Why Crowns and US Dollars were a terrible investment compared to .999

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 1for1, Feb 24, 2012.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

When i was able to get silver coins like kooks and eagle etc for $15 i still had to pay around $20-$25 for 1937 crowns and world crown size coins.

I regret to say i purchased a decent percentage in morgans and peace, crowns, 37's .. the 1966's 50's are better!

Im kicking myself buying any peace and morgan and canadian dollar stuff now tbh.. maybe its cause this isnt America or the fear of faked ones.. i hadnt even seen a fake until recently.

Seems like they fetch about $10-$20 more than they did then ie: $30-$40 if your lucky for a peace/morgan now.

The kook (and did) i could of purchased went from $15 to $42 today, point im making is pure silver went up far more than the sterling and 90 fine stuff. Even generic is at least 120% since the drop in 08 yet peace, morgans, 5 francs etc*, silver thalers and pre decimal havign not risin to the extent that pure has, i cannot attribute this to a linear phenomenon - only that its happend in this case which means it could continue or may reverse also?

(8 reales/peso and Memento are the exception.. brings on the opposite of this rant, numismatic silver that i did profit from..

1for1

2. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm a long-term fan of Morgs & Peace dollars and sell most back into the US & Canada. Some of the prices I've seen (and they sell!) for mint Morgans from a bu roll thru Apmex, weathered or not but kept in top condition, not any particularly special mint mark or date are over US$130.

I sell the same premium condition for $70 unless it's a CC in which case I just send 'em to auction in SF... And as far as fakes go I've found four in the last year on around 300 coins (no Peace fakes, only Morgans), so never had a problem as all of men are weighed when they come in... and I think M&P $'s are due a bit of an upturn - just not at daft prices.

On the Crowns I'm out of modern crowns but still doing a bomb on Victorian Crowns & Florins... Consistent supply of quality grades is becoming an issue in fact for me... :D x

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

1for1

I'm really sorry mate, but I can't follow what you're saying. I have some '37 Crowns so I'm interested in your experience but apart from the fact you're obviously unhappy about being in possession, I can't make out why!

Could you elaborate please??

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Oppertunity cost.. im kicking myself for purchasing these when i could of got .999 cheaper that would now be worth around 50-100% more!

Still better than if i held fiat but to me its a different investment to strictly silver and should be considered as much, purpose of post was to share this with other forum memebers.. if you like silver as an investment.. get .999 as close to spot as possible.. anything else is deterring from your original goal.. if you deter you should familarise yourself with this new investment niche.. but the mistake i made was thinking there % gain would be linear.

cheers,

1for1

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Cheer up 1for1, hindsight is always a bitch :)

I have done similar things to you and have regretted it. I think WHY DID I BUY THAT? WHY?

But now I just put it all down as experience. Might be an expensive experience but I learned something from it and it's priceless (or so I tell myself).

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Haha.. its not like that tbh.. just thought it was interesting to see how it panned out.. past is no gaurentee of the future either.

1for1