What would you do....

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Prospector Stone, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Prospector Stone

Prospector Stone Member

Hi,

Not sure what I am trying to ask here without being completely naive and reaching out for a crystal ball.

I have been sitting on some savings for some time and due to lack of experience and/or understanding of economics I put this money into a term deposit some months ago instead of buying metals. Now that I am about to rake in my whopping great return of a few hundred dollars ( (WOOHOOO!!!) (FML.. if only I had gone with my instincts in January) ) I am feeling compelled to do as Jimbo does (see illustration provided).

So a few tips would help, like what will it mean when the interest rate moves, will Silver continue to "outperform gold" how might one go about making big life decisions, what should I use to bury my stack..shovel? Spade? Just hands? ....

Open playing field for those who want to take the piss right here..

Mainly though, is it a bad time to make a relatively large purchase ?!

what would you do if you had $X,000

Have a go..

2. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

If I had 10k burning a hole in my pocket I would -

# 5K in cash being $20/$10/$5 "buried in the backyard" not all in the same place - just saying.
    # 4K in small Gold e.g Valcambi 50g divisible gold bar or 1/10oz gold lunar coins.
    # 1K in generic 1oz Silver and/or pre/post decimal silver or round 50c pieces.

Total = 10K :p

Whatever you do you will need to make sure that you secure (buy) your peace of mind,because without peace of mind it does not matter what you do.

Foot Note - I forgot to mention that I have no debt.

3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

First I believe you have to give 30 days notice to withdraw your money. Next pay off all debt. Next keep a minimum of 2 to 3 months living money in your back pocket, not the bank. Next buy low premium silver rounds and bars. Lastly come to the next meet and discuss further options.

4. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Pay off debt and keep at least 6 months living expenses as an emergency fund.

With the remaining I would:
    - 30% gold stocks
    - 40% bullion (gold/silver)
    - 20% cash
    - 5% bitcoin
    - 5% for shorting the market

5. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

This feels very SHTF rather than investment. Good to have that perspective but maybe a less extreme option would also be that we appear to be in a pullback situation right now and tbuying bullion now is a great idea. A mixture of larger bars (kg or 10oz) and coins/rounds at lowest premium possible.

My gold:silver is roughly 70-80:1. (Though it does include some Valcambi as well).

If you're not into stocks then that would be my method. Otherwise, if you're into playing the market, Maybe go 70-80% physical then play the markets with the rest.

*I do have the cash reserves too, but this doesn't appear to be his method necessarily.

6. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

and buy some round fitties from me :D

Good advice I would say :) wouldn't you agree sammy.

7. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

junior stocks are fun, most else is boring, if you bought silver with it when it was US$15oz instead you'd have 25% more to play with now.
    if your life didn't rely on the cash then a couple years of playing stocks would be a good education for when you want to play with more in future.

so i'd keep half in the top po ket of your jacket hanging on the door, rest in a few stocks.
    i'm sure some people here could give you a couple stocks to start with.

9. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My advice: forget about any opportunity you missed by not buying gold or silver in month X. Don't chase imaginary gains or use them as a benchmark.

Here are a few charts from my watchlist (note I don't own any of these stocks):

[​IMG]

FMG, Newcrest and Cochlear.. nothing too sexy but very solid gains. Two have paid dividends in the last 12 months too.

There's gains to be had outside of bullion.

But if you wanna play spot bullion, trade unallocated.

Oh and the s isn't gonna htf in the next several years at least.