Why the craziness?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bobmin357, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bobmin357

bobmin357 New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but not really new to silver/gold stacking. Not to long ago I decided to check out youtube for any videos on silver collecting and I was astounded by the amount of craziness I found. It seemed that nearly every video was produced by someone that firmly believed the end of the world was nigh. I found little value in people explaining what coins would be useful in a bartering situation when the governments of the world collapse.

I stack. It's part hobby, part investment. I do it because I like the idea of having some wealth socked away that I can look at. As much as I have invested in stocks and the like, there's nothing to really hold in one's hand. I can't say the same with silver or gold.

So I'm left with the question, why the end of the world craziness? Aren't there stackers that stack because it's a decent investment, or because they just enjoy it?

2. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the nut house.

People stack for different reasons.
    To answer your 3 questions in the last line.

End of World Crazies - Who knows but its amusing at times and on the random chance someone lucks out on a conspiracy theory well you got some tangible PMs (if they are even useful in said end of world scenario is also highly debatable)
    Decent Investment - depends who you ask...Ask someone who loaded up in 2011 they would say no, ask someone who loaded up around New Years they would perhaps say yes.
    Enjoy it - Sure why not.

Groges likes this.
  3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are investors in precious metals who see value in an asset that has underperformed for the past few years. I invest in physical, mining shares, ETFs and futures. I wouldn't hesitate to sell out of my positions completely if I thought gold and silver were overvalued in favour of other assets in different sectors. Gold and silver has a habit of attracting conspiracy nut jobs so get use to it. Just ignore the bullsh*t and do your own thing.

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

The goons who post YouTube vids frequently do so because they have no other way of getting anybody to listen to them.
    That being said---Their credibility is everything that could be expected and they deserve every shred of respect that's based on that fact.

5. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Humans have been around for hundreds of thousands of years so the prospect of extinction is slim ... as for a decent investment if you bought and held about 5 years ago your investment would have gone nowhere ... if you bought when it was $40+ you would be looking at a massive loss ... if it was 1938 and thought the economy was legit and considered yourself to be a "rational" person you would be "kindling" ... if you like to stack physical to have and to hold until death do you part then pm's might be the place to be ...

6. Sneakypeen

Sneakypeen Active Member

I stack because I thoroughly enjoy it. I also believe that right now it is a good investment. Even if the price hikes up and I sell most of my stack, I will continue to stack just not at the same rate. Do it because you enjoy it and you can't really lose.

7. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

There are quite a selection of nutjobs available to anyone who will lend them the time and allow their influence. Am I building a Shelter underground...No. Am I looking after my financial interest until TSHTF...Yes, no one else is going to do it for you, unless you fit into the silver spoon fed category. Seriously if the world falls into anarchy pm and material possessions are not going to save your arse. The people who are making shelters will end up being a greater target. If pm does have some sort of bartering power, you will still be a target.
    For me personally, I started into metal when I was a kid, my old man was a metallurgist and we were heavily involved in prospecting, ever since then the allure of shiny stuff has been held close to me, I think now its a bond that will never be broken. I love to do my own refining and bar pours, just because its something I have always done and get a kick out of it. I even got myself into jewellery making and casting along the way. As sneaky says do it because you enjoy it.

8. systematic

There was an underground SHTF bunker on sale recently ... military grade built and paid for with tax payers money ... it got a lot of interest ... some people thought it was a bargain ...

9. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

It all depends IMO of what happens ISHTF, WILL it be a banking collapse? Will it be a major war? Take your pick!

I was until recently of the opinion that nations like the US WOULD BE UNABLE TO PAY THE $19 trillion debt. However, I have since learned about the ESF and the US$ LOOKS SAFE. However I cant say the same for banks in Europe, Some of them are exposed to $70trillion in DERIVATIVES...One goes down then they will all fall and the whole bloody structure will come crashing down. When will it happen? I don't know, but I fear it may happen soon.

The war scenario would IMO , IF IT WERE TO BE fought with atomic weapons, then it will be all over as the world will be poisoned with radiation.

