Which semi-numis will hold value if silver keeps falling?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Dec 16, 2014.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hypothetically, if silver were to fall over the next few years, hitting $10 or lower, are there any semi-numis that will hold their value?

Or alternatively, which semi-numis would fall the slowest?

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Round 1966 50c pieces!

3. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

Some lunars did very well, the 1oz Ox was selling for around $50 when silver was at $30/oz, it's now fetching $1200 for rolls of 20

4. SpacePete

At least they have a floor. :)

5. SpacePete

Nice! Would that still be true with current lunars in a few years time?

6. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

It all depends on your buy price. I was fortunate enough to pickup a few $10 state coins for $14. Won't exactly hold value, but not a bad stop loss.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pete, are you a dealer?

8. SpacePete

Are you saying only dealers profit from semi-numis? I guess they make money on the spread.

9. Holdfast

No, I'm just asking if you are a dealer?

Dealer, stacker, collector or flipper? Or maybe all? :D

10. SpacePete

Uh, mainly a stacker (kilo coins, kilo bars, and unfortunately lots of random stuff which I want to get rid of). But I am wondering if semi-numi coins would be a good contingency should the silver price keep falling. A little bit of diversification.

11. Holdfast

This is just a general ramble pete...not necessarily aimed at you but just providing comment for your thread.

If you already hold 1oz Kooks, Koala's and Lunar's and the AUD continues to drop against the USD then your stack should do Ok in AUD terms; some say the AUD is going to 75.

What we don't like to see is the huge quantity of fake, Kooks, Koala's and Lunars in both Ag and Au clad coins hitting the market, this could upset the 1oz market..
    As I see it, the producers of fakes are only going to get better at their craft as lasers make copying very easy.

I think the less common varieties of Koala coins, such as the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, coins will do ok. I also think the 2010 Koala is a sleeper due to its very plain design. The 2008 Koala should hold up well.

The 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 Koala 1oz (Specimen coins) in the Perth Mint cards should continue to do ok, as should the twin packs of ANDA carded Koala and Kooks.

The 2013 Koala Chinese privy has taken the market un-aware and is the stand-out and the 2012 Carded Koala is also a stand-out.

The 1oz Lunar coins...Ox, Tiger, Dragon, should hang on. The 1oz Mouse is gaining price, the bunny is holding, the snake is holding, the horse should be a good coin to hold; but again, there's many fake horses on the market.

Obviously, most of us know what a fake modern coin looks like but if a seller places an image of a real coin and then sells a fake it's going to be a head-ache for some and has the potential to hurt the 1oz market.

Having said that, we have all worked around the fakes for years so.....

I see a trend towards 2oz and 5oz lunar coins; the 2oz, Mouse, Ox and Tiger are doing very well and the Rabbit and Dragon are picking up in price as is the Snake, the 2oz Snake has very good potential if you can hold onto them for the long-term. The Horse mintage looks to be very high, which could make the coin stable for awhile, having said that, some OS dealers have jacked up the price and dealers in Australia placed a decent premium on their remaining stock.

I also see a trend for some of the coloured coins, they were once hated but coins like the 5oz and 10oz red coloured bullion dragon are doing ok.

The 5oz Lunars are having mixed results, the 5oz Mouse is getting great prices, the Ox is gaining in price, the Rabbit is mixed...sometimes can be purchased for 200 but at other times closer to 350 - 400. The Tiger remains in a stable price range. The Dragon is stable to...gaining a little. The 5oz Snake is another sleeper imo and should do well longer-term. The 5oz Horse is still selling well, it should slow down before it passes the post for a decent gain in a few years.

Perth only produce 2oz and 5oz bullion coins in the Lunar series; it seems that the relatively low mintages of the 2oz and 5oz coins could see relatively good gains in the years to come.

12. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

semi can be risky for over paying them.

when a monster size like 300 come out trying to liquidate, price can go back to basic.

when there were too many Nemo around :)

13. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I know I'm thankful for 'cashing out' of all my eagles, maples, canadian wild-life (cougars, bears, etc...), and all misc blobs and other govt issued coins like Phils and Somalian elephants...and dumped ALL the proceeds into the kook remints at APMEX over a year and half ago...while the die hard folks who bought before the remint were complaining and whining. :D

I converted thousands to thousands and it was the best decision I made to date. My thousands of eagles would be sitting at about 18'ish right not (much of it was purchased anywhere from 26 - 40'ish)...yet, here I sit with my kooks, and take a look at what those are fetching on eBay (1992 - 2008). I'm happy I made the change from 'generic govt issued' to semi numi's. That's just me.:)))

Oh, and when I get extra proceeds, and prices drop, I'm dumping them into the 2015 kooks...those are a steal...AS LONG AS THE PM doesn't start screwing up with damn milk spots.

You listening Ron Currie????? Get your act straight...I'm starting to see complaints starting to boil to the surface that your premium coins are starting to go the way of RCM...don't let it happen, or you will lose a lot of faithful customers.

14. SpacePete

They're freckles (and maybe an age spot or two). Maybe I'll get a premium for my cute freckled Queen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Kiss that one goodbye! And my 1 oz kooks are all shrink wrapped in rolls of 20, and that's how they'll be sold. :)

16. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

So what exactly is a semi Numi??

17. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

http://www.goldcore.com/us/knowledge/faq/buy-numismatic-semi-numismatic-coins/

18. Golden ChipMunk

The Australian Crowns '37 & '38 are the good example

19. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

So any bullion coin even rounds! or do some like to think they are semi numi just because they think they are worth more than bullion price?
    Or is it that any bullion coin with a face value that demands a premium above both face and bullion value are semi numi?

20. Golden ChipMunk

Basically, older government issued coins, with precious metal attached to it.
    Not the generic bullion rounds. Don't get confuse.