What to Buy

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by PeeZapp, Mar 9, 2012.

1. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

Hey all have a bit of fiat I was looking to turn into 2 maybe 3 premium panda's

I was wondering what you knowledgable folk think are good to have or are undervalued at the minute and what price you would pay for them

I was looking at getting slabbed panda's (as I have had troubles with OMP in the past) NGC 69 is the target.

Thanks in advance for the advice

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

How premium?

3. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the 2007, can get ms69 for about $100 or the ms70 for $325. Not too premium but affordable at the moment.
    Would like to hear FB's opion.

4. fishball

It's an alright buy, definitely better than 2010 & 2011 MS69.

5. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

+1
    Or 1996/1997 for 130/140
    2003 150
    2002 160
    2001 170

My fair prices in uss.

But if you have more premium to pay i try to buy a 2000 frosted for 400 or less

6. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

We could probably point you in a better direction if we had a budget to work within. Panda prices are all over the place. Do you want gold or silver? Both?

In general I wouldn't be a buyer of any post 2009.

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I would look for older fractional Gold if you are just stepping in. There are still a few reasonable priced around, plus you get a bit of a hedge. Just be prepared a 1/20 or 1/25 is pretty small coin. If you can afford look 1/2 - 1oz or even bi-metals ?

Otherwise get one or all of the big 3, balance in some 2012's if and when they come out.

8. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Hello PeeZapp,

As derrick conveyed having a budget would be more beneficial for members to be able to give more precise guidance but yea if it were me starting over again I think I would focus on gold fractionals.

The SS members have good ideas in their posted opinions of what to buy

I like austackers recommendation an idea could be to get a few gold fractionals of various years that you like and begin laying the foundation of sets that you would like to build and complete someday. Focusing on a few sets gives you flexibility to add coins that are available at good prices from various years instead of having to focus on one year.

For example I have about six various panda gold sets I am working to complete right now, what this allows me to do is add coins that I need when they appear at fair prices. If a coin comes up that I feel is above market value then I try to negotiate for it or move to another coin that is needed in one of the other sets.

Just remember that there are literally thousands of coins so be patient. I don't think there are many coins in my collection that if I would have been more patient and searched a little more, I could have gotten them cheaper.

I seem to always buy coins with a sense of urgency like I will never see the coin again but in actuality there are few coins that you will see only once, maybe some but not many.

Anyway back to your question of what to buy?
    I would recommend the 2006 panda gold fractionals as this is said to be a "sleeper" and has fairly low mintages for a coin minted within the last 5 years so you could get nice coins at fair prices.

I'm sure other members will have varying opinions but this is just mine.

Good Luck with your collection ! :)

9. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I'm going to jump on the gold fractionals as well if they fit in your budget. I'm a fan of the little 1/20s and 1/10s, and they look good in slabs. As metals prices rise, I suspect these will command even higher premiums because they'll still be more "affordable" and the mintage on the majority is pretty low. Plus, if you want to go down Comeaux's route of making sets, they give you a lower starting price point.

10. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

Was looking at spending around $1000 and hoping to get 2-3 coins unless it would be better to just get the 1 ber premium coin. I may be willing to spend a bit more if i find some bargains seen a few 2000 frosted ngc ms 69 at about 440 delivered I already have an 09, 10, 11 slabbed ms 69 pandas and some 1/20 I think they are 07 & 08

11. серебро

серебро New Member

what about getting some old proof pandas? There are always some good bargins if you look

12. fishball

Get the 5oz 2012 SG coin fair proof panda and then maybe get 2-3 gold fractional pandas if your budget is $1000.

I think the 5oz panda 2012 will be quite hot and you'd be able to flip that for short term profit and reinvest it into other pandas if you don't want to keep it.

Or alternatively you could try and complete the slab MS69 NGC panda set.

13. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I buy the 2000 frosted for 425 shipped ngc69 from a reputable dealer in usa.
    If you need the email pm me and i will send to you. He have more than 10 left.