What fresh madness is this?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Jislizard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So I am looking for copper bullion while waiting for the price of silver to drop and I come across an auction for a "Pure Copper Nugget Dipped In 999 Gold = 43.81 grams"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pure-Cop...70752284365?pt=AU_Bullion&hash=item3f0a17fecd

Sure enough the description is;
    FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE
    PURE COPPER NUGGET
    DIPPED IN 999 GOLD
    WEIGHS 43.81 GRAMS
    MEASURES APPROX 35mm X 25mm

Now I don't know enough about the market as to whether there is a demand for pure copper or any other metal to be dipped in pure gold, not even sure what that means.

Copper nuggets can be bought elsewhere from about 35 US cents / gram.

Would the dipping be in molten gold or does this mean electoplating?

The seller has a lot of copies of rare coins for sale on the ebay site, some 100 mills plated bullion, replica bullion bars, gold flakes in a bottle. In fact Robs_Bullion_investments doesn't seem to have much in the way of bullion in his store.

Anyone ever dealt with this seller? I take it all back if he is upfront, at least all his copies have 'copy' stamped on them but the only reason I can think to produce a gold covered copper nugget would be to try and pass it off as a real gold nugget. Although he is selling them as gold covered copper there is no guarantee that they are not being resold as gold nuggets. Not a case of 'buyer beware' as the listing is very specific but a case of 'beware of the buyer', why are they after such an item. The only thing I can think of is for a prank on a metal detectorist but surely copper would ping differently from gold? Who knows?

Maybe I am missing something

2. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

your link goes straight to lasvegas_rob . I should think the last part of the name says a lot.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Actually the LasVegas bit immediately made me think of cowboys. Not sure if that has the same meaning in Oz as it does in the UK but over there it means shoddy rip-off merchants.

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pretty much the same.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Madness? THIS IS SILVERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Wait...something's wrong