why silver ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by vinod, Jun 14, 2011.

1. vinod

vinod New Member

Hi, can somebody point me to the facts regarding consumption and production of silver ? How do I know which article on the internet tells the facts and which one is selling a story ? I am just trying to make sense of why silver should be an investment.

2. somerset

somerset Member Silver Stacker

3. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

vinod - also Google Ted (Theodore) Butler... although he's a big Silver Bull, his articles present good factual reports...after reading a few of his 'teachings' I never looked sideways...

4. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

5. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Hi,

I only joined ss recently - took me a while to work out the jargon on here! :) But as I never believe everything I read I set about reading as much about silver as I could and the last week I have really trawlled the internet, I even tried 'silver to crash' last night just to see if anyone thinks the opposite . I did find one mention that silver may crash to $24 an ounce but overall, right across the world, people believe that silver is under valued and demand will outstrip supply and the price will go up. I think there are many exaggerations out there but my own personal opinion (not that it is worth much - just gut feeling) is that it should be around $100 ounce going on historical facts.

What I cant understand is - if silver is so undervalued why aren't all the biggest tycoons in the world, those most in the know about these things, buying up big - or are they all going for non physical?

6. BBQ

BBQ Member

I don't know what's real but I have heard from so many experts saying that silver is a good investment and I have proven it so far (earned far more than was possible in a bank account even though my goals were just to protect myself against inflation; in other words, just not going backwards).

It is far more used (and in shorter supply) than gold, apparently.
    I am looking into other investments but for now silver seems the go.

I am pretty much converted and wouldn't keep my money in the banks even if interest were high (I don't believe in them).

7. Rocksteady

Rocksteady New Member

Thanks for the idea, I just changed industrial demand to being up 470% and mine supply being down 80% in 2011, lets see how this works out. Hoping the paper traders and hedge funds use Wikipedia for their info.
    Cheers :lol:

On a serious note: Silver Institute gets all their data from GFMS. These are people who are happy to demand big dollars for their PM price forecasts but very reluctant to show anyone how accurate they actually are.

The actual data on demand and supply is quite vague, it's not like asking how many laptops were made last year and what is the demand for them. Governments and ETF's worldwide claim they have a certain amount of Gold and silver, proving that they are telling the truth is far from easy. (Look at Senator Ron Paul's efforts at simply trying to get Fort Knox audited, as a powerful senator with a lot of clout he gets a lot of resistance at many levels, even from within his own party)

I trust GATA, but at the same time I recommend that you don't trust anyone. Every person you encounter on here has a vested interest in PM prices rising (me included) so you should do your own due diligence.

Before anyone believes the GFMS via the silver institute please read:

https://marketforceanalysis.com/res...s/LIES-DAMN-LIES-and-GFMS-GOLD-STATISTICS.pdf

http://maxkeiser.com/2011/04/25/gfm...rott-has-pointed-this-out-innumberable-times/

http://insideinformationdaily.info/silver-lining.htm

and...
    http://marketforceanalysis.com/article/latest_article_123110.html

If you scroll down you'll see that the GFMS CEO is number one for the annual moron of the year award

8. GenYTrader

GenYTrader Member

One thing to note of how small the silver market is.....It would only take a couple of these rich guys money to buy physical silver and things would be very different. One thing to remember is that nothing is ever 100%, I beleive in doing research so I can stack the odds in my favour.

9. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have a read up on the history to the Hunt Brothers...Silver is like poison to a big tycoon...they would be dragged to Jail accused of corning the market...but would be surprised they have a little tucked away somewhere :)