What to buy

Discussion in 'Silver' started by PradoEagle, Jun 11, 2011.

1. PradoEagle

PradoEagle Member Silver Stacker

First post.
    I have been reading for a while. My questions is what to buy? I have noticed that the American Buffalo appears to be the cheapest. Not sure why?
    I guess I like the idea of 1oz coins. The Kookaburras seem to be at the top of the price tree. Is there any reason for this? Also, what about storage? It is not going to take much to have large pile of coins. Is it better to go for a large coin?
    What about 1966 50 cent pieces? Finally, I promise, what about (un)allocated storage?
    Thanks
    PE

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

1kg coins = best of both worlds imho

4. PradoEagle

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Large bars such as PAMP 1kg or PM 1kg bars are usually easy to move but recently on the forums they have been moving slowly, dragon frenzy, spot uncertainty etc

Lower sized bars such as 1oz Morgans are easier to move but obviously slightly more expensive per oz.

10oz bars are between both of these, the premiums are decent and their size/weight is good.

Buffalos have a low premium but I find they have a low liquidity on here since people don't like them for some reason.

If you want liquid silver without crazy premiums I suggest going for 1oz Morgan bars, 1oz Koalas, 10oz PM/SC/SS bars and stay away from the PAMPs since they're expensive!

Kilo coins are also ok but they aren't exactly quick movers either at least on here.

6. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Above is a great ball park strategy...

Shameless plug -> as luck would have it I'M selling BUFFALOS here! http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-143344.html#p143344

Whats the go with Buffalo's? IMHO there just not as pretty or refined as other rounds so are less desirable...but saying that there cheaper :) personally prefer 10 Buffalos to a 10oz bar (based that there similar/same price) being smaller dividable...i.e without being "slightly more expensive per oz" as Fishball mentioned

Why am I selling these? hmmm been naughty in over committing myself :)

7. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

1 kg bars and coins are better value, less premium but - if silver really goes through the roof they are going to be a lot harder to sell if you need your money in a hurry.

I would go for the 10 oz (or less) bars or coins - a little more premium but easier to resell! Keep looking around for those bargains on the different sites (then tell us when you find one ! :D )

8. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

... Plus if you sell one the person who buys it off you can pay for it with one trip to the ATM. 1kg is over most peoples daily withdrawal limit.

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I think the standard is $500-2000 withdraw per day on ATM cards which can be adjusted.

I know that Commsec allows me to withdraw like $20k+ or was it $200k... I don't even have that much money though :D

If you think about it, 1KG is already well over the $500 mark and if Silver does keep on going up it's gonna be hard to find buyers willing to fork over $2000+ at once in cash.

It's definitely not convenient anyway, I remember trying to give someone over $2k in cash and the ATM gave me 50s so...BIG PAIN IN THE ASS.

And...we all know how bank transfers are risky business and I'm sure a lot of people are uncomfortable with transferring like $3000 to another guy whom they've never met.

So yeah gotta think about a lot of factors when buying Silver, stick to the well known and liquid stuff :)

Edit: So if you're looking at this thread and wanting cheap Silver, check out Ag's thread for Buffalos, at $38/oz that's pretty damn cheap, to be honest I'm surprised they aren't moving faster if at all.

10. PradoEagle

Thanks to those that replied. Now to where to buy? I just checked the Perth Mint bullion site and 1oz coins are $45.72 against a spot price of $34.31 (Kitco). (I am not sure if the fall Friday is reflected in the sale price yet.) Even if it is not then there is around a $10 premium. Where to get a better deal? I next checked Ainslie and they don't list the 1oz Kookaburra in 100's anymore. They have 20 for $879 ($43.95 ea from Friday's price list.) Slightly better.
    Is there anywhere else?
    PE

11. GenYTrader

GenYTrader Member

I buy my 1oz Perth Mint coins from bullionbourse.com
    They are WAY cheaper than the Perth Mint, are a reputable dealer with fast delivery.

12. slevin88

slevin88 Member

Try gainesville coins. Thats where i purchase alot of my silver and they usually have cheaper prices than most others. There are from the usa though so postage will be slightly more

13. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Hi Slevin

Just a few questions

Somewhere here I read about how to transfer money to Gainsesville but can't find the thread now.
    Is there any problems with customs bringing coins in from overseas and which are the best valued coins in your opinion from the USA?

14. slevin88

slevin88 Member

Hey mate

Well we've purchased multiple times from gainesville and we've never had any problems with customs or shipping or anything like that.
    Ive read that some people get hit with extra GST charge with orders over $1000 but most of our orders have been over $1000 and we've never been charged any extra.

Regarding the best valued coins, thats probably something to ask the real pros as im a fairly small stacker. Looking at their current price, the philharmonics, maples and koalas seem pretty good especially with the great exchange rate. I think the buffalo rounds are also a good price but theyre not as popular as the others as alot think theyre ugly! I like em
    But as i said, im a fairly small stacker and others here know alot more than me!

But like matrixopals said, if you know what you want, place a wanted add up here