What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by SilverSale, May 4, 2013.

1. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The quickest way to cash out is dealer buy back.
    If we ever see massive price movements, being able to sell within the day might be the best outcome $ wise. You can bring your kg bar back to the dealer quicker than you can sell 32 x 1oz. All depends on how much you stack I guess?

2. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

With $100,000 I would buy
    40 * Valcambi 50 x 1g CombiBar

I think it would easily be liquid into whatever denominations you want

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I couldn't get past the 'hypothetically having $100,000 to spend' bit, currently thinking about a gold chain mail suit or some sort of crown.

I am guessing that if you are sorted for silver and are spending that much in one sitting on physical then you are probably not looking for a quick flip, in which case if it is going to be sitting around for a while and you are paying for security and storage or insurance then it better be serving more than one purpose.

4. clubman

clubman Member

panda coins, current year, smaller than 1oz, coz it's premium grow from year to year.

5. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

How much is an xrf machine? Perhaps get one and then it doesnt matter what you get you can prove what it is.

If things go up up and away to the point where the problem with fakes gets out of control it could be a very handy investment.

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

$25k for an XRF machine , you'd want to be doing a lot of transactions to justify that kind of $
    Even pawnbrokers in Melbourne don't have them

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

~$20-25k depending on the model. They are an x-ray device.

8. CIRRUS

CIRRUS New Member

I would buy a few 5oz gold bars to look at and pass on to the kids and stick the rest in half and full Sovereigns and a mix of Britannias. Liquidity is the main issue for me.

If the SHTF it will be easier to make use of coins than bars. If it doesn't hit the fan I will want to be able to unload the metal without paying capital gains tax. I'm slowly accumulating Sovs and Brits rather than other coins or bars, because they form a tax free part of my retirement plan.

9. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

A mix of bars and coins. Would go for the sealed-certified bars, then would as s a few coins.

With coins it would be a bit more complex: Buffaloes, a wide variety of Pandas (including previous year editions), the Australian "arsenal" (Kokaburras, Kangaroos, Lunar Snakes, Lunar Dragons, Whale Sharks etc.)...

I would focus on anything pure gold (24 k .999 at least, preferably .9999), but wouldn't exclude a few numismatic old coins (historical ones, not the investment coins).

Among currently trendy investment coins, I would focus on the Pandas, but new edition Buffalo proof coins will be launched later this year, so we'd all better open our eyes:
    http://m.coinworld.com/Articles/mint-plans-reverse-proof-2013-gold-buffalo

100,000 $ is quite a huge "chunk". If you would have asked. 10,000 $, we would have put more energy into choosing.