What to do about actively fraudulent ebay user

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by phrenzy, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

both bidders has only 1 feedback each. newbies buying a $1500 item.

2. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

The first two pictures are real, but yeah the others are a little obvious. Anyhow I'm sure justice will catch up with them.

3. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

I just reported it to ebay, may be the more reports there are the more chances ebay removes the listing.

4. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

As others have said, not much you can do about dishonest people except avoid them.

They are not exclusive to eBay sellers either.
    Reminds me of some poor sod a few years ago who listed a bi-metal coin on eBay I was planning to bid on but then sold the coin early for $80 to somebody that made them an offer (worth up to $400 at the time).

Next day the same coin appeared for sale here on silver stackers, using the same pictures - by a member who is still active today.
    They wouldn't have even received the coin yet but were already trying to sell it - for $400.

I contacted the guy through eBay to tell him he'd been ripped off - even sent him links to the SS thread.
    He said he realised he'd gotten confused by there being several similar themed coins - a silver one and a bimetal one - but he would honour the deal he had made.

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how is that the same as selling a coin that is fake?
    what you describe is a profitable le transaction based on ones knowledge, no different to someone selling the round 50's here that they just got from a bank at face value
    I have sold items that others have relisted then sold at a profit (happens a lot on ebay) and I just thought good on them for knowing how to sell it better"". instead of getting bitter about it I just moved on and learnt from the experience. I certainly wouldn't have called them dishonest from profiting from an honest trade

but on topic have you thought about meeting him at a police station and when he try's to pass it of to you, report him for trying sell counterfeit currency. The coin is still legal tender and as such it is illegal to own a counterfeit sovereign.
    Its o different to making $50 note on the printer

6. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

This is not even close to being in the same league as selling a fake coin.
    This just sounds like sour grapes on your part and trying to stick your nose into a deal and ruin it because you didn't get anything out of it.
    If the SS member is still active they have every right to be super grumpy with your sticky little beak attitude.
    What a total turtle thing to try and do on your part.
    You sound like the kind of guy that i see at car boot sales from time to time , THat comes in just after iv shaken hands for a transaction and tries to outbid me on someting i have already bought.
    Just not on trew!!!! Trying to spoil someone deal because you get nothing out of it makes you sound like a REAL TOSSER.

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

DON'T report fakes to eBay if someone is selling fake currency, even pre-decimals like sovereigns - it is destroying evidence. Report them to the currency team at the AFP if you want to make a difference. Counterfeiting is one of those crimes that does get the authorities attention quick smart.

8. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. phrenzy

I guess they are one of those people who googles themselves constantly, stuff on you'd forum comes up FAST on Google. Either that or someone here messaged them...or much more worryingly they are a lurker/member.

The way they made the flip look old and worn is a nice touch that makes me think they have a little numi knowledge, I'd hate to think they were part of the community.

Lucky they did all this through eBay messaging where everything is independently logged, would have been harder if it was the Hotmail account they signed up to paypal with.

As goldpelican suggested I'll be going to the AFP, the currency team seems to be the way forward, the wire fraud is just the cherry on top.

[​IMG]

10. phrenzy

I'm quaking in my boots by the way.

I'd love it so much if they actually came here though, a chance to take out the whole forums frustration with these Chinese fake selling fraudulent greedy unscrupulous thieving reprobates. I'd be the hero of all online. Please please please let it be so.

The Internet is so convenient, in the old days of mail fraud you'd have to go track someone down and go to them, now for convenience they come to you.

11. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

The beauty of commerce, it brings people together. :p

12. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow people. Get po boxes!
    Anyway good luck with the police. I hope he gets turtled good. Let us know how it goes

13. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep, that's me - Trew Tosser :lol:

I guess you think those gold buying kiosks paying people less than half of spot for their jewellery are good honest business people too.

14. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think they sell lots of clad stuff on gumtree too...ebay wont care about them they after profit and not even mention their feedback system :lol: