What's your choice in silver safes??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shippeevt, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Like I said, they are pieces of junk!

The links you provided are to pieces of junk.

Perhaps view the video links I provided and... learn about safe construction before posting info about BS safes.

And...I am serious.

2. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

So you are claiming that your average burglar armed with a crowbar and maybe not much else, and with likely no knowledge of the safe they might find (if any) is going to break into the safe I listed?
    Really?
    I'm not claiming that safe professionals can't easily get into such safes given the right tools and knowledge of a particular safes construction, but your average, or even experienced burglar with general tools?
    Sure, the Bunnings ones would be a snap, but a heavy professional brand TDR designed for torch, drill and grinder resistance installed in a good hard to physically access location?
    You have to be realistic about what the average burglar is capable of.

3. SilverDJ

It seems that you aren't serious, because that video you posted above is breaking into a $700-$800 tall gun safe of unknown and almost certainly dubious brand (they mention Chinese import). This is NOT a proper professional brand TDR safe, not even close!
    For it to be that big a gun safe and sub $1000, of course it's going to be a flimsy piece of crap with no TDR style protection features. But even then, you had to know where to drill.

4. Hp1173

Hp1173 Active Member Silver Stacker

Do remember though that if a burglar is not able to enter the safe with the simple tools he has, he will almost certainly come back heavily armed with heavy duty equipment!

5. SilverDJ

Sure. Likely there will be some evidence of a break-in though, so if that's the case you'd have to assume they have seen the safe and might be back. And then, well I guess the game is up and you'd probably had wished you'd gone with allocated or other private or SDB storage.
    Perhaps those who have safes should implement some form of detection system to know if someone has seen your safe (assuming you've hidden it which you should).
    And that's one of the problems with home safes, you basically get one shot at it and then you are likely front page news on the local burgulars'r'us newsletter.
    Reminds me of the stories about people getting robbed, and then get cleaned out again 6 months later because they have just filled up their house again with brand new stuff from the insurance!

But this is why I think Holdfast is completely off the mark with his comments. A decent properly installed name brand TDR safe will surely deter almost any first time burglar who stumbles upon it, winning you the day and giving you the opportunity to remove your valuables elsewhere.

6. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I worked in a locksmiths, I can tell you that safes aren't that safe. I heard stories of safes being broken in to, safes being stolen to be opened later and plenty of stories about people who thought they were targeted for break in because they had a safe.

If your going to get one make sure it's somewhere that people won't see it if they're wandering around your house (during a party, spraying for pests, cleaning the house etc). Also make sure it's very well secured. Finally, don't tell anyone you have a safe. Even with those prerequisites you have to assume that a safe will slow down an intruder and not prevent a theft.

The problem is that the better the safe the more tempting a target it is, if you have a big safe it looks like a big score to a thief, unfortunately a small safe doesn't look like a small and uninteresting score to a thief it looks like an easy lunch. There are a few obvious examples on this forum where a large and expensive secure safe has been opened in the home and the suspicion is that the thieves saw (our heard about) the safe and jumped to the reasonable conclusion that there was something worth stealing.

A safe will keep a cleaner with sticky fingers from lifting a ring. If your worried about that sort of theft get a dresser with lockable drawers. If people know you have a safe you might end up having $5000 in damage done from a home invasion because of a safe that's protecting $3000 in silver.

My advice is go with an SDB or hide your stack. Maybe that means burying (ok maybe not burying it) it or storing it across multiple locations, I've heard of people painting and using bullion bars as door stops, who's going to steal a doorstop. Or, ideally think of something nobody else ever would. A safe isn't a terrible idea but think of it as a fire proof box and not as a security device and hide the safe accordingly. Buy it yourself and pay cash.

You get a lot of SDB rental for the cost of a decent safe. Shop around though, I found some banks much more expensive than others. Not keeping it at home is going to be the the first most obvious step.

The best security is obscurity.

7. ClonesArePeopleTwo

ClonesArePeopleTwo New Member

If you have a small stack or gold, hide it somewhere stupid, like in a pill bottle in the medicine cabinet, in a shirt pocket in your wardrobe, inside a hollowed out broken appliance, in a plastic bag inside a jar of something, in a dvd case, etc. If you've got kilogram bars, bury it.

Good home safes are very expensive, obvious and clunky, plus experienced theives will be able to get into most of them.

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I've seen big old safes in second hand stores. Some look really great but my wooden floors wouldn't handle the weight of some of those. I briefly considered getting one though and just using it to store crockery in the dining room.
    Sanity prevailed. Besides being big and clunky.

9. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

No offense, but that actually is pretty stupid. :p

Who knows what "level" of thieves might find their way into your home one day.

But some most definitely go after certain prescription drugs (you know, found in a medicine cabinet), or even lower-priced goods like DVDs -- both items which are not out the realm of stolen property.

Better off with secure off-site storage, IMO..

10. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Hey guys I appreciate all the responses about a good safe!!! I think I'm may just hide my silver under the old bag of beer cans in my old shed! The old hide it under the aluminum trick!!

12. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Throw in some monitored alarms,monitored cameras, metal detectors, automatic gates, loose attack dogs sleeping on a single passageway entrance, sub water level A500 steel plated rooms, lots of rebarred concrete, motion detectors and xeon gas dispersers and a smattering of guns and these guys would have had it right.Sentry guns and FLIR and Gen3 optional.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr-8AP0To4k[/youtube]

It's amazing what you can have if you want it.

http://realsentrygun.com/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTs7VRFV36c[/youtube]

13. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that reminds me of aliens

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v==HQDy-5IQvuU[/youtube]

14. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU[/youtube]

I love that sequence.....

I'm happy to take the risk that I have to be raided by a highly intelligent and aggressive, acid for blood alien killing machine to get robbed.

Now I need holographic projectors of tigers for the win

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqUYBopWLs[/youtube]

15. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that isn't actually what the people see, they are looking at a screen that has the animals superimposed on the video.
    we had this in Perth with dinosaurs and it was a bit yawn after a few minutes

16. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sentry guns! Safes a way too passive for modern defense. Samsung manufactures a robotic sentry gun that is deployed along the Korean DMZ.

But if you really want something to scare the crap out of intruders, look for videos of the C-RAM in action, a land based variant of the Phalanx close in weapons system.

17. SilverDJ

The only way to really keep your metal safe is to look like this, and wear it around your neck
    [​IMG]

18. MikeW

MikeW Active Member Silver Stacker

19. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Indeed Pete and I understand Belarus makes one too. However You can pick one up for example here http://realsentrygun.com/Paintball Airsoft Turret Kit2.htm for 649 dollars and pay via paypal. If a lunatic were to throw a cheap semi auto 12 gauge loaded with buck and ball and a tube extension, while not fit to take on the North Korean army (which like acid for blood aliens I have to accept as a risk beyond my limited capacity to counter) a couple of such would certainly be formidable. It may be safer just to nuke such a stack from orbit at that point.

Throw on a high wattage laser dazzler and IR blinder too why not. I think I'm turning into Stewie Griffin here. Time to stop.

20. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just don't do it.

Link

And to further dissuade you;

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-49038-stolen-bullion.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-46116-robbery.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-41423-i-got-cleaned-out.html