Why bother buying pretty pictures ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silversearcher, Apr 9, 2016.

1. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Is it any wonder ? With so many dud milk spotted coins arriving after purchase what is the point ? Yep, sales maybe up on ASE's or Maples as just a stake in bullion. It appears that buyers collectively are pulling the pin on all these bullion coins with pretty pictures that milk spot. Last week I had a conversation with a overseas friend that many stackers in THE US are now melting their milky coins into bars. Finally people are waking up. Hopefully there is a change within the industry that quality control will be beefed up. Many in the industry have stuck their heads in the sand for too long and avoided this issue. Pull your heads out of the sand. Your days are numbered when it comes to minting and selling shoddy merchandise. The public are fed up. For newbies, here is a small sample of a few coins that are worth avoiding.

Noahs Arks, Samali Elephants, Provident series, 2016 Kangaroos, 2011 Kooks and the list goes on and on.

Feel free to add any milky coin you have purchased to the list without stating the obvious - Maples and Canadian wildlife series.

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The people who dislike (is that too tame a word?) milk spots are those who are generally looking to flip coins at some point for a profit. There's nothing wrong with wanting to do that. But milk spots can pose a real problem for them.

There are others though who don't care about milk spots one bit. These are investors who consider only the silver content and weigh....and that's basically it. If they ever sell their milky coins, they are likely expecting around spot price.

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that is why the coins are just ounces, there is nothing extra as spot on will make it look real bad.

but for a bar, the more metal nakedness, there is no spot to worry about and people are willing to pay premium for that junk :lol:

4. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Its because so many are way to anal about perfection! They want the most shiny flawless silver coin possible when in fact it is just silver nothing special just silver! If you really must have shiny shiny silver coins just get the Brasso out and give them a good old clean!

When those precious shiny shiny coins start to tarnish its then called patina to hide the foolishness of buying the most shiny coins that will eventually tarnish lol

I still cant get over people handling silver with cotton gloves even though its in a protective like a capsule lol

5. Allthatglitters

Allthatglitters New Member

Don't want to hijack the thread but as someone who is more familiar with gold I'm trying to understand the private silver market. Of the 2016 ASE and Maple tubes that I have opened it appears that 10% to 15% have milk spots. Less so in coins I purchased in say 2011. It doesn't really worry me as all I purchased were 20 or 25 1oz lots of silver with pretty pictures on them. I can't imagine trying to sell these coins one at a time, maybe a tube at a time. I suppose what I am asking is the main market for private sale of silver 1oz coins one at a time with each having to be perfect and if so what do you do with the other 10 to 20% or is there a market for the sale of tubes of coins as delivered and buyers take them as they are.

6. silversearcher

There should just be a 1 oz planchet with nothing on it at close to spot as possible ( unless people want unallocated ). That should cut the cost down due to it not being struck. Then just bars if people can afford more ounces. All these milked up pretty pictures are a big fat waste of time. :D

7. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

???

Don't complain about GST slapped on top...
    You have no idea what you are talking about....

PAW

8. anighttrader

anighttrader Member

If that is the case why don't they buy bars then? They are cheaper to begin with. It sounds strange to me that anyone would pay a bit more for a coin that will develop milk spots and eventually be worth as much as a plain bar.

9. silversearcher

PAW ?

10. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Ha Ha Ha welcome to the "machine" :lol:

Buy them for "you" not to sell to "them" :cool:

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Because enough (maybe a lot???....I don't know) of silver enthusiasts prefer coins over bars any day of the week. And there are valid arguments in favor of those who will assert that coins like ASE's or other popular bullion coins are a better way to invest your money than bars. For me, if I am looking only for the most ounces of .999 silver for the least money, I would go with bars since they have less premium attached.

That said, I no longer buy silver only for the value of the content/weight of the metal but rather I'm one of those people who likes pretty pictures on coins and will pay higher premiums for that. I also enjoy buying certain bullion coins that are TPG graded in the highest condition available.

In other words, my preferences have changed over time....I might even argue that my silver tastes have matured and my silver stack is diversified......no longer just blobs of flat, ugly metal. :D

12. silversearcher

Who's complaining about GST ? Without GST it's a good time to load up on precious metals anyway. If GST is incurred it just means what I have will be worth even more. You have no idea what your talking about ! Bugger off and trash someone else thread. And keep your bloody advertising out of my threads also. You know what I think of low dealers taking advantage of people.

13. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

You are like a mad dog in the forum barking at anything

Don't you know, precious metal that is blank can occur GST???

You don't have a valid point for argument , just to justified yourself.
    You have lost my respect....

One that can proof something to a certain degree...
    Here I just Hear you Barking all day long ....
    Mad dog....

14. silversearcher

Go away pest. You lost my respect ages ago when you tried to lease a bar at a ridiculous price. Nothing but a scam in eyes of many ( including myself ), and quite a few comments about that. I deliberately ignore all your posts and I have no time to even to comment in them. I do this deliberately, as we both know we are not fans of each other. But at least show some integrity mate, like I do with your posts and ignore them. As you know I have no time for low level dealers who commit such low level acts. Go and taunt your Melbourne buddies, as I'm not interested in having a ongoing feud with you. And stop derailing posts that don't suit your business dealings or your wallet. Kick the shit off your shoes and move on ! I don't want your respect. Respect and loyalty is something earned, and your not even close. That fiasco of you trying to lease a bar showed me your true colours of the type of person you are... Bye Bye and Cheers ( forever I hope ).