What would your advice be to the U.S. Mint?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by mmissinglink, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

The US mint is dead boring, too many US focused releases that no one gives a damn about.
    No one cares about the statue of liberty, no one cares about eagles, no one cares about presidents ect ect.

You want international demand (AKA money), you need limited mintage coin series that changes every year and has broad appeal (pandas, kooks, lunars, RCM wildlife series)
    problem solved, no need to thank me.

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

:rolleyes:

Complaining about what they don't need without naming any specifics of what subject would work is like saying nothing useful at all.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Stuppler/2014-08-12-Kennedy-Gold-Coin-Becomes-a-Numismatic-Disaster.html

This was pretty poor in many aspects!

I don't collect US coins but this one is pretty iconic and I would have added one to my collection but not at those prices and at all that effort to source one.

The mint was as much to blame as the dealers but it is collectors that end up suffering, especially as they have lost much of the initial inflated value.

As to what the Mint can do, call it a day! Cash is dead or at the very least dying. Collecting coins is expensive and not nearly as interesting as Pokemon Go! (which I have no interest in)

Stop trying to flog a dead horse, look at making other things that people want to collect. Just putting "$1" on a piece of metal and then telling people it is a coin is just sad really, they aren't fooling anyone.

Some of the Commemorative medals are nice, the presidential dollars would most likely have been really popular if they had been the Presidential Quarters, I enjoyed collecting the State Quarters even in Australia.

People need to have a reason to collect coins in the first place and a reason to continue to collect coins. The reason I collect coins is because it was fun when I was a kid. The reason I kept going was because I wanted to park some money outside of the bank. The reason I stopped was because I had enough Precious Metals and collecting coins has become tedious.

If it isn't fun then it will not be able to complete against new developments which are cheaper and more interesting.

4. Aureus

You just make yourself look childish saying crap like that, stop throwing the toys out of the pram at every opportunity.
    Let me give you a little lesson, subject matter isn't as important as marketing.
    You think kooks are admired globally because everyone likes kookaburras? it's the coins design and marketing that propels the series, not the subject matter.

You can't market American themed designs to the world, because outside the western bubble there's next to no love.
    You can't market unlimited mintage coins to collectors
    You can't market a yearly released coin series with an unchanged design to collectors.

The US mint needs to evolve and cater to an international audience or concede that eagles will always be their bread and butter.

5. mmissinglink

You take the gold medal for most idiotic comments. Do you relish in this glory because you work hard at it or does it come naturally to you?

6. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Guys, Easy, Back Off!

Just let the ideas flow.

We wouldn't be discussing this topic if the US Mint was perfect.

:)

7. Aureus

you going to enlighten me as to why? or just insult me and hope I bite in kind?
    To be completely frank with you, with that kind of attitude you just come across as uneducated. On nearly all topics you're unwilling to learn or accept anything that doesn't conform to your ideas.
    you have the forum, I'd be very interested as to why you think I'm wrong, petty insults do not give me anything to work on.

8. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I think the American Liberty piece is nice. Hey man, I collect all kinds, primarily kooks, lunars, and China pandas (and other medals). Maybe this is just a U.S., centric piece. I don't think so, but who knows, not me. There are a ton of U.S., collectors, but I will concede, I think these may come down to about 60-80 per coin (just a SWAG). And if the mint 'privy' the things, thus increasing the mintage, who knows what the price will be, but it won't be about 150.00 per piece as it currently stands, IMHO. I'm just bummed that I didn't get any at noon time. I was stuck in a meeting. Phewie. The only American pieces I have are a few of the baseball coins. That's it. Not the biggest fan of the U.S., stuff, because the mintages are so dang high. But this one, if it stays at 12,500, will be piece to own for the ages. IMHO.

9. mmissinglink

I really hope that the US Mint doesn't start with the privy gimmick. That's the slimiest marketing gimmick that some mints have ever concocted.

10. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

I just scored an SP70 Early Release with the 1/4oz Standing Liberty gold coin I sent to NGC recently. Yippee!

11. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

I can't help but ask if they had considered fixing the milk spot problem with recently minted coins. Milk Spots don't matter if one is buying ASE's (or anything else) for bullion but the minute they say they want to encourage more collectors they should be prepared to sell coins they are certain will remain in as good of condition 2, 3 or more years after purchase than at purchase.

12. mmissinglink

13. Vezpit

Vezpit Active Member

Would be an interesting exercise for the Mint to see how many of say US half-dollar Kennedys are around, non are in circulation. Producing coins with some silver value would naturally cause them to be held as a long term investment. The percentage of silver would need to be small on a say $10 or $20 coin put into circulation because of the devaluation of fiat.