Work vehicle

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Stick Framer, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Stick Framer

Stick Framer New Member

Not sure if it fits in here?

Looking for a new tow vehicle as I've picked up work on the other side of the City
    Currently have a Hilux SR single cab, which will be a bit of a squeeze for three guys every day

Tossing up between Triton or Navara ST Dual cabs, quote today 30k for a Triton and 38k for the Nissan, and Nissan are curently offering 0.9% Finance which makes about the same monthly repayment
    Reading different websites and many are saying forget Triton as it has poor resale, and Navara has bad rap for being under powered

Other options I'll look into are Amarok but sounds like its drive train needs some improvement, D-Max gets the best reports so that may also be the go?

Has anyone else been down this path and if so what was your result?

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good reports on the D-Max but not great. (Just been a passenger in one... the owner bitched about it but I couldn't see what he was on about.)

Amaroks are quirky. IMO, they're not properly set-up for RHD. E.g. Drivers Leg gets squeezed against the transmission tunnel. They also have bolts instead of fixed lugnuts that screw all the way out when changing a tyre (of which I do a lot of :/ ) Which means you can't just throw the spare rim onto the hub & studs. You have to line up the holes on the rim with the holes in the hub before you can bolt the wheel on. It's a pain when you're tired.

Navara (currently in the process of destroying this one) are no way under powered. How that little 2.5L pulls +2 tonnes of metal and glass around so quickly has got me stumped, but it really goes hard. Gearbox is atrocious though, the Lock-up converter on mine sounds/feels like I'm driving over a ripple strip before it engages. G'box can really lag (hang onto a gear for too long/too high revs) and then snap into the next gear with a chirp of the tires which makes me wonder when the diff is gunna let go. Also, last week it locked itself in LOw Range and I had a real time trying to trick it back into High 2x4. Also, due to corrugations, bits and peices are falling off all over it. 150K and so far I've lost remote low beam angle agjustment, Passenger window control, cruise control & the CD player is packing it in. Might be OK for the city though.

Triton I drove suffered from serious turbo lag and lots of fit and finish issues. After sales support was reprehensible.

Last Hilux I had ('09 model) felt underpowered and 'loose' but was predictable & never let me down.

New Ford Ranger might be out of your price range, but they pretty good. Only been a passenger in 1 so far...but they're a big truck. Bigger than a 200 Series Land Cruiser!!!!

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I bought a new triton last year & have been flogging it round the atrocious roads in asia for 18 months showing no mercy for it with zero problems not even a rattle only needing a wheel alignment . The thing with new cars is the 5000 km services they start to add up ....fast

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I am not even interested in this range of cars, just wanted to say, what a great review.

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I had a mazda bravo for 16 years. Didn't tow with it but it was a great car considering it was a 4 cylinder. The new ones are 6 think.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Current model BT-50 (4WD) are very good vehicles, they have an upgraded transmission or transfer case I think which improves towing performance longevity. Known issues we have experienced so far with this model are that the bull bar rattles loose and one of the hoses rubs on the fuel line and fails, they have 5 cylinders.

Maybe too expensive though.

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker