Whos buying in the dip ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by renovator, Apr 26, 2011.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

ME !!!!!!!!! I knew it was coming.... patience is a virtue

2. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Perth Mints got all their spare cash ;)

4. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Already in and out several times, SLV is moving up atm, should stop around 45.30ish im thinking.
    How is everyone trading it online, ETF, CFD, options?
    Im thinking of using my profits to place a debit option spread to minimize risk.

5. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Silver held 44.60 level and is now making a nice bounce back to 45.30. will be a mid reversal if it holds 45.50 for those still stacking out there.

7. BigBen

BigBen New Member

His options would be worth alot less at this time, unless prices comes back to pre 40$

Id prefer say 1000 near or at the money puts, and do a 2:1 ratio of sold puts out of the money to make the debit spread much cheaper.

has a 3 fold benefit effect.

8. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Watch for volatility when US markets open. Margin requirements raised 9% by CME effective after business close on April 26. You may get a better buying opportunity in a day or two.

11. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Not exactly.
    He basically can sell those Silver $25 PUTS anytime he wants "up and until the expiry day in July, when they expire to be worth nothing", if the price starts to go down. See PUTS increase in value as price goes down, so you can use them to profit just like shorting.
    Put it like this (pun intended :) )
    Short Silver, Sell $100,000 worth silver ETF contracts and be exposed to $100,000 risk. Buy $3000 worth Silver PUTS and have exposure to $100,000 worth silver, the max you can lose is 3%.
    A PUT gives the buyer the right to sell someone blocks of 100 shares in stocks or commodoties at a specified price and at a specified date.

If you dont own the shares or commodity, then you can simply sell the put to someone else for a profit if the price in that stock or whatever has fallen.
    I have a freind who made a few million as he bought shitloads of S+P 500 index PUTS after the twin towers got hit. The next week the markets tanked 15%. He had exposure to millions of dollars worth, just like shorting. He then sold those PUTS, or insurance as they are called and that was that.
    Understand?
    I cna give you a bried lesson on Options if you like.

12. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

thanks.
    if you dont mind saying how do you buy/sell puts? ig markets? cmc? someone else?

cheers

13. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We have a dip but no one is dropping their prices for physical
    Spot is under $42 and I paid $960 for a roll of ASE today.
    I am willing to pay $50 for NWO rounds (that's right, rounds) and the vendor hasn't agreed to sell them to me at this stage.
    Be very interested to hear from anyone who managed to pick up cheaper silver during this dip

14. BigBen

BigBen New Member

First off ill explain Options and what they are.
    An Option is simply a financial instrument 'derirative' like a CFD that tracks the price of the stock or commodity it represents. Options in Australia are sold to represent 1000 shares of the underlying it represents. In america they are sold to represent a block of 100, so they are easier to trade in the US.
    Now:
    There are two types of options. And remember, there is a buyer and a seller of each type of option.
    CALL options
    PUT options.
    To help you remember, think of a phone call, CALL up, PUT down.

CALL option - Gives the buyer the right, but not the obligation to buy 1000 shares of the underlying at a specified price until a specified time "expiry"
    Now i can sense the confusion for the price and time part, i will explain.
    Say it is the start of MAY, and i think BHP shares might go up alot this month as they are currently $45, but dont want to invest $45,000 to buy 1000 shares in case they fall in value alot, or i just dont have that cash free. Instead, i buy a CALL option that expires at the end of May with a strike price of $45. Because this option strike price is currently spot on the share price the option will be expensive, as any move up means the option gains in value significantly as well. You could choose to buy, say a BHP $47 CALL, this would be much cheaper but would need a much larger share price move for the option to gain in value. So when buying or selling options you choose how many months you want them to last for, and at what price 'strike. Now this CALL option might cost us $1400, which we lose if the price hasnt moved above $45 by the end of May. As options lose value of time.
    If BHP was say $49 half way through the month, you could either sell your CALL option and make a nice profit, probally a few thousand dollars, pr ypu can exersize your option and make the person who sold it to you, sell theyre 1000 BHP shares to you at $45, as to the terms of the option contact.

PUTS are just reversed. They give the buyer the right, but not the obligation to Sell 1000 shares of the underlying at a specified price and until a specified time "expiry"

You can buy/sell options using Westpac, commsec ect, but not much liquidity on Aus options. IG you can as well but only on metals, energy and index's. I use Interactive Brokers, american company, very big and great liquidity.
    I have bought and sold severl SPY puts, hoping for a S+P 500 pullback to 1250 by July.

I really need to sit you down to explain them, took me ages to finally graps the idea when i was taught. I thought i knew, but had to keep looking at the defenitions, after a couple months it was second nature.

15. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

thanks BigBen!! very helpful :)

16. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member Silver Stacker

Not quite... if you went long $100k silver, then you would be exposed to a maximum loss of 100k... If youre shorting, then your downside is unlimited, and your upside is 100k (if silver drops to 0).

A better way to actually talk bout risk is the change in your porfolio as a result of a $1 move in the underlying... For those of you familiar with options, that is the delta.

17. BigBen

BigBen New Member

True, by defenition it is unlimited by in reality very unlikely, and yes i appreciate your use of option terminology regarding risk and the greeks, but it is a little advanced here, im talking laymens :)

18. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Bought at these prices a few days ago, so it doesn't feel like a dip to me.... yet.

[​IMG]

19. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Hmm, there is some commentary out there that suggests the USD will strengthen over the next few years, and that people should liquidate longs... I can't say I'm convinced just from the weekends events. We'll see how things unfold this week.. AEL is right, the price of physical remains up at this stage, so the dip is yet to follow methinks...

Or it could be the scotch talking... ;)

20. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker