When to Purchase Silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MattH, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MattH

MattH Member

I started buying silver as an investment back in August (I'm 18 y/o), I wanted to start sooner but wasn't making good enough money yet. Now that i'm making a lot of income, i'm buying more. All purchasing from APMEX.COM. Made my first mistake by buying my first order with paypal instead of the cheaper 4% APMEX discount with a check. So I want to hear what you think of my decisions so far? Any comments/critiques.

Spot Prices on my first 3 Silver orders from APMEX

1. $17.18 (expensive mistake paying with paypal)
    2. $16.42
    3. $16.08
    Current Spot Price = $15.79

Do you think my system is good, ordering only when spot price is less than my previous order?
    Do think i should keep purchasing as it gets lower?

Thank You.

2. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

leverage approach buy on monthly basis if you consider it is saving.

Bitcoin give you more thrill if your heart can take it.

MattH likes this.
  3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If youre 18, you should be looking into higher risk higher reward investments especially if you dont need the money in the next few years. Seriously consider btc and don’t even consider any other virtual currency until you know more about crypto.

Silver might be worth $50 or $100 in 20 years which ifor an 18 year old is a dreadful return.

I’m 45 I have 60% in shares, 20% in what ever and 20% in liquid assets like debuntures, gold but I only have paper gold.

Unless we go into dark ages and not even a limited nuclear war will get us there, physical gold or silver is meh.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Black Rabbit, Gullintanni and MattH like this.
  4. MattH

MattH Member

Silver is only a very small percentage of my money. I do invest monthly into a medium risk mutual fund with most of my monthly income. Silver for me is just a small investment purchasing in increments when I have some extra money here and there (Birthday, Christmas, Graduation money, etc.). Thank you for your comment I appreciate it! I'm glad I am getting into investing this early in my life. Silver is just the beginning for me.

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  5. whay

whay Well-Known Member

At your age, I would pick up some light-weight crypto coins like Steem, OMG, Lisk that still cost less than an ounce of silver each. No financial advice here just wishing I can be 18 again! :)

MattH likes this.
  6. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

Ipv6 has pretty much summed it up.
    You have youth on your side so can play a bit harder.
    Buy silver and gold when ever you can afford it and if you are looking at cryptos then as soon as you read this go and start studying how they work.

MattH likes this.
  7. Ipv6Ready

Let me add, there is nothing wrong with physical gold and silver as investment but we all have different needs for our savings depending on age/stage of life.

For example buying into scarce forms aka mintage and rarity could even get you a better return than btc now but it’s long term play.

I think buying a roll (Australian perspective) of Queens Beast (potentially you can catch up on past releases without paying a terrible premium) or Perth Mint Lunar series 3 (S3 is few years away, if you’re still into Precious Metals as investment buying into past S1 or S2 is not worth it for you ie some are going at over $100 Premium an ounce ) but as S3 are released in the future chances are the premium of full complete singles sets 12 years after release will easily pass crypto in 20 years. Just look at what full mint sets of Perth Mint Series 1 and almost complete series 2 are fetching. So if you have spare cash you can set a side for long long term reputable series are good but if you want or likely need to cash out to buy a home or car, find an investment that will make your money work harder.

But the increased value is not coming from weight of the metal but from the collectibility, the scarcity and time literally a decade. And unlike stamps (who collects stamps now lol) I personally think humans will always have a fondness for phiscal gold or silver in coins forms.

I commend you that at your age your looking into savings/investments but look at higher Risk/Reward.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    MattH likes this.
  8. MattH

MattH Member

Thank you so much, I appreciate all your advice!

9. MattH

MattH Member

For me being in US, would you suggest Silver American Eagles for the long term collectability silver?

10. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

from my observation for many years, since the beginning of silver bull market 1999-2005
    I would buy the most hated in USA, 1oz Onza the Mexican silver coin
    and sell them later to the rest of the world in the East

the price is really very near spot+
    you get a very good price when selling them in the East

people here can get SEA by the lot from USA
    but have not been able to do the same from Mexico, it may change - no one really knows

MattH likes this.
  11. dickmojo

dickmojo Member

I have to disagree with this assessment. The basic, basic, B A S I C principle of investing is to buy low and sell high. Clearly bitcoin is a bubble, clearly. There hasn't been a better comparison to tulip-mania in our lifetime than bitcoin. You would have to be extremely foolish to be buying bitcoin now. Shares are also waaaaay expensive.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e/news-story/ffa87d8effc53fdfc18b420602fac26a

What's the only thing that's cheap at the moment? SILVER!

