White spots on slabbed pandas

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by smokymcpot, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I know of 6 ms 70 and ms 69 2010 panda,s that where ncs, and have been sent to NGC on the guarantee with milkspots,
    I stand by my statement my good friend ,any one who thinks NCS conservation will stop a coin from developing milkspots is misguided
    I would invite anyone to call NCS tell them you need technical advise ,and simply ask this question...."if I send you a coin that has no visible milk spots, does conservation of that coin prevent or lessen the likelihood that it will ever develop milkspots in the future" their answer will be " no it will not sir" and they will go on to site the reasons stated above, I have made that phone call and know of 5 other folks who have made the same call, the number is on the website:) dont get me wrong I love NCS service I have coins sitting there right now, but this whole myth of NCS preventing milkspots from forming on a coin is just that a myth propagated on coin boards............

2. jc888888888

the little silica bags you see in lots of coin boxes from china help remove humidity ,they make dehumidifying products for gun safes etc ,that cant hurt............

3. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I agree with what most of JC888888 said , I have not sent any new er pandas to ncs but the older ones I have sent with spots came back with slightly less visible spots but they are still there . I have also noticed 2 different kind of white spots on the pandas one that seems to originate from a small pinpoint looking thing spreading outward and others that are more like blotches I dont know if it is the same thing causing it but they seem different. I have also noticed rarely copper or iron spots on the silver pandas , it looks more like iron to me , I always imagined maybe there was some rust on one of the dies or a barrel they used for oil/lubercant that just got stamped into the coin but I am probably wrong . Back in the
    90s and early 2000s when silver was $3-$5 an ounce I doubt they really even considered quality and numismatic value as being a big issue it was just cheap silver bullion , but again I could be very wrong.

I have also noticed the last few years white spots seem to be more prevelent on many different silver coins from different mints and I am not sure why that would be unless there is a newer product that is being used somewhere along the line from the refining process to the actual minting process . I would like to get some scientific data on this but I would imagine it would take someone with some very sophisticated equipment and extra time on there hands.

4. honson

honson New Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

5. jc888888888

Silverstar1 is absolutely correct i have seen 2 types also, the pinpoint ,like in this photo ,and the blotchy that look almost like they where painted on ,I honestly dont know the difference between the 2, I am not trying to be a "know it all" on this subject:)I just hate to see someone coming on this board with bullion panda,s like 2011,s, being told that if you spend more than 25% of the value of the coin extra you will not have a problem................ Yennus has the right approach! save your money , and buy more coins !! the percentage of milk spotted 2011 panda,s is minuscule to the total population( who knows but probably 1 or 2%) so if you buy 10 2011 panda,s and one develop,s milkspots BUY 3 MORE ,with the money you saved not conserving the coins and put the 1 poor bear in the bullion pile . You got a $ 1500 2000 mirror and it makes you sleep better at night having it conserved THEN BY ALL MEANS, go for it. :) My personal rule , anything worth more than 300 usd that is silver even if I dont believe it needs conservation ,I most probably do it ,Gold coins , my opinion is gold is more stable ,so I raise my value guidelines as far as conservation goes on gold a little bit.thanks,just my thoughts

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks for the info , I was wondering about NCS on gold pandas , I have not bothered with it on the gold and they have come back with good grades 69s mostly. I wouldnt think it could remove the copper spots on gold either but I would like to hear if someone has had them removed by NSC. I did have and odd purpleish color spot on one but it graded 69 , I was wondering if ncs could remove it , has anyone else seen a purple spot on a gold coin?

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I sent to ncs a fractional panda gold with a green spot in omp and in the coin. The ncs remove it and became ms68

8. jc888888888

copper spots and stains they are very successful with, never had a purple one yet:)

9. low

low New Member

An excellent post!