Whats the weight of an original plastic pouch?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Calypto, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Calypto

Calypto New Member

Hey,

in order to test the authenticity of my panda coin, I was wondering what the weight of a 1oz 2009 Gold Panda in its original pouch is.

My weighing machine says 32,54 grams. So the pouch would be just 1,44 grams?

What are your results?

2. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Hello Calypto,

Excuse the crappy iphone pics but they are sufficient to comment on/answer your question

I have weighed several coins on many occasions as only one of the measures I utilize to detect counterfeits. The 1 oz silver Chinese panda coin should weigh 31.1 grams within a few 100ths of a gram.

Here below is a picture of a raw 2009 Chinese panda (your coin in question) being weighed on a digital scale note it weighs 31.1 grams
    [​IMG]

The plastic "air-tite" capsules have varied over the years but have been identical in recent years. These capsules used for the 2009 pandas typically weigh approximately 6.3 grams within a few 100ths of a gram. Combined weight with coin in capsule is approximately 37.4 grams as illustrated in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

"Double sealed" Chinese pandas of 2005 and prior years typically weigh anywhere from 38.7 grams to 39.3 grams when weighed in their hard plastic "air-tite" capsule and encased in their soft plastic outer seal as well. Their weight is variable due to the amount of plastic left on the soft plastic outer seal when it is cut from its original sealed sheet and variations in the thickness of soft plastic used by the various mints.

So from all of this you can derive:

31.1 Grams _ coin weight
    6.3 Grams _ hard plastic capsule weight
    1.3 to 1.9 grams _ soft plastic outer seal (average but could be highly variable)

3. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yennus stick it, i think is good data

4. Calypto

Calypto New Member

Hey comeaux,

thanks for your answer. So with a pouch weight of 1.3 to 1.9 it seems my Panda is real. :)

[​IMG]
    Source:

The coin in question:
    [​IMG]
    Source:

5. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Assuming the coin is authentic and weighs approximately 31.1 grams It may be just a difference in capsule weight but it seems just slightly anomalous as the capsules (if identical capsules) should weight the same or close and not be almost .4 grams difference, then again the coin you have may not be in the original mint capsule either.

There are many various "air-tite" capsules that are sold and distributed that are not the same as the ones issued by the Chinese Mint and I'm sure they may weigh a little more or less.

If your coin is in the original plastic mint capsule then you will see 3 distinct little "dots" on the inside of each capsule as I have illustrated in this picture.
    [​IMG]

So if your coin looks authentic, has the correct denomination 10 Yuan, weighs approximately 31.1 grams and is the correct dimensions of 40 mm diameter & 3.42 mm thick, it should certainly be authentic.
    It also should have diagonal "reeding" as in this bad iphone picture below. If the reeding is straight on a 2009 Panda then it is definitely a fake.
    [​IMG]

As far as the gold 1 oz Panda ... the weight appears normal weight for the plastic packaging it is in and I also see the "reeding" is diagonal as well and it has the appropriate OMP that says "Shenzhen Guobao Mint".
    Diameter should be 32.05 mm & 2.7 mm thick.

From the pictures/weights I would say both of these appear authentic to me
    I'm not a professional though so this is just friendly advice and trying to help :)