What price would you sell at?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Guest, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Adjusted for inflation in today's dollar value what price would you sell at?

I'd sell between $150-$200.

I think it will go higher but I'll leave some profit for the chap that buys my silver :)

2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

$150-$200
    or $20,whichever comes first.

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Ignore fiat price and concentrate on DOW/gold, Oil/gold, house/Gold, silver/gold and the sociopolitical situation.

4. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

i'll trade whenever i need loaf of bread... hopefully one ozt will net me 10 loaves of 700gm bread

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

More concerned with GSR and overbought/oversold signals - April 2011 had some lessons to be learnt.

6. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

GSR @ 40:1 would suggest silver's selling signal

7. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Interestingly, I'm no big time stacker like some of you; even if gold:silver were to be 1:1 personally I would not trade out of silver, simply due to my stance on diversifying. However, if most of your wealth is tied up in silver & gold than that is understandable to play the ratio game.

Optimistically, you would aim for 12:1.

zombie apocalypse.

I recommend to always have some of your wealth in silver, no matter how tempting to sell, same for gold or any other inanimate thing.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not so much a price but a context.

If the price is skyrocketing and the media is full of stories on silver then it is getting close to the time to sell, if silver takes a long time to get up to high numbers and you don't hear much about it then I will hold on to it regardless of the dollar amount.

9. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Yep. I too won't forget. There were quite a few of us in SS contemplating swapping silver for gold which had gone from 75 to 1 to less than 40..I was going to trade when it got to 30 to 1.

IT NEVER DID! Lesson learned?

AK ER 43

10. smeagol

smeagol New Member

i agree, its best to focus on the gold silver ratio rather than the amount of fiat currency that you can get for your metal.

but is it worth selling your silver when the ratio is right or swapping it for gold??

or trading it for other tangible assets?

11. goldpelican

Swapping for other tangible assets would be based on their value compared to gold - the GSR will swing about either way in the meantime while everyone is waiting for their 1000oz silver houses to land in their lap.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Concerning the GSR, I see no reason why it would not return to it's global historical (and natural in the ground) ratio being around 12-15/1.

Especially given silvers new found technological uses.

Why do people think this is unlikely to happen?

13. goldpelican

Silver is predominantly a paper driven market. Irrational forces.

14. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Some times rarity can have little reflection on price i.e. iPhones are as common as dirt and are still valued highly. Demand must be weighed with scarcity and demand for gold by central banks puts gold well ahead of silver until something drastic changes (and it will)

15. AQ

AQ New Member

How do you tell or interpret from charts when it is overbought/oversold or underbought/undersold?
    Care to give some lessons to a young player? :D

16. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

I'll sell if/when ACA or TT start talking about the profits to be made from investing in silver.

17. Matthew 26:14

The 16:1 GSR of the 1500's and 1600's wont be seen again in my view UNLESS there suddenly becomes some miracle need for silver eg. artificial silver hearts or something! During the 1,600's in the "New World" of South America, masses of silver were discovered and brought back to Europe. So much so what had been a relatively rare metal in Europe now became far more common. In effect, there was QE in silver. With so much more supply the GSR increased. The 16:1 ratio needs to be look at in the context of essentially a small supply of silver available in Europe at the time and then an massive influx that devaluated all existing European silver reserves over about 100 years.

18. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Mathew the 16:1 ratio is based on the metals rarity compared to one another. Depending on what source you refer to silver is 12-16 times more abundant that gold. Some may say that silver is undervalued compared to gold when the ratio is higher than that. However, when you consider that silver has been consumed heavily while gold has remained hoarded the ratio could drop much lower to the 5:1 mark.

For me trading the ratio is simply the signal for me to tell when I am too heavy (in ounces) on one metal or another. As the ratio drops I'll trade from silver to gold and vise versa.

When to sell out of metals for other asset classes will be determined the same way thatguy and goldpelican mentioned. Ie selling for other assets that bring a cash flow.

19. Matthew 26:14

Perhaps, but the rarity of an element is in many ways irrelevent. Iridium for example is 40 times rarer than gold but is around $1,000 an oz. Shouldnt it be at least $60,000 due to its rarity? Platinum is rarer than gold and it too is less expensive than gold.

20. smeagol

smeagol New Member

best way to not get disappointed when you sell is to sell your metal in portions progressively and not all at once... that way you can at least get a good average ratio for gold and silver