And unlike bitcoin, which the only real-world use for is to facilitate online crime by anonymising secure financial transactions, silver is one of the most remarkable physical compounds existent on earth. It t exhibits the highest electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and reflectivity of any metal known, and all of those properties are super super valuable to foreseeable future technologies. Not to mention its anti-microbial properties which are going to cause huge demand with the health needs of the aging population.

I think its a no-brainer. At these prices, anyone investing in anything other than silver needs to have their head examined.

Especially stocks, and espeeeeeeecially bitcoin!

MattH likes this.
  12. jerrygold

jerrygold Active Member Silver Stacker

You are right, yet today alone if you bought and sold at the right time you would have made $3000 AUD per coin. You don't have to believe in something to understand you can make money with it.

Ipv6Ready and MattH like this.
  13. whay

whay Well-Known Member

The basic in investing is to be into a diverse portfolio. Putting all your chips into one basket(silver) is extremely foolish unless you are a bullion seller.
    Silver is cheap because unlike gold, it is no longer money but a mere commodity. In the next five years all financial transactions will be digitized whether you are a genuis or a no-brainer; hater or believer of block chain.

MattH likes this.
  14. Ipv6Ready

The principle of buy low and sell high fits perfectly to buying BTC be it short term and long term.

The end goal is to make money, and my belief is that the younger one is the more risk one can take.
    What does it matter the "investment" is in speculative class or in a bubble unless one has a time machine, and you know the the price will tank at x time.
    Be it shares, crypto, property, currency, precious metals or direct investment they all tank one day.

People keep talking about Tulip Mania and I dont get it, do you know if BTC is at the top?
    Could it potentially reach $50,000 in two years and crash to $25,000, bear in mind if one bought it yesterday and still holding it would be $10,000 profit, much higher if one kept their eye on the market and sold closer to $50,000

between 2000 and 2017 I have known two kind of investors in Sydney and currency dabblers (non professional)... (I am talking about friends who HAD the money for the deposit and easily made the repayments)

Property
    1. Bought and sold, likely multiple properties and made many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars, even if price crashed 30%
    2. Said it was a bubble and tried playing catch up on shares.

Currency -> saw AUD go from 65c to 95c, $1, and 1.10
    1. Few bought US dollars or denominated investments near $1 knowing AUD will come back down 70C
    2. Talked and Talked and watch the exchange rate today thinking I should have.

What is my take on BTC, it will never ever be currency but it will stay for the foreseeable future as a tradeable investment vehicle.

jerrygold likes this.
  15. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

I may as well put this here as well, because YOU will get the usual suspects with no knowledge and just want to snipe anyone who has something to say (for the sake of GROUP THINK).

[​IMG]

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Elvis presley Stuck on you

[​IMG]

16. JOHNLGALT

Let's get this show on the road, -

Johnny O'Keefe - Right Now (recording studio)

Was he singing about buying SILVER?

Australia’s answer to the King - ELVIS

17. JOHNLGALT

Thought I saw a Brian Henderson in there & plenty of hair lol. _JLG.

18. JOHNLGALT

If you Liked that one, then he was probably singing about Silver again here,

If it goes lower, we the STACKERS will just keep on converting our THEFT CERTIFICATES into real MONEY.

Those who continue to hold Theft Certificates i.e. Paper Money will loooooooooose all of their life savings.

We are not in a hurry, because we UNDERSTAND ‘THE MONEY GAME’ (Robert Z Aliber I think his name was that wrote that book) _JLG.

19. JOHNLGALT

Damn the Red Wine, sorry if I've already posted this elsewhere. (that's my excuse & I'm sticking with it).

MASSIVE DEFLATION HAPPENING AT THE MOMENT ACCORDING TO THE DEBT CLOCK.

DEFLATION____ACCORDING TO THE DEBT CLOCK 12.12.2017.jpg

MattH and LonelyStacker like this.
  20. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]
    I am all set for the Beasts hunting :)

MattH likes this.