What Kookaburra's to collect first? Come and see...

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, May 30, 2013.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

For those who stack Kooks, this information is for you. Obviously there will be many down the road who will want to collect the whole set of kooks, after all they are beautiful, there are so many kinds (unlike eagles), and quality remains intact (unlike many other mints). So with that being said, the most sets that can be collected is....84,455, period! Why? Because that's how many 2004 Kooks were minted. It is declared and can't and won't change. See comments below under the links, direct from the Mint.

I posted 2 links that highlight the coins with the lowest amount minted, and another one showing all kooks, and their declared amounts. Again, for the newbies out there, declared value is final, period, the end. So start collecting those coins with the lowest mint amount, as they will be going for a lot 10, and 20 years down the road, as more folks get introduced to the silver market and see the beauty and majesty of these beautiful birds!! I hope this helps.

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/us/blog/blog/13-05-16/Low_Mintage_Kookaburra_Bullion_Coins.aspx

http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...ra_Silver_Bullion_Coin_Series_1990_-_2013.pdf

From the Perth Mint!!

Maximum Mintage

For each limited coin you will find its Maximum Mintage the total number of coins authorised for production. If sales match the Maximum Mintage figure, the coin is labelled SOLD OUT.

Declared Mintage

Alternatively, the coin's Declared Mintage is displayed that is the final production figure for a coin that has been closed-off before its Maximum Mintage is reached.

Declared Mintages will never change and are therefore useful in determining the rarity of your coins.

2. tiburon18savard

tiburon18savard New Member

When silver spot price is in the 40's the 2004 Kookaburra sold for 80.00 US dollars many times over , great coin to own!!

3. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

;) barsenault
    You have nailed the kooks.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Decide if what you want to collect Kooks that are in original capsules or not, then consider which coin has the highest premium and why.

Then ask yourself which coins reached their maximum mintage and are declared sold-out "without" being involved in the "re-strike-fiasco".

Too often people think, a low mintage is the coin to buy, that's often true, but it's often far from the truth.

Often, collectors like a particular design.

The Kookaburra coins that were not involved in restrikes, and were sold-out in their own-right (Mintage 300,000) were the 1990, 2008, 2009, 2010, coins; later mintages of 500,000 and sold-out are...2011, 2012, 2013.

Mintages:
    http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...ra_Silver_Bullion_Coin_Series_1990_-_2013.pdf

Imo, the Kookaburra coin that "may" continue to gain and hold a premium is the 2008 Kook.

Perhaps the 1990, 2008, 2009, 2010 Kooks could be the best coins to collect before spot rises and...out of these coins...at the moment the 2008 seems to be the stand-out coin.

See ebay completed coin listings to get a rough idea of prices; here's an example of the 2008 Kook.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...s=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

DYODD.

H

Ivykoin likes this.
  5. RT

RT New Member

Does this apply to the PM Kooks that come in the heat shrink rolls?
    Or just ones on cards?

6. barsenault

Holdfast I agree, sort of. I'm with you regarding the likability of the coin. And the 2008 is my personal favorite too, surprise, surprise. LOL. That coin will go up in value for sure. As will the others. The point I was trying to make, is I believe there will be more and more interested in collecting the one of each of the whole set. I know I have! :). At the end of the day, the most sets that can be created world-wide is 84,455. That ain't a lot. Especially considering I've heard from the mint that the Chinese are starting to have a strong appetite for the kooks. And what of future generations? Granted the 2008's are the most beautiful, and will be hard to come by, but so to will the 2002, 2004, 2006, 1998, etc...not the, prettiest coins, but still will go up in value...substantially. Heck the 2006 is going for 55-65 on fleebay. Not the nicest coin in the series, but that coin was recently going for 33.00, glad I picked up nearly 200!! :)
    I don't think it will matter MUCH down the road if it was the original capsule or new one. IMHO. We shall see. Thanks for sharing your input.

7. barsenault

RT, not sure who that question was for, but that is the total mintage...no matter heat shrink rolls or square cards.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, that's good logic, and... as time goes by, I think confidence will return to the Kookaburra market.

The re-striking has thankfully finished; there wasn't a huge amount of re-strikes added to the original mintage figures but the fact remains, there are a bunch of coins that were not minted in the year of release and of course they're sprinkled into the Kookaburra market.

There's collectors who are purists, there's collectors that don't mind how, when or why the coin was minted, as long as they can make up a set of coins.
    The purists are in the minority, the majority rule the market.

Those guys who picked up the re-strikes cheaply from dealers may do quite well for themselves, but for a few years I think, the spot price of silver will drive the price of the "re-strikes"; the market has a very good memory.

Hopefully we can put this chapter behind us because frankly its been done to death on this forum and others.
    I hope Perth have learnt from their mistake, and can atleast, keep future Kook mintages to 500,000 coins as indicated by Mr. Ron Currie recently.

Best of luck with your Kooks, they truly are magnificent coins which have a huge following "worldwide".