I wonder why politicians included ours have shelters to go to? The must be deranged to think like that. :)

Regards Errol 43

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

YouTube is full of crazies on all sorts of topics, and there are many normal silver stackers who don't have a YouTube Channel.

You have just found a subsection of silver crazies with youtube channels.

It isn't that decent of an investment for me, when you add in the issues around storage and insurance on top of the fact that I have lost money on it. There are many other investments which would have been a better use of my time and money.

It used to be fun, before the internet, but then most things were. The internet is fantastic for communication and research but sucks for most other things.

I stack because I am a compulsive hoarder, I am sure there was a reason when I started but now I just do it out of habit.

11. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most doomsday/survival preppers stack. They must be the crazies you saw.

However if the SHTF happens one day, the preppers will be the best placed to survive it and everyone else not. That also means that everyone calling them preppers crazy were wrong. ;)

12. systematic

I think the craziness is from boredom seeing silver go side wayssssssss ...

13. Mintaka

Mintaka Active Member

I am beginning to dislike Megan Kelly. Now where was I? America is finished. The properly angry man-hating lesbians with no skin in the marriage-and-family game have won the culture wars and have destroyed our freedoms in favour of misogynists and miscreants from the ME. Will mankind go with a SHTF war or a German whimper?

14. systematic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhJCTFZf03A[/youtube]

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Crazy people like the doomsdayers and religious fanatics thrive not only on their own fear, but on the fear of others. So, if they can convince even 1 person that the world will end in disaster soon, that is a benefit to their own sense of worth.

That said, not all people who spew doomsday rhetoric believe the crap they spew; some, I believe, are using that rhetoric as a sales pitch and spew that crap in the hopes that the end-of-times crap they spew will drive some gullible people into buying into either their brand of religion or survival products and precious metals. In that process, these sales pitch con artists see themselves as benefiting from the fear they spread.

There are legitimate things to be fearful or worried about....an imminent end-of-days scenario is definitely not one of them.

16. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

crazy stacking and stacking crazy is all about metals

money not food that can last many life time ~

they are still around to be found, and most of the time other people found them. their stacks

18. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You should always be prepared. You don't have to follow the wack-jobs but to rely on the government or others is not what life is about.

Try to learn as much as you can, while you are fit and healthy, learn how to grow food, preserve food, build structures, make a fire, shoot straight, hunt, and fish using traps and make potable water and how to stay clean and healthy (Pers hygiene) That's not wacky, that's having life skills which will stand you in good stead for the future and you will also have confidence in your own ability. Imagine being able to walk away from modern society and live on your own wits.

Look at history and not the to distant past, you'll see men, women and children slaughtered by the millions and folk dragged into conscription to fight BS wars that have the young men die and the Generals and Polies live.

Next time you browse youtube, view some of the war atrocities committed by the Japs, Germans, Russians, Americans, British, Christians, Muslims and then take a trip to Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Libya, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Iraq, Ukraine, Moldova, Argentina or maybe any of the Tsunami effected areas of Japan, Indonesia or maybe be those folk effected by Hurricane Katrina or Cyclone Winston.

There's a tonne of things you can do that may seem wacky to others but its up to you to decide how prepared you need to be when you are rulled by wack-jobs! :|

Cheers

PS Once you have worked out your life skills and life objectives then you will know what type of metal to buy.

20. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It's one thing to learn skills and understand history, money, politics and many other important subjects it's a totally different thing to now stockpile 2 years worth of survival food and stuff. I know a decades long marriage that came to an end because the guy fell off the wagon and became one of those end-of-days survivalist crazies.

There's no good reason in the world to believe that the world will end tomorrow....that sort of insane thinking should be left only to the religious fanatics and other such delusional people.

It's dangerous for people to succumb to the end-of-days nonsense.

The only primary prepping we should be making is for our safe and healthy future (and that of our family and close friends) and for leaving the world a better place for the generations of good and decent people that follow in the centuries to come.