What is with 1 gm coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Kasanga, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Kasanga

Kasanga Member

Doing some surfing and came across these 1 gm silver coins 1.5 mm diameter they would have to b the most ridiculous thing ever I figure they have to b rubbish

Any one know what the reality of these is? are they a catch for the unwary they seem pretty dodgy to me who would ever want a one gm coin even if they were real?

2. ChunkyPM

ChunkyPM New Member

Could look very handy to kids learning the ropes about money.
    In fractions of 31 the maths could do well for them

3. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When you see those 1 gms of silver go for ridiculous amounts of money. "You know it time to sell ya stack'.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

+1

They're novelties, not bullion.

5. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

If its stamped from a regular mint than you could treat it as a 1/32 oz of silver, but the thing is pay for for it same price as for 1/4 oz silver.

so in a nutshell, the 1 grammers are good only if you have minting capabilities and are able to sell em.

I have seen an aussie guy on eBay sell - 1 troy grain ( around 0.065 grams ) gold 'pellets' )
    he did describe them as very small pieces but was selling them @ buy it now auctions at like $6 a pop and he sold many.

The smaller the weight the larger the premium, and with gold in coin or bar form, i think ud need to buy at least 3 oz plus to get it at SPOT

ie.

3 oz @ spot - 1 oz + 7.50 % margin - 1/4 oz +12.50 % margin - 1/25 oz + 20% - 1 troy grain + 200% margin

even 1 g Palladium bars that are being sold ( @ 0.999 purity ) you cant get for less than maybe aroudn $30- $35 - and spot Pd for 1 g would be less than $25