End from me. :)

Cheers

H

9. barsenault

Amen. Holdfast. Makes perfect sense. I guess I'm not a purist, as I just got started 2 years ago. LOL. For my sake, I'm happy they did the restrike, but I feel bad for those who saw these issues get re-introduced to the market. I wouldn't be happy either! And I concur with your 500,000 limit. I hope they stick by their guns on that. It appears that when they start increasing the amount minted, the quality goes down the pooper. I will now only buy perth coins. Most all others I have purchased and since sold have spotting issues, and some horrific spotting. It is very rare that I find this issue with the Perth coins. And I pray they keep Thier focus on quality and not quantity. Thanks again for your feedback.

10. RT

RT New Member

Thanks for the answer.

Also, because the PM coins are already in the capsule, is that why there is less issue with spotting do you think?

Thanks

11. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

It would probably due to purity. 999 no issue.
    9999 canadian coins always spoted.
    Could be even how they processed the silver.
    Maybe their trademarks.

12. barsenault

Spotting can ruin the value of a coin...a collectible or semi numismatic coin. I think PM has mastered this for the most part. I think the reason is due to not minting a gazillion coins a year...and then having to source the blanks from less than reputable places. I think if the PM begins going to 1 mil, 2 mil...they too will have this issue.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122103

I believe a 70 will be downgraded for milk spots and if I am not mistaken there are people that have gotten replacements from PCGS for this before on ASE's and other coins that develop them. The milk spots is usually caused by the rinsing process they use on the planchet sat the mint, over time some of them start to get these white spots that look like the color of milk so people started calling them milk spots. I never heard of anyone being able to remove them before myself. This isn't an option for a graded coin graded as Perfect anyway but I am sure it would be covered under PCGS's grade guarantee as you would never be able to sell it at perfect prices. I think PCGS charges a fee for spot review but if they deem it effects the grade of the coin they will refund this fee. I am not 100% sure about this but its what I think I read about this

13. barsenault

I did a crazy thing, and I'm hoping the gamble pays off 20 or so years down the road. I had 1200 silver eagles. I sold everyone dang one of them over the last 3 months, along with some Somalian elephants (spotted). I sold all my Canadian maples, cougars, bears - enough said about thos POS coins and their spotting. I dumped my Philharmonics, Mexicans, and any other coin that wasn't a Panda, Kook, Lunar, or Brittania...and I sunk all the proceeds into........kooks. Granted I didn't get 1200 for 1200, but that is fine by me. I came awfully close, and I got coins that hardly, if ever spot; that have a low mintage; and is gaining recognition around the world. I'm happy with my decision. I figure I can get eagles in mass quantity any time. However, I can't get mass quantities of kooks any time. And when they run out where I buy them, they will be hard to come by in high quantities and at a good price...everywhere. IMHO. I got a stack of a 100 of most years, and in the low mint years (2006, 1998, etc...) I was able to grab 150 of those bad boys. I shall see if it was a stupid or smart move...not tomorrow, but in 20 years. :)

14. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

collecting or stacking?
    if collecting then it makes sense to collect a coin for each year
    if stacking then I agree with some - sold out early issues are good to stack

I don't care about restrikes as the coin is the same, no one is able to tell the difference between restriked coin and original one so why to bother? Squared capsule with original toned coin doesn't worth to me more than restriked BU coin without any toning or such.

in years to come kookas as well as pandas will grow in value ... not sure about canadian bullion though the coins I've bought earlier are still holding their value.

15. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there is no point to pay too much to stack 1990, 2008, 2009 the upside potential is not as great as the lower mintage ones.

just for the most percentage gains, if you can get at bullion or when issued price or bargain prices, they will be the better choice.

kooks can be stopped so the re-new interest after decades away, is very hard to predict, they are not like pandas that were hated and melted down when the mint failed to sell out.

people hated the re-mint, so they may be better potential in the future :lol:

16. barsenault

The re-mint sucks for the collector who bought 'way back then,' but is a great opportunity for us newbies to own a piece of history. What would have royally sucked for everyone however, is if they went ahead and said, 'we're going to mint on demand for ALL years till we hit that 300,000?' If that were the case, I would never have bought, as I'm sure many other newbies would have felt the same way...especially with the premium you pay to own this coin. But now that they have declared mintage on all their bullion, any many are between 80k - 110k, I'm all over sucking up as many as these as possible. I won't purchase any other bullion until the 'mass quantities' are gone from Wholesalers at reasonable prices ($33 - 39) for most years. All the best fellow kook, kooks...hehehe.

17. MAXlMUS

MAXlMUS New Member

I`ve just picked 2 x 2004 Kooks up on ebay.....thanks for the advice.:)

Cheers

Mark

18. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I like the 2008 design. But past years might be a bit expensive to stack / the majority of the price increase may have already happened.

I will start stacking kooks from 2014. Kinda missed out on the 2013, as I don't have much free capital at the moment so only got 1.

What year was the first year they started producing Kooks in capsules? And when does this 'set' finish? I just presumed they will continue the kook production indefinitely.

19. barsenault

20. barsenault