What combination would you buy with $370 dollars?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gucci, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Gucci

Gucci New Member

I'm agreeing with the people that's saying get the 10oz lunar horse. I already have the 10oz kookaburra. The koala is overpriced & I find it hard to sell any Chinese coins on eBay as china fake bullion is everywhere. The 10oz NTR horse was the best advice given since I'm investing & not coin collecting. Waiting would be a bad idea because I've been buying since 2005 & I have never bought anything at a lose simply by following this basic rule. Never buy above $20 dollars and you will always win. $19.99 & Below = A win. But that's only in my case. But I don't like bars althought there was plans to get a 100oz bar I will switch over to 1oz gold Lunar Horse Series II.

So now the question is would you buy a 10oz lunar horse and add $ to get another 10oz lunar horse or get a 10oz lunar with... maybe 5oz ATB. (Anyone with any other suggestions?)

BTW Which one of the coins will probably be worth more if I held for 20 years?

2. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

I'd go for a 10 oz Kook and the remaining I'd spend on Maple Leafs.

First: Kooks are limited, rarer nowadays and still "quite cheap", you can still get a few. Horses' price varies, but you will still have time to buy them...
    Second: Maples are among the cheapest and the purest silver coins. In fact the purest coins that I know of at this time (.9999). For the sake of metal...

If you are a low to medium income person and you buy <40 oz per year, then I'd advise you to buy all Maple Leafs. It's the cheapest possible way to invest in silver AS METAL.

Otherwise, if you want numismatic potential, you could go for a few Kooks and Horses, but the latter came out pretty expensive. And I see you are eye-ing 10 oz and 2 oz coins rather.

3. TreasureHunter

Warte Mann!

Are you saying that silver will drop to 7.4 $/oz? To me it's enough even if you say sub-10 $ silver. It's shocking! :eek: There will be a lot of pain and crying on the market and stackers will freak out!

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Take into account that I don't expect a stable sub $10 or even $15 price or so. Only a couple years ago I thought the price wouldn't stabilize under $30, and look where it was driven too.
    But look at all the silver stocks out there, including our stacks. The expected inflation didn't arrive so far, 2008+6 years, and ETF's, the big price drivers in the 2008-2010 years, ceased to add. Just the new produced silver already suffices to bring $20, what will those ETF and our stacks sales then do additionally?
    I learnt to be realistic. The hard way.
    I now have the job to do better, and correct my error as much as I can, and I think there are chances on $15 and if a 2008 style crisis again reoccurs, why not lower, in its worst days? The Comex position trend clearly indicates others selling at this price level. So far, like they did before, they increased their position and this way prevented the price to go to $17 or so, but any bad economical news / crisis ignition/flake suffices to make them dump (once again) all the positions. My hope/plan is to then concentrate a next purchase.
    I feel pain nor cry. Things are like they are. I'm responsible for my decisions, and I try to make better ones instead!
    Do you have any arguments to make clear the opposite? Feel free to give them. I'm all ears.

5. TreasureHunter

Pirocco:

You say "there are chances on $15 and if a 2008 style crisis again reoccurs, why not lower, in its worst days?"

You mean silver could actually drop is a 2008 style scenario happens again?
    I know PM prices corrected a bit back then...

But on what solid basis do you think silver's price would drop at the next crisis drop? (we're still in the same crisis, by the way!)

We're already in a deflationary scenario. Of course, in some countries this is not the case.

I agree with you with regards to silver's direction. I personally expect around 15-17 $ silver this year. But a drop below 15 $ would be way too low. But I can't exclude it.

I suppose if the currency crises (USD, EUR) amplify and bank runs, bank holidays Cyprus-type and other similar "twilight zone" events kick in, people might still turn to silver and gold as a hedge.

I also think the ETF speculators will have the interest to push it up.
    Of course, short-selling to create a cataclysm-crash is a lot easier than manipulating it upwards.
    But those who "play with prices" will want to bring it up again. I am just wondering how high the ball can be thrown again.

Some sort of massive shortage, production cost crisis or major economic problem could propel it up.

Above 47 $ peak was pretty high and I'm still wandering whether that would be "too high" for silver to achieve again within 2-3 years.

Weird paradox: people buy high and sell low. People jump in to buy the expensive assets and they shy away from the cheaper ones.

6. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

One can buy during an entire decade at a bloated price, to then see the price fall to some 'normal' one, with 'normal' being no big profits made inside the market.
    I try to avoid doing that.
    About my 'solid basis', it's an obvious one, and I said it: back in 2008 there were no large silver stocks around. ETF's barely came into existence then. Compare that with the stocks now, even after a 2 years price decline, they just still hold the silver shares and other forms. Ishares SLV 318 Moz, ZKB's ETF 50 Moz, ETF Securities PHAG 33 Moz and SIVR 18 Moz, CEF 77 Moz and others. Look at Sprott, many times mentioned on this forum, Inception Date 29/10/2010, 22 Moz end 2010, to 49 Moz during 2012.
    And all those coins from Mints. 200 Moz ASE's. 120 Moz Maples. 65 Moz Philharmonikers. Perth Mint 14 Moz during 2012-2013. And others.
    This is all stock of a product. Stock that will surely be sold in the next years / decades. They won't throw their silver in the ocean, they will sell it. Me included. In one time, or gradual, doesn't change the average.
    That's just how it is, do you see anything to deny here?

7. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not that you're a "coin collector", but they will appreciate more than an NTR bar lol - You can always flip them in a few years for a nice premium and put the profit back into more silver. :)
    At the end of the day its what is going to be easier to sell. Should always keep the "eventual buyers" in mind. Is a 10 lunar horse or a dirty old NTR bar gonna be easier to sell.
    Yes "silver is silver", untill you go to sell it and realise that ain't the case. ;)

Not a big fan of ATB's... except for maybe the Hawaii Volcano. But that "Mt Nosemore" looks a bit dodgy lol :|

8. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Go with the Kook over the horse? Interesting! I just ordered maple leafs (25th ED & Reverse Proof). Love the Special edition reverse proof the most. It's just that there 1oz coins. If only they had a bigger size. My goal is $5000 dollars of silver a year. Not really an oz goal just the spending goal. So will the lunar horse not be as value maybe in the next 20yrs as the kooka?

9. Mjduzane

Mjduzane New Member

I'd personally go with the australian silver like the kooks or the lunars. Australian silver, to me, is really simple but very attractive/stylish/classy/artsy at the same time. Off that list i'd say you should go with the 2oz horse and/or the kookaburra. The next thing i'm buying is the horse. I love the way it looks

10. Gucci

Gucci New Member

1oz Special edition of the 2014 Canadian Silver Maple Leaf features a Horse privy mark as well as proof-like features, 1oz 2013 25th Anniversary Canadian Silver Maple Leaf, or the 10oz kooka/horse?

What do you think would be the better buy as far as profit in the future? Buying 10 (1oz) of the coins above or the 10oz?

11. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't buy anything with a privy on it. :p especially a 'Canadian Milkspot' with a privy on it. :| Just my opinion lol...

10oz horsie ;)

12. Gucci

Gucci New Member

O god... :( Just looked closey to my 25th Anniversary Canadian Silver Maple & they both had the milkspots on them. However the 1oz Special edition of the 2014 Canadian Silver Maple Leaf was just fine. Probably because it's a different color. Now that I have noticed the milkspots on my 25th I want get another one. But I like the coins below these are special edition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mjduzane

Mjduzane New Member

If you want to remove the milk spots on of the few things you can do is take an eraser and just "erase" them off. I did it to one of my silver eagles and it came off but it left some erase marks on it that you wouldn't notice unless you held it in the light a certain way.

14. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

The fact you spelled "loss" as "lose" tells me I've probably wasted my time trying to find reason to this statement.

15. Gucci

Gucci New Member

mm actually it was suppose to be lost. :rolleyes:

16. TreasureHunter

I'd personally choose the Kooks, because I like birds more than Horses.
    Horses came out very expensive. At least at the dealers I've checked. 2013 Kooks are already very rare. But I like the 2014 design too!
    So while the Kooks are older than the horses, in a weird way I'm seeing lots of dealers selling Kooks cheaper than the Horses. Older coins are often more valued, so I'd go for the older ones.

17. TreasureHunter

I agree with most of what you're saying.

I think because many people jumped on the train late, they are disappointed to see PM prices dip. But if a major economic cataclysm will ignite, you'll want to own PM's!
    I honestly think the EU and the USA will suffer a deep shock until 2020. And even that's quite a late date.

Because people are sitting on their PM stack, it's deflation-generating. It's pretty much like when they sit on cash and it's not circulating.
    PM's now aren't circulating enough. Not in the West. In Asia it's different.
    Not enough buzz, not enough dynamism, not enough demand...

As for ETF's. I believe they will want to liquidate some positions. I think ETF owners are more likely to get out of the market than those who have solid PM's in their pockets. The latter will show more affect, attachment to the metals themselves.

I expect cheaper gold and cheaper silver in 2014. There are lots and lots of bearish signs out there. Including tapering, including higher OPEC oil production (which could mean cheaper oil, which could mean cheaper commodities)... etc. etc.

But where would the "return to normal price" be for gold and for silver?

I still think silver is closer to its "normal" than gold. The latter has a long way down. Silver is closer to the bottom. And because it's an industrial metal, I believe a lot more in silver on the long term.

18. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Ok so I bought at soon as silver went under $20. I went with the horse since it has more votes. O not exactly $370 dollars but....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the chart that influenced my decision. Had to take advantage of this "land slide" :D I didn't catch it at the buttom because I expect it to go up and hopefully go back down but as you can see it went up. But of course silver will go back above $20 this year so the gain could be "Power Level 9000" :eek:

19. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Did you really just drop that kind of dough. On 200 10oz Horse.
    Hope you did your research.
    The Perth mint has the right to remint the lunars until the series is over don't they. Can't remember which denominations. Although this may have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

20. centenario

centenario New Member

I agree that's a lot of money, the price is not bad. I think is not a bad buy the price is decent and you can't go too wrong with lunar series.
    Me personally I would have bought different things such as a lot of nice junk silver, kooks, different lunars, etc...