Why do you buy silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by smokymcpot, Jan 13, 2013.

1. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

Whats a get out stash shiney?

2. gary3029

gary3029 New Member

To have a stash to compliment my retirement in 5 years.... Not that I am counting!! Retiring early and hitting the open in my camper van until they cart me off to the the old folkes home.
    Not in for the profit, but to have a resource that I will have to work to sell so can ask the question do I really need to buy the item rather than using a card to with draw money easily. Also to have a resource which does not show on any system so big brother does not know. As long as the bottom does not fall out of gold and silver over the next 15 years it will work for me.

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I would have told him 6 months in advance :|

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

B@astard's probably handsome and lactose tolerant to boot... I hate him already :p

5. 97guns

97guns New Member

silver = austalian for beer

6. Mimaki

Mimaki Member

Long term hedge and as a hobby. Previous hobby's have been very cash-flow negative...

7. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

i buy silver cos if i hold cash i find my self blowing it on dumb shit that i don't need.
    it is a fun hobby, i mean.. nothing like pulling out your box of shiny metal and pretending you're a pirate!! .
    but above all.. i just like it.. the fact is it a price for a weight.. a investment you can hold in your hand, roll in your fingers.

8. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

If he's a mate of shiny's, he could be a cross dresser too.

9. W0LFMAN

W0LFMAN New Member

I buy silver because, no-one else does.
    Around where I live anyway, no-one cares in Ireland, of the end of world/money system. Its not in their construct of reality.
    Therefore I generaly pickup silver below spot price.

Youtube got me here.

Idea's and comments in silverstackes as a whole are respectable ( sometimes tempered). The general Moto here being, stack silver and hold onto it. Keep getting as much as you can afford. don`t let the ups and downs on the spot price effect you mood.

My 2 silver cents.

10. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

@fishguts, thanking him just encourages him

11. mmm....shiney!

Because his major priority is to travel, but he is aware that he has financial commitments, so if he saves for gold and silver, in order to meet his financial obligations he has to sell it to pay his mortgage. He might as well just save $ so he is not exposed to expenses associated with premiums etc. And his property is close to cash flow neutral, it would be a shame to sell it, especially in this depressed market.

12. mmm....shiney!

Money you hide under the bed, or in the wall or in a box in the back yard that you can grab easily if you need to exit a locale. Or if you live in an area prone to natural disasters, it can be used to pay for goods or services in the event ATM/eftpos machines don't work. :)

13. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

I don't know why i buy it , but I should be more careful with it when I do. I leave it lying around and my wife steals it. So far she has 1 x 10 oz bar, 5 x 1 oz coins, and 8 gold coins that she wont give back. I'm hoping she has stashed them...

Bill

14. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Silver is like a drug for me.I'm all nervous before I buy it,I really need to buy some.After the purchase I feel really good. But then I want some more.I'm really hooked.

15. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

:lol:
    Then you need help.
    Therapy will help just a suggestion. Try sleep with the bars. Then let us know if it help.

16. Zero

Zero New Member

I am Buying for both reasons!

I have a few different motivations for buying silver, so instead of commenting on deflation or investing I will state my reasons on a personal level.

MY whole life I have spent my money on electronics, eating out and other bullshit. I was young. I have little to show for my past spending, beside great memories. Now that im going back and finishing my last could years of school while living at home, I don't need to spend my money on bullshit, because finishing school is my focus now. So any money that comes into possession will be saved. Why not save that money is something that isn't losing value every day? I would rather have chunks of metal in my drawer.
    They can go up or down but that's a risk im willing to take.

Money burns a hole in my pocket. Always has, always will. When I have cash, I have this burning need to acquire goods. Stacking lets me fulfill this need while protecting what little wealth I have.

I sold like 10-40% silver halves and a hand full old old gold chains my mother gave me that she got for $80 about 20 years ago.(they were super grimey and dirty) last month and the buyer was more than happy to pay spot. so enough metal to fit in my hand brought me about $600. Had a great time in San Francisco with the money, but when I got back I started thinking about the metals I sold and what the money I received for it meant.

This made everything click and I will never look at money and currency the same again!

-Zero

17. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

HA sounds like me ;)
    Welcome & good luck stacking :)

18. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

You and I, we're both very similar. Haha ;)

19. crewy

crewy Active Member

Because I believe that I need to look after myself and my family in the future and into my retirement (30+ years away), and I am pessimistic that the bankers, govt and super funds have the ability to deal with the enormous debt/gambling/greed/nonsense that the monetary system is fast turning into. And Silver is an industrial commodity with monetary value/history.

So stacking slowly as part of my plan for retirement or emergency only.

Crewy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03cWio-zjk

20. Muckdiver

Muckdiver New Member

The first reason I buy it is because I collect coins and like to look at things that are shiny. The second reason I buy it is that instead of wasting $30 on a dinner or some random product that I'll get bored of, I'm fulfilling my desire of buying myself something while not wasting my money because I can always get it back.

All in all, it helps with giving me that little reward of buying myself something while simultaneously saving :)