why are you not buying? silver is so cheap

Discussion in 'Silver' started by alor, Oct 4, 2014.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thru today (Oct 28) the U.S. mint has sold 4,365,000 silver eagles. This is by far the highest total for October on record, with 3 business days left in the month. It remains to be seen if 2014s yearly total will exceed last year's 42,675,000. But if November and December continue at the September/October 4 million-plus rate, 2014 will smash last year's record. Either way, the U.S. mint is selling more ounces of silver than all U.S. mines combined produce annually.

http://investmentresearchdynamics.c...g-drained-a-new-silver-miner-research-report/

what about the total dollars spent on silver? did it increase too ???

2. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

The numbers of 1oz silver maples is huge this year as well. I think the most ever (possibly second only to 2011).

3. phrenzy

I'm pretty sure that there has been a supply deficit 2 years in a row now. Also, given the number of new buyers of silver in Asia either in raw bullion, jewellery or industrial products I don't think that's a great concern.

I think it would take a pretty significant portion of private investors (the obit ones buying 1oz rounds) selling their stacks before the market took serious note considering what the big kids on wall street buy and sell.

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What happened after Y2K? I thought there was a flood of ASEs onto the market that suppressed prices as the doomers and end-times nut cases sold off their silver when the world didn't end and Jesus didn't return.

I saw somewhere (where's Pirocco when we need him) that central banks were buying up excess gold and silver at a substantial rate to ensure the price doesn't collapse and to maintain orderly markets. We're producing far too much precious metals, way beyond any non-discretionary demand requirement.

5. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Indeed. Are people buying a lot of silver because they think 17 is cheap? What if the price drops to 14 because institutional investors sell it as interest rates rise? Maybe all these people who bought maples for 17 will sell to cut losses? And this will drive the price down to 10? The market always exaggerates, so such a scenario is possible...

6. phrenzy

In terms of personal investors, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of personal and institutional investors has doubled since Y2K. Stagnating wages in the west hasn't reduced the amount of personal PM investment. After spending a couple years studying China I fully buy the PM heading east theory, at least in so far as the increasing amount of disposable income and a predilection for various forms of wealth accumulation. Plus people all over are looking for ways to insulate themselvs from economic instability.
    I think at $40 an ounce and the basic economic conditions of the time, yes too much was coming out of the ground but with literally millions of new investors coming into the market each year, with millions more becoming wealthy enough to consume electronics and photovoltaics for the first time each year I'm not so sure it's true that too much is being mined or minted.

Whether there is an imbalance between investment silver and the amount needed for consumption like jewelry and industry could be important at stalling any spike or slowing any gradual rise as investment silver will quickly re enter the market though.

I suppose I'm saying that as long as there is a shortfall in production and an increase in demand the basics are good. Falling prices aren't impossible but with those two things they can't last forever.

7. nsw2206

nsw2206 Member

The best thing about silver in personal investors hands is the general inability for widespread coordinated dumping. not that the amount of available silver bears on the price.. comex drives the price and only turns 5% of the silver market.

8. CFP

CFP New Member

I think silver as a long term investment is still a highly viable one.
    Yes it may still go down in the short term but my personal opinion is that if you are in it for the long hall, it will pay off.

9. phrenzy

Even not in the long term. I wouldn't want to be buying with either the intention to our possibility of needing to sell in the next 6 months. I think of your willing to wait 18-36 months your likely good. Saying that silver won't ever go higher than $17usd abd change is a BIG call.

10. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

those people holding bonds are really big money, with the argument of interest rate going up, where are those people going to put their money ??? :0

institutional investors can not be selling metals, since they are holding them at a loss, the things that would get sold first is usually the profitable ones. just like bonds.

when these bonds got sold, interest rates would up it goes, since the bonds prices are pressured down.

silver had been sold down from 48 to 18. (had one shorted silver, money have you :lol: )

11. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

ahh typical arrogant ignorant American.

Wow!

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Be interesting to see anything saying Central Banks are buying silver. I haven't seen any articles on silver purchases by Central Banks in the 7 years that I have been following pms.

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

It was clear that he was talking about "mislabeling" the contents to avoid or lower the import tax.

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

no he wasn't, he was showing his complete lack of knowledge tring to comment on something he has no idea about. also most business wont do that(mislabel) you will find, especially if the package is insured.

15. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Jeez you guys are so serious... I don't know anything about vat... I'm sorry I tried to make a joke... Relax!

16. SpacePete

Don't worry, some people are completely humor-impaired and couldn't see a joke if it smacked them in the face. Usually it goes along with being a climate-change denier and an extreme right-wing Liberal Party supporter. :p

17. DailySilverStacker

DailySilverStacker New Member

I feel like many people are demoralized by the past few correction years. However once silver starts rising again, the demand will come back with a VENGEANCE!

Once silver trends above $25 I can see investors swooping back in like crazy!

18. SpacePete

It will certainly bring some excitement back onto the market.

I wonder if we will see periodic plateaus as people who bought at previous price points before the current slump liquidate their silver holdings?

19. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would you sell? If silver hits $50 an ounce, the highest price point in our history, what would you do with the proceeds? I'm talking thousands of ounces not hundreds. With both the stock and property markets collapsed and going down, which hard asset becomes attractive outside of precious metals?

20. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

Water - invest in water! It is going to be THE commodity of the future.
    How? - well, that's a different issue.