What is the consensus on buying non assayed silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by samboyellowsub, Feb 27, 2011.

1. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

There is a large 70+ ounce silver bar at a shop that I've been wondering about. It does say .999 on it, but it does not have an assayer's name or mark on it. They want spot + $1 for it. I'm sure they'd let me do an acid test on it. Its not like its a very pretty bar or anything. They might look at me funny if I asked to dunk it in a graduated container to measure its volume. Hey, its not like I'd be spending $2000+ or anything :D

Does anyone ever buy non assayed silver?

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

There are larger members (volume of transactions, not girth) on this forum that do purchase non-assayed bars for spot. However they probably have access to XRF machines or other such tests if there were any concerns.

Personally I would not, because I generally only purchase things that I am able to liquidate QUICKLY if the need ever arose. A non-standard size, non-mint marked, non-assayed bar doesn't meet this criteria.

Others may have different views :)

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Caveat Emptor.

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Bring a bucket of water and some scales and kindly explain to them why ur doing that.
    Once you determine its purity - offer 90% of SPOT and be ready to walk away if they
    dont agree.
    Its non-assayed and everyone will have doubts about it - and the "blob" isnt as liquid at
    that price and those conditions.

Specific gravity of silver is 10.49 g/cm3 and if its less than 10 of the "blob" you wont be able to
    get the accurate figure with that method alone and you shouldnt even buy it.