Wonder why are there so many colored Silver eagles from 1999 and 2000?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Dutch Silver Bullion Collector, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

I wonder why there are specific so many colorized coins of the silver eagle from the years 1999 and 2000, and why much less from other years before or after???

The only thing i can think of is the millennium but i don't think that's it..

Who knows this??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. db23

db23 Member

They must have figured out quickly that these are money losers. These are coins that are destined for the melt buckets of coin shops across the US.

There is a company in Germany that decided to play this game is is painting all sorts of silver eagle & canadian maple designs on 2013 & 2014 coins. I wonder how long it will take them and the dealers they sucker into buying these that they WILL lose money on them.

3. trozau

trozau Member

Maybe they started it in 1999 and let it ride another year in 2000 but never took off. So, banished into never land after 2 years of experimentation on colorized ASEs. :)

4. crutch024

crutch024 Member

The US Mint has never produced a colored ASE, they are not official products. They were only "painted" after market

5. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In my early days of stacking I found them attractive, but not attractive enough to buy one. Part of the early stackers mentality to have at least one of everything.

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Or perhaps one of everything that you either really like or think will gain value more over time than other coins.

There's nothing inherently wrong about that mentality. It's also the mentality that has made seasoned stackers / coin collectors / coin dealers perhaps a tiny little (emphasis on little) profits at times when selling these types of after market colored coins that they may have purchased years ago and are now ready to depart with them.

It's all part of the game. Haakma some day, if looking to sell these pretty, colored Eagles, will likely find a newbie who will buy them and Haakma will, in the very least, have enjoyed holding and owning some interesting, colorful silver bullion coins.

Personally, I have never purchased after market colored coins but so long as they are not being falsely marketed by dealers, it's all okay like that. Afterall, Haakma now has enough advice from seasoned stackers here to know that these sorts of colored coins will likely not gain much premium (if any at all) over the premium s/he paid. They are not good investment coins as pretty as they might be.

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They're still being made so there's evidently some sort of market for them. I've bought a few holographic versions but the painted ones never did it for me.

A lot of people see them as 'damaged' so you might be able to pick those kinds up cheaper than usual. A few dips in silver polish or 3M's SafeStrip should help remove the paint to give it a slightly better resale value