What would you do with $50K+ to drop on physical RIGHT NOW...?

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by TingTing, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TingTing

TingTing Member

I have been lurking this forum for some time, reckon I need to add PM's to my game plan & am asking for input from y'all who are on the pointy end of the stick. The regular contributors here make a whole lot more sense to me than some dumb-shit financial planner who says "Duh?" if you mention Precious Metals.

Envision this...I am already paid down, NO debt. Freehold assets, $150K cash in bank, $1M conservatively in several real estate properties including my home, $20K low risk "managed fund" (Phhff, only thing managed is that it is not actually losing money) NO "job", living off passive income $40K income & eating into capital another 30K p.a. for the last 3 years whilst caring for a young disabled family member. No end in sight there, however I wistfully hope to go back to my career in 3 years if circumstances allow.

I am only mid-40's! Living the dream? Hmm, maybe. Just a normal person who has been fortunate, trying to take steps to protect my family when I am long gone.

Assets are in a discretionary trust fund which is how I will also buy silver/gold. I am reasonably conversant with current affairs, I think PM's are cheap now, bottom is out & I need some of that gear in my bag.

Thinking allocating minimum $50K+ ? to physical PM's, 60silver/40 gold. Looking for strategy suggestions, will drill down to the specifics of WHAT to buy when I have the game plan sorted.

Ideas?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you're going to spend $50k on PM's it's probably best not to do it all in one go. Personally I'd buy 3-5 10oz bars and some round 50's every week until I had spent that (spare) cash. What I did for a while was buy PM's with the interest received from my bank account (back in the good auld days of 6.5%) which was 'money' I didn't really need.

Not sure how time rich you are but might be worthwhile looking into starting an online business to generate some extra income while you wait to rejoin the workforce. I'd also learn how to trade paper PM's to hedge my stack (something I'm currently doing).

What does your Super look like?

Here's another link that may help http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-33851-what-to-buy-budget-75k.html

And welcome to the forum :)

4. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello,
    All that glitters is not just Gold, Silver etc.

Diversely look at other things.

Email sent......

5. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

I'm in a similar boat as you. All I can suggest is don't buy the lot fast, spread it out and ride the averages. Better for security too. We are not in a bull market yet and it may delay for a long time to come.

I will not buy physical gold as I refuse to pay for the bloated out institutionalised price tag that's directly linked to the very banking system in which my stacking opposes. Bit of a catch 22, but that's just me. Research the GSR.

and on a side note, use your real estate equity and buy investment properties and expose yourself to the next property cycle, hedging against physical PMs.

6. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

we haven't seen the bottom for all those properties, but people are talking about next property cycle :lol:

7. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1 This ^

As for dollar-cost averaging, don't fall into this trap. It is a load of bunk.
    It is merely a fancy marketing pitch for a savings plan, and is inefficient as an investment strategy.... the mathematics doesn't lie.
    DCA is a statistical "dog", and will lose about two times out of three.
    While it may seem to work for those whose investable funds become periodically available (say in line with salary payments), these savers have no real choice.
    However, if you have a lump sum to invest, the returns will statistically be better if you commit it all earlier. This seems to be your situation.
    Besides, if you are hesitant to commit all of your 50K at once, you need to question whether you really should be investing at all.

Now, given the rubbish returns on bullion over the last few years, and the fairly good returns on numi stuff, this is how I'd spend it:

AUSTRIA. Salzburg. 8 Ducats, 1594.
    Wolf Dietrich Von Raitenau (1587-1612). Fr-674; KM-MB577; Probszt-715; Zottl-818. EXTREMELY RARE.

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=588959

8. worldbubble

numismatics is a field for a very knowledgeable investor
    don't do it if you are not educated enough for that matter

9. wrcmad

+1 this ^ too.
    Absolutely correct, and bullion investment is a field for a very unknowledgeable investor.... which one gives you more confidence? :|

10. worldbubble

bullion investment is for one who has balls :cool:

11. wrcmad

Oh,.... OK....? :p
    And all this time people have been telling me what a safe, sure-thing it was. ? :lol:

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Care to expand?

13. TingTing

TingTing Member

Super looks like this . A small dot, only because I am wary of tying up cash for a very distant date in a fund that is open to theft by legislation, especially SMSF which seems to need a lot of money to be viable? If you can consider living off passive investment income then I am essentially "retired" already, but I do need to preserve my capital AND ensure my returns keep pace with inflation. My assets are all in a discretionary trust which I control & there is one benefactor.

14. worldbubble

from historical perspective PMs are the safest of all assets ;)
    people are nervous as they expect to double their investment in one year, sure thing it will not act that way

as per me - I can compare investment in PMs to stock market, to business ...
    Even though PMs went down, I sleep way better than when my investments in stock market went down, or when business was almost broke.
    I just found a fun way to increase my holdings and enjoy the process of accumulating

15. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

- 1000 to that.

Pure rubbish.

proving once again that a forum is a very bad place to get investment advice.

Do you own research, and never ask poor people what you should do with your cash :lol:

16. wrcmad

Statements like yours (with absolutely no credible basis) do actually prove your point about the quality of investment advice received on this forum. :rolleyes:

17. wrcmad

On what perspective do you base "historical" and "safe" on?

18. TingTing

TingTing Member

Thanks, hence I am looking to add a Silver/Gold position to the top-heavy real estate cart. The next trick will be further education on investing in stocks/shares/companies, Ugghh so boring but it has to be done I suppose.

19. TingTing

TingTing Member

Thanks, real estate has been good to me & I continue to keep an eye out for another property but it will have to tick a heap of boxes first.

20. worldbubble

two generations, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc ...
    count how many times PMs survived
    good thing about PMs is everybody have an access to this assets no matter what location is