What does 'Sterling' mean?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Cind3r, May 29, 2013.

  1. Cind3r

    Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2012
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    114
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Adelaide
    Hi

    Can anyone explain if there is some official meaning for stirling silver content other than the 925/1000 parts of silver? Does it have to contain copper as the other part? does the copper have to be 999?

    The reason i ask is i have some 1988 proof Aus $2 coins which came in boxes but had damaged capsules. Since i got them for face value i thought it would be fun to gingle them in my hands.
    I also have a very very powerfull magnet and the magnet repels the coins. To be clear the coins are not attracted to the magnet at either poles but are repeled.

    Its very strange, any help would be great thanks :)
     
  2. Matthew 26:14

    Matthew 26:14 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    Messages:
    3,354
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Victoria
    just means there must be at least 92.5% silver, the other 7.5% is not required to be made up of anything in particular but is usually some base metals or alloy.
     
  3. Old Codger

    Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    May 13, 2011
    Messages:
    4,933
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Sterling.

    ;-)
     
  4. trew

    trew Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2011
    Messages:
    3,810
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Melbern
    1988 $2 proofs were made in both silver and alum/bronze

    If they are a silver colour and weigh 8.43 grams they are sterling silver
    if they weigh 6.6 grams and the same colour as a regular $2 coin they are alum/bronze

    If you got a 1/4 oz silver coin for $2 you scored
     
  5. Old Codger

    Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    May 13, 2011
    Messages:
    4,933
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
  6. Naphthalene Man

    Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2010
    Messages:
    5,290
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Hunter Valley, NSW
    Sterling job old chap
     
  7. Old Codger

    Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    May 13, 2011
    Messages:
    4,933
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    My BIL comes from Stirling (Scotland).

    Can't understand a word he says.


    OC
     
  8. Naphthalene Man

    Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2010
    Messages:
    5,290
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Hunter Valley, NSW
    I grew up in Stirling (WA). How about that.
     
  9. Fat Freddy

    Fat Freddy New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Messages:
    610
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Zeta Reticuli
    Stirling Moss was one of the most legendary race car drivers in the history of the sport.
     
  10. Old Codger

    Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    May 13, 2011
    Messages:
    4,933
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
  11. Espen_83

    Espen_83 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2013
    Messages:
    61
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Norway
    Think I've seen smaller percentage referred to as sterling.
     
  12. DanielM

    DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    Messages:
    2,930
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Melbourne
    People can refer to a cheese burger as sterling.....doesn't make it sterling
     
  13. Cind3r

    Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2012
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    114
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Adelaide
    lol ok ok ok :) ill fix the spelling, my bad.

    I figured out why the coins seem magnetic. I can make anything from a 1/10th oz 999 silver coin to a 100oz bar seem magnetic with these magnets. When you move a high power magnet over any metal that conducts electricity it causes eddy currents to be generated which creates an electromagnetic field to generate in the metal that reples the magnet.

    I tested this with a 10cm/sq sheet of 2mm thick copper, aluminium and 999 silver. As expected silver has the strongest effect as its the best conductor.
     

Share This Page