what would we do without it

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by systematic, Feb 12, 2012.

1. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

I have sometimes pondered the internet access issue as the integral part of being able to bring together people interested in, as in our case, to buy, sell, trade, discuss precious metals. Apart from the logistics of buy-sell threads and the terms and conditions of what is being offered and the issues of how to settle on a transaction - does a buzz on a thread beat a pm - does a pm beat a buzz etc?

Apart from that, can you imagine how different it would be if we wanted to buy/sell and didn't have the internet? How would we do it? We need a back up system. It's something we need to spare some thought on and should not take for granted.

2. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

It would be sweet if the internet didn't exist than I would be totally disconnected from the world! :)

3. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

You can switch off your pc at any time.

Think about no internet and wanting to buy or sell some of your metals..... would that be a problem...

4. Sargeant Argent

I'd personally be more worried about not getting accurate surf reports rather than up to date spot prices. Silver and gold are all part of a long term retirement plan day to day spot really doesn't matter too much to me I went on vacation and barely used the internet for 5 weeks it was great.

5. Sargeant Argent

In fact the internet pereobably holds back the value of your metal it makes rare coins easier to obtain and in the case of silver I'd say most people would say silver is more valuable than its current spot price.
    I think selling metal would probaby more of a barter scenario without internet which wopuld actually give you more outlets to sell your metal. Buying metal would be more difficult but I already have a 3 hour drive to my nearest coin shop I just buy metal when I need to load up on supplies. Its funny how technology is designed to make your life simpler yet its more complicated than ever! ;)

6. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1!!! Must be bloody cold in the water in Canada?!

7. Sargeant Argent

Yeah mate 6-5-4 suit with hood booties and gloves though its gotten a little warmer the last few weeks its around 8-9 degrees right now it was 6-7 and colder at the rivermouths. Its definately nots as comfy as your neck of the woods but less sharks!

8. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

I can't think of a back up Plan Systematic. If the internet was to go down, so would our telephones.

We would either have to revert back to snail mail to contact various dealers/mints across the country to negotiate prices etc to re sell to them !? Or we may be bartering.

It is definately food for thought :/