Why

Discussion in 'Silver' started by rodmadman, Apr 23, 2015.

1. rodmadman

rodmadman New Member

silver maple leafs are a $5 ASE with 9999 purity and the siver eagle is a $1 ASE with 999 purity yet the eagles have a higher premium.:rolleyes:

2. rodmadman

rodmadman New Member

Interesting but it does not answer my question. To me (for present economics) the dollar value of the coins at those levels are irrelevant nad the purity is virtually irrelevant but the fact that the maple is about 2 1/2% less expensive than the eagle is bizzare to me.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would say it would be something to do with the size of the market, USA has a larger market so can keep unit costs down. Australia has a smaller market so our costs are higher, Canada is in the middle.

I don't think that it would have much to do with the US$ being a reserve currency as I would think most of the market is domestic.

4. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Simple $1 US in the near future is expected to be worth at least $5 Canadian :) :)

Best buy Britannia,s as the $ will never reach parity or above the mighty Pound! :) :)

5. Ouija

Ouija New Member

Eagles are more expensive, due to their demand. I know the higher premiums add a lot to the dollar-cost average of acquisition, but that is simply an intangible added value, that is recouped when the coin is sold.

I consider that part of the premium I pay is offset by the fact that I would be able to liquidate the Eagles for cash in an instant, if I needed to, because of their popularity and easy negotiability.

I am sure the same would be true for the coins produced in other countries.

Not only is the Eagle popular, but this is a great time to be buying. With the Dollar being strong, and Silver being weak, a Gold-Silver Ratio of 75, and the free-shipping offers, the decision to make a large purchase seems like a no-brainer.

I just received a new credit card, which offers a very generous credit line, and no interest payments for eighteen months. I am considering getting a Monster Box with the card, as I feel certain that the price will rise before the card has to be paid off to avoid paying interest.

6. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Along the same line of the original question, for Perth Mint coins:

1 oz = 1$
    2 oz = 2$
    5 oz = 8$ (!!! Why not 5?)
    10oz = 10$

Now, explain this...

7. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

The Armenian Noah's Arks are he worst for face value to silver weight. Drives me nuts about them!