What is considered grade MS69?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by PanDex, Apr 30, 2012.

1. PanDex

PanDex New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to Pandas and this forum. My inaugural piece is the Singapore 2012 medal and that's how I found my way to this forum, reading and learning from all the interest posts here.
    Recently, I purchased a 2012 1oz silver panda MS69 and noticed a white spot on it and since it's my first time seeing a graded coin, I'm not sure what to expect. I have checked the image on NGC certification lookup and the spot is there.

I know MS70 should be flawless, but what is MS69? A visible white spot, a scratch or a tiny chip?

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi PanDex, welcome to the Panda Forum @ Silverstackers! It's a pleasure to have you join us!

Judging criterion is extensive. A perfect coin (Mint State 70) is one that is flawless, but as MatrixOpals once put it, nothing really beats a good 69. 68s are also pretty good in my view.

The graders look for obvious defects like fingering, scratching, dents, dings, etc - and yes, whitespots too.

Often, if you have a whitespot, it will bump the grade down to a MS68 or lower. Perhaps your whitespot was considered very minor :)

Feel free to put up a picture.

Welcome again! :)

3. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Hi PanDex

I got this MS69 graded Kook the other week, if you look on the chin of the Queen there's a whitespot, or some other mark (looks like a mole to me)...

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3613448-214

I guess it was graded a MS69 as the Queen's chin isn't the main feature of the coin?? How does the mark on yours compare to this?

it's not visible to the naked eye, I only spotted it when I examined it through a loupe, and then went to the NGC site to look at the pics

cheers

edit: because I can't smell

4. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

There are ms70 2012 pandas on Apmex now for $99. I want one

5. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Same ones at modern coin mart for $89---they ship to Australia too

6. PanDex

PanDex New Member

This is the coin I received, the white spot is very visible as I noticed it right away, on the left near the top of the temple...

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3616494-255

I'd like to know if this is to be expected of MS69 or should I return it? I will be getting a couple more MS69, then I'll be able to compare the differences.

Thanks for your replies and hope to learn more about these gorgeous little bears from all of you.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

That's bad. Return it asap!

Sometimes there's a little bit of white 'hazing' which is acceptable but to have a spot like that on a brand new coin? No way.

Considering there are thousands for sale on eBay, you could easily get a flawless one there.