What intrinsic value???

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mmissinglink, Jul 29, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "write out-of-the-money covered calls".

Just because a term has some "mainstream" 'definition' doesn't mean it's sensible or valid. I could probably rattle of dozens if not hundreds of "mainstream" defined terms that are ridiculous or absurd. As just one example, many if not most Lefty Liberals that I know of claim that only white people can be racists and that black people can not be. This is a mainstream concept in today's America and they define "racism" in a very bizarre way that I reject.

I choose to reject that which makes no sense even though there may be some mainstream position for that thing. Intrinsic value for inanimate things makes no sense.

The value that is created when someone uses a commodity to produce income is not a function of the commodity itself, but rather a function of the person using or deploying it. That value created isn't intrinsic of the blobs of metal sitting on a shelf....if anything the value is of the person deploying the asset in a certain way.

I'm sorry to burst more bubbles here but no one in this forum has put forth a good argument in favor the notion that a piece of metal has intrinsic value.

2. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One of the best paragraphs I've read all week.
    Still sounds like cognitive bias - anchoring to me.

3. wrcmad

Technically, yes.
    Ironically in this case, it takes a derivative-structured trade to artificially create an intrinsic value for metal. :lol:
    Wouldn't that be considered manipulation ??? :lol: :p

4. mmissinglink

One of the reasons I created this thread is because I am currently reading Jim Rickards "The New Case For Gold". While there are many things that I think make sense that Rickards argues and certainly he is far more educated than I on possibly anything to do with the financial world, he argues that gold and silver have intrinsic value....and his argument is poor at best. Rickards is considered a pumptard by some and a permabull by others. Frankly, some of the things he talks about is over my head but the things that aren't, I can certainly agree or disagree with his arguments.

To answer your question, if something is "valued because of their physical properties or characteristics" then this is always going to be a value the individual attaches to that thing. Now collectively, many people can attach value to a thing but that does not in any way, shape, or form mean that the attached collective value by these individuals is intrinsic of or by that thing....these are after all, attached values, not an intrinsic value.

Properties and characteristics certainly can be intrinsic....but valuation is always attached.

If value were objectively intrinsic in a thing like a bar of silver, there would be no argument as to what the ideal buy and sell price of that bar is. But I bet if you ask a hundred stackers what the specific intrinsic value of a silver bar is, you'd probably get 101 different answers. :D

5. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Intrinsic properties and characteristics. Attached valuation because of the intrinsic properties and characteristics. Seems like we're getting into circular wordplay here even though the two of us seem to agree on the underlying elements. :/

As we've vigorously agreed no value is objective it is purely subjective and per individual. But, as we've also vigorously agreed, many of those individuals are basing their valuation on the intrinsic properties and characteristics (in conjunction with their circumstances, expectations and information). Does that mean there is no such thing as "intrinsic value"? Depends on how you define it I guess and I'll leave that for grammaticists. :p

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Does a factory with idle machinery have intrinsic value? Or does it take some people to stop twiddling their thumbs & actually do something with it?

Same goes for real estate.

Still don't see the difference between those 2 examples, versus lumps of precious metals, when it comes to intrinsic value.

Speaking of which, I really haven't been following along..

Have you yet to put forth your definition of intrinsic value, here? Would love to have it. And please be brief. :D

7. Gatito Bandito

What's so ironic about it, if others do the same exact thing in the stock/share market re: businesses, for example?

8. wrcmad

Ironic because to satisfy one of the of the permabullshitartist's main criteria for stacking (intrinsic value of PMs vs worthless fiat), requires deplored manipulation via the very paper they condemn.

9. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

What can be said is that you can be certain that the value of gold and silver to the general population will never drop to zero. There is in practice zero chance they will one day become worthless, like a fad that has worn off etc, like a paper currency that has now become worthless for *insert reason*.
    History and the mindset of humans throughout history and into today and tomorrow will always attribute some worth to gold and silver (gold more so of course).
    What that "value" is will vary, but it will always be worth something to most people.

You could argue that gold to a starving person in Africa is worthless, but it's not, because they would almost certainly know it's worth something to others and would likely happily take it over a loaf of bread, because they know they'll be able to trade it for more food or whatever with someone.

10. Gatito Bandito

So how is it considered manipulation if it's fully-backed (hence, "covered" ;) ) -- nothing more, nothing less -- by an actual corresponding amount of physical?

