Why did PM stop minting regular 2oz Kooks?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Mar 22, 2014.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What happened to the 2oz Kooks in 2013 and 2014? Not popular in earlier years?

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth's 2oz Kooks and Lunars have always been popular but the weirdest thing is that Perth have listed the 2oz Kookaburra's in the "Currency Determination" but have never struck the coins.

Dealers have commented that the coins aren't popular but as we can see by the mintage figures of previous years, the 2oz Kooks have reasonable sales, unfortunately Perth stopped striking the coins just as silver prices went through the roof. 2009 was the last 2oz Kookaburra.

See the mintages here:
    http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...ra_Silver_Bullion_Coin_Series_1990_-_2014.pdf

Unfortunately, Perth have other priorities and fwiw I think their production facilities just can't handle additional coins; look at the delay on the 5oz and 10oz Lunars.

The Perth mint installed a new coin press a few years ago but that hasn't helped keep up with demand and of course making the 2oz blanks takes time; I suppose they can only produce so much and...like any business there are bottle necks due to human and mechanical resource limitations.

Here's the Determinationsthat show what Perth had in mind for the 2oz Kooks.

You can check the other determinations for additional info of what was in the mill.

Example

2011 Silver Kookaburra Silver Bullion Coin
    The design for the 2011 Silver Kookaburra (1kg, 10oz, 2oz and 1oz) Silver Bullion coins features a kookaburra with its wings outstretched perched on a tree stump.
    http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010L00615/Explanatory Statement/Text

2015 Australian Kookaburra - Silver Bullion Coins
    The design on the 2015 Australian Kookaburra (1kg, 10oz, 2oz, 1oz) silver bullion coins, consists of a circle of dots which encloses a representation of a kookaburra perched on a tree stump and surrounded by foliage. The coins include the following inscriptions, 'THE AUSTRALIAN KOOKABURRA', '1990-2015', P25 along with the weight of the coin and '999 SILVER'.
    http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013L02142/Explanatory Statement/Text

Lets hope Perth will re-introduce the 2oz Kook; imo the 2oz coins are the perfect size coin. :)

H

[​IMG]
    Source:

3. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Agreed. The 2oz Lunar has always been a great seller and with the 1oz Kook selling out so quickly, I reckon there'll definitely be a demand.

It helps that the Kookaburra is usually a nice design and would benefit from the enlargement. The lack of a 5oz version is also a vote in favour.

4. Holdfast

There's a 2015 2oz Silver bullion coin due to be released.

When?

Maybe October this year. :)

H

5. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If Perth Mint do happen to mint and release a 2oz 2015 Kookaburra I would be very interested to learn if Perth Mint have any intentions of back dating and minting the 2oz Kooks from 2010 on

Suggest they maybe very popular

6. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I dont see them popular here in Oz.I always had trouble to move them. even for a 09 when spot was way higher...

7. Holdfast

Did you try to sell the 2oz 2009 Kookaburra on Silver Stackers and for how much?

If you have some for sale please start a sales thread. :)

H

Edit

Last 2oz 2009 Kookaburra sold on Ebay for $129.70 on 17 March 2014 Item number 191095711677

Also, see item number 181296290993 which sold for $121.95

2008 2oz Kookaburra sold for $171.51 see Item number 161185944362

161234595556 for $146.99

8. RichardAL

RichardAL Active Member Silver Stacker

It seems to me that 2 oz silver bullion Kookaburra coins from the Perth Mint all have declared mintages up to and including 2009 and that the 2 oz coin has not been produced since 2009 (The_Australian_Kookaburra_Silver_Bullion_Coin_Series_1990_ -_2015 adobe acrobat 7.0 document).

In spite of this I have already confirmed by telephone and email that pool, allocated silver holdings are readily available to be collected as 2 ozt silver bullion Kookaburra coins from the Perth Mint. The year of the 2 oz Kookaburra coin is not specified on the order form.

So I'd say that the Perth Mint hasn't stopped minting these coins.

9. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

2 oz Lunar perhaps

They might give you old stocks... recently found numbers of old coins back in the store room... :lol:

10. RichardAL

I know what you're saying, but the order form specifies Kooks, down to a product code and that's the 2015 Freight Guide.

I mean that a 2 oz lunar is obviously not a 2 oz kookaburra - as specified by product code on the order form...

11. Golden ChipMunk

Should have end with 5 or 2 in bars.

Then you end up with 5 oz bar or 2 x 1 oz bars .... :p :lol:

12. RichardAL

The actual product code is A2CC020 2ozt Kookaburra coin - which is exactly what anyone would want, right ? Nothing to be substituted!

13. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the heads up, I checked and Perth Mint is only making 2oz lunars and it seems no one told Depository division to modify their product list to remove 2oz kooks. The fact that Depository has had 2oz kooks listed for all these years basically means no one has ever requested allocation of them, otherwise the staff would have realised when they tried to place an order on the factory. I'll get the website changed. Sorry if any hopes were raised.

FYI, I asked the Depository guys to check and apparently only 2 clients hold 2oz kooks as allocated, a total of 320 coins, so not exactly popular.

14. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Off topic kinda but anyone know of any round capsules for a 2006 2 oz?

15. RichardAL

No worries - that's exactly what it was.

16. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

So what do you do if some those allocated 2ozers are years you didnt mint but announced were available and allocated? say sorry ? lol

17. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The 2oz kooks are one of the nicest coins made by the PM. They are hugely popular and sell on EBay for 4-8x spot value. I agree with Holdfast - a great coin and a great pity it was stopped. The popularity with general coin and bullion collectors clearly flies in the face of the allocated PM holders who are probably more about collecting cheap and as many as possible oz than quality or design. The 2oz coins from 2001-2007 are hard to find and have small mintages - should be on everyone's to buy list if you can find them.

18. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't think you understand the concept of allocated storage. When those two investors bought the 2oz coins we made them up and put them in the vault with the client's name on them. I checked on the vault stock listing and one client has 2005 dated coins and the other 2007.

BTW, what premium above spot would people pay for those years?

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

eBay sales from here and the U.S. have them going for $100-$150 per coin.

20. Golden ChipMunk

From collectors point of views...

- Can't completed a set, if the mint decided later not to continue the size... Start & Stop half way to the series.
    How many series have been effected? If they are not popular, just stop?
    What the point of keep introducing newer varieties?

For example, the Lunar Series....Take for example, Series I , 1/2 oz Ag there are 9 coins there to the set... not a complete set ( The first Model example )

Introducing different sizes, varieties in the middle of the Series II.

Recent Koalas Series, decided to stop the 1/2 oz. In the meantime bringing out the 5 oz Koala in the middle of the series.....

There are three main series - " The Kookaburras, The Lunar & The Koalas " , keep focusing on this, I believe they are doing very well.

Please take note and give this information to the team that decides what to do....

Can also invite me to the mint anytime for opinions ;) Chip