Woopsy......Cleaning a 92.5 coin Falklands Self Sufficiency

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by BenKenobi, Mar 5, 2016.

1. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Well I don't mind admitting my own screw ups, but for all my research I just did not see this one coming. have been meaning to get around to cleaning a few of my older coins, not that they are particularly valuable, just wanted to see how using ammonia would go. So anyways the coin in question is a Falklands Celebrating 100 years Self Sufficiency think its a 5 ounce coin, which I paid 60 bucks for on the bay. So in she goes into Ammonia and Distilled solution watched some of the grubby bits come off then gave one or two spots a very light brush with a q tip while in solution, all good. Let the coin soak for about 10 min then out she came and dropped into distilled water for rinse washed around a bit and noted some weird translucent goo coming off the coin, turned the coin over to the queenie side and then it hit me, the coin was coated with a lacquer of some description, this was a mint applied finish and logically to prevent tarnish forming on the surfaces. Well needless to say I will not be cleaning any 925 coins ever again, now thinking about giving it a Rhodium bath so I don't have to bother with it ever again. So for those that don't know, please learn from my experience.

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Correct. Don't simply put your coin in a bath.

Many older coins may have some coating. They are water base clear lacquer which can be taken off by soaking in a hot bath.
    Their appearance does makes the coin looks yellowish as they aging.
    Sometimes peel off looks like a layer of skin.

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

So many Fables..

Firstly.. if you dont like toning / patina.. you should reconsider investing in silver as this is an intagral, beautfiul, amazing part of silver!

Idle hands are the devil's workshop

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Leave well enough alone!

Not only are you wasting your time and chemicals, you are destroying the coins value and future satisfaction of someone who appreciates the wabi sabi of older silver that has wonderfully endured the test of time :)

Toned silver forever!