What is the better/best form ( shape) to purchase?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Golden ChipMunk, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Hi Stackers
    I will try to keep this as simple as possible. Firstly my english not too good.
    So excuse me on my spelling and sentences as well.
    I would like to know what is the better form of gold to purchase.
    What size is popular in term of liquidity?
    Up to what size it will be hard to liquid?
    Cast bar,minted, coin and other form, which are better as investment.

2. KMGeneral

KMGeneral Member

As I don't really stack gold I can't say that I've researched what is popular, however I am attracted to (in order): Nuggets!, Sovereigns (including half Sovereigns), 1/10th oz coins, Certicards (with a preferrence for 5 and 10grams), and Jewlery.
    I also would love to have a 1oz cast bar, some day :p

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

serial numbered certicards, 5 & 10 g, and 1oz

4. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Most popular small - 1/10 coins and 5gm certicard.
    Most popular large - 100gm cast, then 1oz and 50gm both minted and cast.
    Our larger buyers wont even look at coins.
    Currently this is what we move most of, will be different for other dealers.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Kangaroo 10g Minted Gold Bar sell ok.

Also, remember that coins can realise you a numismatic premium if...what you buy, is liked by the market in-conjunction with a low mintage.

As an example, we could look at a 1oz gold bullion coin vs a 1oz gold bar.

Investigate the price of a Perth Mint 2012 - 1oz gold Bullion Year Of The Dragon (mintage 30,000 - sold-out) and then compare the price to a Perth Mint 1oz gold Certicard.
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Gold-Bars/1oz--Minted.aspx?productId=100

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the buyer.

1oz is by far the most popular size item Gold Stackers sells - both in bars and coins.

10oz bars are popular, and 50g/100g sell well too.

Kilo bars however sell by the truckload to banks etc if you're in that end of the game.

7. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Certicards - bigger the size the better. :)

8. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Hi GC, Welcome back and Nice to see you have taken heed to a few of the suggestions made by other members :)

If buying gold remember that the smaller the ingot the higher the premium over spot.
    Certicards will cost a little more than bare ingots, but I think its worth the cost.

Largest size I would go is 1oz - as remember that if gold price doubles (say from $1650 to $3300), you can still sell you gold at your local gold place without them hitting the $5000 ID required limit or $10000 compulsary government reporting limit.
    If you go for 50g ($2650) or 100g ($5250) and the price doubles, then you would hit one or both of these limits when you decide to sell.

As for smallest size, look at the % premium over spot for each size and determine if youre willing to pay the extra dollars or not.
    Would definately steer clear of 1g/2.5g bars as you are paying $65 / 59 a gram.

Personally I think 5 gram bars are a good starting point for fractional gold and not badly priced at ~ $56 an gram.

Hope that helps,

Au-

9. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Bizarre fact of the day - all the while I've been shopping around of late - I've found PM Certicarded 1oz bars to be CHEAPER than cast, in a lot of places I've been looking. I thought this made NO logical sense whatsoever!

I'd recommend 1oz bars, and 1/2oz if you don't mind the premium.

It all comes down to a matter of budget and plans for moving them in my opinion. If you want to occasionally release some cash from your stack and don't want to sell ~$1600's worth at a time, then seriously consider fractional low premium gold in the form of sovereigns and half sovereigns - they have a bullion value hovering around $200 and $400 respectively, and provided your buying is right, you may even profit from numismatic premiums.

My advice in summary:

Core Stack: 1oz gold certi's

Gold for possible release/sale: sovereigns/half sov's.

10. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I like 5 and 10 g cericards sovs and ducats are nice too.

11. goldpelican

Perth Mint 1oz certicards are much cheaper from a wholesale perspective than Perth Mint cast bars. Other brand/generic cast bars can be had cheaper, but for bang for buck, the Perth Mint 1oz certicard is about the best bar going. Tamper-proof packaging, internationally recognised, trusted hallmark, low premiums.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd go fractional Perth mint lunar gold

13. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

I am considering getting the small loaf, they are so cute.
    But then the minted bar looks bigger no doubt the weight might be equilvalent.
    The 1 oz button looks good too.
    Hmm. What shall I get?
    We have the fraction verses metric.
    In term of popularity what sizes and shapes majority will go for?
    Which one is more legit in term of reconise approval by many?

14. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Each to their own I'm afraid. That is, there is no single answer. At the end of the day (ignoring numismatics) silver is silver and gold is gold. The shape is essentially irrelevant although the reputation of the refiner may add liquidity (and legal tender status generally adds some other characteristics of value).

Obviously liquidity is affected by the number of willing buyers which depends on the value (i.e. not many people have enough spare cash for a 400oz bar but hundreds of thousands can afford a 1oz (and more for fractionals).

15. reggie

reggie New Member

16. goldpelican

Kicker there is the premiums.

Look at the mintages for popularity - the 1oz gold coin is the most heavily produced coin size when the Kangaroo mintages are taken into account.

We sell many multiples of 1oz gold compared to any other size.

Around the world, at the retail investment level, 1oz (whether coin or bar) is the most popular. Usually is the tipping point as well for premium vs size, bigger than 1oz there are diminishing returns in terms of the percentage over spot you save.

17. goldpelican

Um, have sold multiples of 50oz gold bars to single buyers @ $1600/oz+ - if future prices are high, it's because people are buying at that price.

Never worry about the affordability of 1oz gold.

18. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I dont think youll ever have an issue selling 1 oz bars or coins. The issue I have is not being able to wait to save 1650 at a time to buy. I like 5 g less premium than 1/10 and 1/4 legal tender coins they look nice And theyre affordable.
    Gold is gold that said make sure its recognizable in your area. ei a kangaroo will probably sell easier in Aus than an AGE etc.

19. Byron

Byron Guest

GP, how do 1/2 oz coins sell? I vaguely remember you're not a fan of that size. Any negatives to half ouncers?

Like sargeant argent, i too would save too slow for a 1 oz, but find the premiums for anything less than 1/2 oz too high.

20. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

My view is unless you are pouring in some serious cash (read here $100,000+) stick to buying gold no bigger than 1oz in size.

Low premium gold is the name of the game, usually bars in the certi-cards is a good option.

Coins I would avoid. Especially the likes of the Australian Kangaroo. These have never obtained any numismatic premium worth their price to buy over spot.

Sovereigns can be a useful entry point into gold as they are roughly 1/4oz in size, internationally recognized and trade relatively low over spot (if you buy the mass produced years).

Avoid buying any gold coins that have been graded (eg. PCGS, NGC) as there is a cost built into its price for the coin being graded.