What happened to The Perth Mint? End of interest for all their coins?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by alexbecks, May 25, 2013.

1. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Last year Perth Mint series Dragon Lunar Year was fantastic at the beginning.
    Hard to find coins with price increasing fast.
    Then they have been able to destroy this success issuing lunar dragon coins of any type, any combination of size, colour, relief, boxed/unboxed, etc. A new coloured dragon coin for every coin show, but them all together were the 10 coin set, then privy mark, then gilded, then specimen, then proof, then kilo with or without gemstone, with or without colour.... was an army of dragons that made all collectors tired.
    Look at the Snake this year, I am still waiting to see one of these coins performing like the equivalent dragon last year.

This is a completely wrong market move, being too greedy and try to feed the market with so many products when there was not such demand, was the wrongest thing they could have done. And they didn't stop when the general comments on internet were mostly negatives about that, they should have listen more to the collector's thoughts.

Alex.

2. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Much as I hate to say it being Canadian, the RCM is following way too close in thier footsteps with the amount of issues being released........Greed always kills the golden goose

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

On the other side of the coin (pardon the pun), a mint releasing many coins may be a good thing for current collectors....depending on what type and quality coins they release. For argument sake, let's say that the quality of most of the coins of a given mint are of good or even high quality, if a mint releases many types and variations of the same design, that could (and often does I think) injure the value of each individual type of that design. I believe that's what member Alexbecks was referring to. But if different designs are produced, it could attract interest from different collectors that may otherwise not be interested in the very limited designs a mint might have. The more new collectors who have interest in a mint's coins, the better in the long run it will probably be for all collectors of coins from that mint. This has happened with me with a few coins from different mint's....and now I am looking at those mint;s other releases where I probably would not otherwise have done. I may even break down and buy a few Perth Lunar dragons in spite of the fact that I hate dragons. :)

If someone dislikes the silver American Eagle design but loves the Buffalo and Native American designs, it is a good thing that the US Mint has a variety of designs to satisfy different tastes. The more people having interest in the US Mint's products can only mean, I believe, good things for those already buying US Mint coins. More money coming into the US Mint can buy better production and more outreach to potential customers. More customers and collectors means, in the long term, more potential for values of all precious metals coins going up.

Just my thoughts on this.

4. clubman

clubman Member

My term "quality" also refer to their core business, striking cons. I can't remember hw many refunds i made. I refunded a few colour dragon proofs coz of milk spot...

5. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

I actually thought that you were joking with the 'Famous ships that never sailed series' so I had to check out the Perth Mint site and I'll be a plucked duck you were serious!

This bottom of the barrel idea from the Perth Mint is clearly showing its releasing way too many coins and their designers are suffering imagination fatigue. :/

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Commissioned Product Struck by The Perth Mint

You realise it's commisioned coin for the government of Tuvalu? :rolleyes:

The mintage is tiny, just 3,000 coins.

H

7. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

I seriously hope that the absence of the sarcasms smiley has mistakenley put your post under suspicion of being a serious defence of this magnificent coin. :/

Bring on the scarcasm smiley!

8. Holdfast

Yeah, I'll defend Perth's coins, but only the coins you consider to be worthwhile. :p :lol:

9. clubman

clubman Member

I'll still buy from them, but only bullion coins with limited mintage, say Lunars.

10. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Curious question, what collectors coins have they re-minted? Say it ain't so? I'm a newbie, sorry.

11. Byron

Byron Guest

I respectfully disagree re the excellent designers bit.

Recent year Kook designs (last 3 years) have been crap compared to the pre-2010 designs. Too cartoony and amateurish.

The recent Koala designs are also atrocious. How can such a cuddly animal look so bad on a coin?

Many also believe that the series 1 lunar designs were also superior to season 2.

12. Holdfast

Ah yes, those Koala's like the 2011 are aweful! :rolleyes: Like they sold 910,480 1oz coins and all the Lunar 1oz coins were sold-out including the privy coins!

Every Lunar 1oz series 2 coin is sold-out

Mintages of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 Kooks all sold-out!

And of course, the Dragon was the all-time selling coin design ever for Perth! :cool:

Sold-out
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngisXrlcn4[/youtube]

Sold-out
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyOE7EXE7YY[/youtube]

Sold-out
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeQ0I2gwv8U[/youtube]

13. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2011 Koala is my favourite .... Happy to swap any one with current year coins.

14. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^ Good points Holdfast, but they sorta fudged the numbers to get "sold out" status on the 2013 kooks.

15. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

If the Perth Mint keep throwing out so many coins, and keep these high prices, for next year Lunar coins we will have...
    "Famous Horses that never... galloped" :D

Alex.

16. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agreed with clubman.
    I believe PM lunar standard bullion coins will still highly demanded.

17. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My take is that some coins sold out not necessarily because the designs were nice or anything, but mostly because of people speculating that their value will increase.

(IMO, the designs of lunar series 1 is way nicer than the current series).

18. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

I agree with most posts here. The perth mint releases way too many series of coins and way too many variations within these series. I remember looking on the perth mint website/bullion dealer websites and silver stackers a year ago when I first got into silver and it is all wayy too confusing. Series 1, Series 2, privy, (i believe there is even different types of privy?) proof, high relief, coloured etc etc. Its way too much to try and take in when you are new and I would imagine it puts a lot of people off perth mint coins.

19. clubman

clubman Member

Agreed, sold out at the mint doesn't mean sold out at retailers, I still see many dealers including Australia Post, still got the Opal Wombat in stock.

20. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

This one? Funny how I have seen many people on this site complain about this coin..

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=...nh=190&tbnw=190&start=0&ndsp=26&tx=137&ty=101

Its the only numismatic I have wanted to buy. The minimal amount of colour looks really good IMO. Although I haven't seen it in person.