11. wrcmad

The obvious response would be one I have already given - your inference is that intrinsic value of a PM is created only (artificially through paper), once a covered call is written (created from thin-air). This seems to satisfy the pumptard's definition of manipulation - artificial price formation via paper created from thin-air. Backing is irrelevant.
    The other response I could give is that there is no evidence COMEX isn't backed - contrary to the pumptard claims, so it logically follows by your own argument that manipulation is not evident there either. :)

12. mmissinglink

To some it may be some hypothetical "circular wordplay" to others it's called logic and the reality on the ground.

The subjective "value" of some object is entirely different from its "characteristics" and "properties".....no grammatacist necessary at all.

13. mmissinglink

To the contrary. I was accustomed, for a period of time (before I discovered learned some things about the Austrian School of Economics) to reading, watching, and hearing a different group of permabulls who all regurgitated the same mantra of "intrinsic value" in precious metals....and I swallowed that mantra until I critically examined it and understood it was a nonsensical mantra.

So my position is anything but relying on some initial piece of information and sinking roots into that....I rejected anchoring in exchange for logic and the reality on the ground.

14. mmissinglink

No, there is no difference between a factory, real estate, or a blob of metal sitting on a shelf. Nothing material and inanimate has intrinsic value. I learned this when I tried selling a piece of property my dad purchased 40 years ago. That property lost value over this time even though at the time it was purchased, the neighborhood was sort of up and coming and had a lot of promise for property values to shoot up. It took me forever to sell that property and I was glad to finally stop the financial bleeding it cost me to maintain. What is its intrinsic value? Empty set. It has none. The only value it can have is the value individuals attach to it.

Intrinsic value is value by and unto itself. The fact that it requires people to attach value to a piece of property or a blob of metal means that the value is NOT intrinsic.

The mistake (IMHO) that too many times some people make is to conflate values like cost of production or market value or yield to "intrinsic value".

Here's your intrinsic value of gold for you.....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3u83u5

15. Gatito Bandito

So by your definition, intrinsic value doesn't exist anywhere. Because it is *all* artificially created, by most accepted definitions.

And yes, already fully aware of the "trap" I laid for myself re: manipulation -- yet, I also set it out for you, as well. ;)

BTW, I wouldn't get busted for manipulation in my above scenario; however, can't exactly say the same for some major financial institutions, who have already publicly settled for BIG money (and feel free to yet again make the claim that settling for good $$ isn't the same as guilt -- but most people know better.. :p )

16. Gatito Bandito

Okay, sounds good.

Others in the financial world might not agree with you, but that's all I wanted to hear.

Anyway, sounds like you in actuality have a beef with "the pumpers" (who probably don't even visit this forum) -- perhaps some who have claimed that PM's have intrinsic value, and/or who have "wronged you" in the past?

If that's the case, then why not take it up directly with them? Just my suggestion. :p

17. mmissinglink

Because there are stackers here who regurgitate the "intrinsic value" myth/faulty logic too. If they spew it here, then that means they likely spew it elsewhere (including in public and/or to certain non-stackers they may encounter and this can only end up doing damage to stackers and stacking. I've already seen the consequences of such mis-information on some newbies....it's not good.

Besides integrity, IMHO, logical arguments are crucial if we are going to communicate with others about the merits of investing one's money into blobs of precious metals.

18. wrcmad

I wasn't referring to you.
    I can see you are well aware of the realities.
    But for many, the initial piece of information is still strongly embedded... As you pointed out.

19. wrcmad

On the contrary.... I was referencing your definition. :p

20. mmissinglink

I really hope that no one here is suggesting that the definition of "value" in "intrinsic value" means "usefulness or importance" because that would be a misapplication of a definition.

"Value" in "intrinsic value" means the amount of money that something is worth....more or less a valuation. And since it's tied to "intrinsic", this would mean an objective, specific value that no one could possibly disagree with since the thing itself is delineating its own specific value or that without humans, it would be objectively valued.

If you believe that a piece of silver has intrinsic value, then you would have to state specifically what the objective, indisputable value of silver is. Otherwise you would have to believe that silver has no intrinsic value and that each of us attaches some value to it, which in my view is the only possible thing that makes sense. Go....

[​IMG]