Which bars/coins would you keep, which would you sell?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silvasurfa, Oct 23, 2012.

1. silvasurfa

silvasurfa New Member

Hello, i have been following this site for some time however just decided on becoming a member today :)

Anyways, I am having a difficult time finding an answer to my question. First of, i am a huge bull in the long term for physical silver and gold. I own plenty of both, both with a variety of rare, generic, recognized, and unrecognized.

I was wondering (as much as it kills me to ever sell my phys) that if one would need a bit of cash, what type of silver would you sell? Maples, eagles, unrecognized rounds, unrec bars, recognized rounds, or recognized bars?

I guess my question depends on the question of what silver will yield better returns in the future. What will rise more when price rising and what will fall faster when price falling (obviously not much of a difference but a small difference i assume would exist). For example i have several old pour engelhard 20ozs, in the last few weeks i have seen the exact same bars get sold on the bay from 950-1200can.....Mine are exact same in every way with even lower serial numbers... I also have many other rare old pour johnson matheys and other old recognized bars.

Main question being, is it worth taking advantage of this huge premium and sell some of these bars at what people will pay ($50+ an ounce) as the premium will likely drop as the price rises and eventually be almost par with unrec silver (in percentage terms). The price is about $33 now, so when the price is $100 will my bars holding that $17 premium (worth $50 now when spot is $33) stay constant at $117, go down?, or go up?

Sorry for long post, thanks for reading :)

silvasurfa

2. silvasurfa

silvasurfa New Member

After Re reading my post i see that to make it all more simple-

Do you feel its worth holding on to this huuge premium silver? It worries me to sell as they are being scooped on ebay with tons of demand. However id love to get $50 or $60 an ounce for my silver, can almost get twice as much of other silver for them!

Or do you alternatively think that this almost 35% premium will stay true or even rise as price rises?

Personally, I feel that eventually when silver is seriously on a rise from lack of supply and increasing demand that it all may be worth the same as long as its 999+

Obviously if this is true i should sell it while people are buying it taking advantage of this 35% premium.

If it matters, i bought almost all my silver when the price was $27.50, and paid about $29.75/oz for these specific 20oz old engelhards (i did not know that i was getting a steal at the time and nor did my seller, they were the sellers fathers)

Thanks guys!

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

In answering your question take into consideration the following -

Global population - increasing rapidly
    Third World countries - steadily getting better off
    Emerging economies - booming
    Asia & China per capita wealth - rapidly rising
    Global awareness of PM vs devaluing fiat - increasing
    Cost of PM mining / refining - increasing
    Amount of accessible PMs - decreasing

Would suggest PMs will increase in value if logic prevails BUT there are big market manipulators out there including governements

Conclusion
    Whenever you sell you will wish you held onto it longer to get a higher price !
    Whenever you don't sell you will wish you had when you see the price fall !

Hope this helps =D

4. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Wow sounds like you got one helluva deal. I'd almost be tempted to sell the high premium bars and reinvest in maples to get more ounces(since your in Canada) I'm sure you will get some good responses to your question.
    By the way, welcome to the forum.

5. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

As you're seeing, vintage bars are commanding a premium, at least from what I am seeing in the US. Poured bars especially. Nobody will know if they will command a premium like they do now in the future, so you should really do what you feel is best for your situation. If you feel no particular attachment to them, it may be wise to sell and buy low-premium bars or coins to increase your oz. like Ironwood suggested. If you have multiple vintage bars, and really love them, consider doing the above with just a few.

I personally think vintage bars look awesome because each is unique, but over the long run I would rather have more ounces. You may also want to consider diversifying into some gold and platinum as well.

6. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I only sell bits of my silver if there is a better silver to be bought...ie increasing your size by lowering the premium. If that 20oz bar will definitely get you some decent return, then yes. Then buy some silver at the lowest premium you can find (with some liquidity...there's no point of buying a 100oz bar if you more likely need to sell it in short term). :D

7. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

i agree with many of the posts here. I buy numismatics and rare bars with hopes to sell them for a high premium then reinvest that money into lower premium but highly recognizable bullion.

In your case you should sell one or two of the old Englehard Bars and Reinvest in Eagles, Maples, or the New JM 1oz bars which can be had for just over spot if you know where to look.

I buy and sell so i can aquire more silver. If you sell your high premium silver and do not reinvest then in my opinion you lost. If you sell then reinvest into lower premium silver than you cannot lose.

I have read many places that when spot rises in many cases premiums shrink on numis in relation to spot. So if spot doubles you can not be sure that the premium will rise along with it. The premium could actually fall off a bit.

whatever you do you are in good shape and you made some good moves so its really up to you

8. silvasurfa

silvasurfa New Member

Hey guys! Thanks for the responses, i guess yeah no one will know if the premiums will keep rising or fall as price goes up and its all speculation. To respond to the first reposnse, yes i agree silver wiill rise in price and i would only sell if i needed to or if i could get more silver by selling my high premium bars, i am not selling to hopefully buy back the same bars for cheaper..... If anybody has any more recomendations on these premiums please let me know! :)

9. silver sultan

silver sultan New Member

Yes defo sell and buy as near to spot the JM 1oz bars are great and sealed cheap pure silver .

10. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I would be looking to cash in the premium and buy more ounces, unless you had a genuine collector desire to hold onto the bars. You bought them on a silver basis, if you can get $50/oz for them or more, take that now (and pat yourself on the back for not having to wait another year or so for $50 silver again), and increase your ounce holdings.

Lots of happy collectors in the market when that stuff circulates.