Will Pandas keep appreciating?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by RetardedMonkey, Aug 7, 2011.

1. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I have some 2010 pandas. Not sure whether to hold or sell.

So do you think Pandas from previous year mintages will increase as new years are released in higher numbers?
    Or have older years reached their maximum premiums and newer coins will just command the standard premium for any silver coin?

2. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Crystal ball gazing is always difficult. I'm of the opinion that they will appreciate like any other limited mintage coin, probably similar to S2 lunars. As more people become interested in silver coins there will be people looking to fill out sets. I think the post 2000 panda sets will be very popular all over the world and the 2000 to 2010 with lower mintage numbers will comand premiums.

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I would rather own a 2010 tiger than a 2010 panda

4. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah those tigers are taking off in price.

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

The tigers took their time. After I bought 5 boxes back in early September 2010, they didn't go up much at all until this summer.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Depends for how long you've owned them and how much you paid.

I expect older pandas will continue to appreciate in value as the market for them grows outside and inside China. But it will be haphazard, with some years and issues outpacing others. Newer Pandas may well follow the same path. Who knows? The Australian market for them is basically completely out of touch with the main market.

Now in a perfect world where stability is guaranteed, Pandas and other numismatic items will continue to be of investment as opposed to bullion value. What happens in the next few years is anybody's guess, but if you've got a product that is worth more than it's current melt value, and you can get at least what you paid for it at it's current melt value, and you don't need the cash at the moment, why would you sell your 2010 Pandas? Hold them and sell them in a couple of years if you want to, by then if the bum has fallen out of the Panda market you'll get more than you paid for them anyway at spot. Does that make sense? :rolleyes: Or you could sell your Pandas now and buy something else - what would it be though? Australian Lunars? Singaporean Lunars? Macau Lunars? ASE's? Maples? Phillies? Andean fuglies etc etc etc etc Which of these will boom?

Is your stash well balanced? That's what you need to consider. Have you got dog ugly bullion as your main stash, as well as fractional coins and say 10- 15% numis?

So you choose what you want to do.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

What do you mean by this? :D

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

:cool:

Be prepared for lowball offer on next item you have for sale from moi.

9. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

An index of low-population Pandas shows they are up 594% in the last 5 years*. Demand for these coins is increasing in China and the rest of the world. I don't have a crystal ball either but the conditions are place for this trend to continue. There are great opportunities for fun and profit in this area.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

* http://www.pandacollector.com/roi2.html

10. petercamperdown

petercamperdown New Member

I have to agree with you Jung. I am sure all us Pandaphiles are holding onto what we have and enjoying the ride. I'll put up some pandas in a few days for auction and see how our little Panda market is going on here at SS.