Westpac ordered to pay $2.7m for misleading client

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by theiain1, Jun 17, 2012.

1. boyracer

boyracer Member

Would you care to elaborate on that? I'm an employee and I work for what I have and want - I don't expect or want anybody to give it to me. I resent being labelled as such and not to mention I see plenty of employers with such an entitlement mentality in this country and the world at large.

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whenever I've been selling stuff (and I've sold a fair amount of stuff) I have had the buyer's interest at heart because if I sell them a product or service that isn't suitable for them then they'll be unhappy with the transaction and my opportunity for repeat business goes out the window.

(Or they sue me, like this guy sued the bank).

I remember one guy who was absolutely convinced he needed a $24,000 widget, but I spent fifteen minutes talking to him to find out what he actually needed this type of widget to do and realised he'd be better off with a $14k widget in the same product range. That was more than eight years ago and I'm still "the guy who saved me ten grand" as far as he's concerned. He's still a customer and I've made way more off him since then (including referral business) than I would have if I'd just taken his money the first time for that really expensive gear.

It's called "being a good salesperson".

3. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

Snip;
    As a past employer I have hi lighted whats in it for you. Unfortunately fair work Australia has succeeded in making my past business model unviable. The reality is I no longer have any employees but I keep all of what I use to earn plus what I paid my employees and their payg tax. No payroll tax, no work cover, no holiday pay, no long service leave, no sick pay, no parental leave pay and no book keeping fees to keep track of all those entitlements.I no longer have to hold jobs for a year while employees took a year off without pay to look after children or find themselves?

I use to provide a river of money for all the employee and government entitlements. The fact that I supplied the initial seed capital and regular cash injections to build my business according to some qualified me as a money hungry greedy employer that should be bled dry at every opportunity.

If you saw the newspapers today you saw two employees and their three children who worked in the printing plants at Fairfax where 1900 jobs are disappearing. I'm afraid this is what you can expect more of.

My elaboration is you need to think about how you can provide for your family if your employer falls over. The best way to start is to set up an SMSF with a corporate trustee and start learning how to operate a business by first running your own self managed superannuation fund. Once you cut your teeth on that then start thinking about starting a small part time business so you have further income that is not dependent on an employer.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

4. boyracer

boyracer Member

NR - that is a lot of words that answers precisely nothing. As an employee I sell my services to an employer. Not really very different to a contractor who provides or sells their services to a customer. An employer could fall over and you could lose your job just as easily as a businesses customer could fall over and your own business could fail. I fail to see any great distinction between the two.

Simply highlighting a few letters in my post really does nothing. I asked you to explain what I saw as a fairly patronising statement and it appears you cannot do so short of some comments about some employees taking some time off to, shock horror raise their children.

For what it is worth I have my own SMSF, I manage my own invesments (always have), know how to run a business but simply choose not to as it does not suit me personally.

Trying to insinuate that you are somehow superior to someone working as an employee is arrogance in the extreme. That could explain why you have had such employee trouble in the past.

Sure some people are losing their jobs. I could also show you plenty of examples of employers begging for govt stimulus (via taxpayer money) to bail them out as their businesses are failing. Do you see that as an entitlement mentality?

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What's the bet they either 1. appeal and bury him in legal work for the next few years, or 2. offer to settle for much less.

6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My short few years as a SMSF trustee have taught me many valuable lessons regarding investing, record keeping, tax minimization, and cost cutting. If you're able to successfully manage and grow a SMSF, then you stand a chance of being able to manage a business. However, being in business is not for everyone, and there are a lot of non-financial skills needed too. For this reason I'm still an employee, but have a side business going in my spare time, hopefully if I went full-time with it I could support my family.

7. nonrecourse

As a Saudi Arabian friend once said to me... "have you so much camel dung in your ears you cannot hear me"?

No mate your a wage slave with an attitude

Clearly you go to work to get paid...its just a job..you sell your time for a bit of fiat

That is why you work for someone else because you lack that vision and do not have the desire to be master of your own destiny. You are happy to be average and that is fine too. I'm a weirdo I jump out of bed in the morning and can't wait to get to work.When my kids were growing up they were taught you choose a career where you go to work and when you lift your head its two hours past the time you should have gone home. You do it because you love it not because of the money.

Money does not make you happy it just gives you choices, some good, some bad.

The highlighting was there to demonstrate like the average employee its all about you

I''m not in the business of subsidising employees childcare issues the shock horror is that we raised our children while we both worked full time in our businesses in the late 1980's early 90's and we did not expect or recieve any dispensation. That was our choice. We all make choices.

Congradulations if you have your own SMSF your in ellite company. To date as you are probably aware there are less than 450,000 SMSF's with less than a million members that hold 31% of all super assets. What doesn't make sense is you say you know how to run a business. Do you actually have a corporate trustee with you and your partner as directors or do you as an individual act as trustee of your super fund ?There are lots of examples of employees who remain employees and retire rich. I hope that is your situation.

There is only one characteristic of Australians that I despise and that is the tall poppy cutters, I take no prisoners online or in real life. If you want me to cut your cojones off and feed them to you;keep it up. :p

Definitely more recent examples are Kodak, GMH, FORD, IBM to mention a few. If I go bust I don't want the government to bail me out. To prempt my critics I have done quite well out of negative gearing. If it was taken away tomorrow I'd still be investing in property because like gold bullion that I use to hedge my investments they are solid real assets that will last the next great depression we are now entering.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

8. boyracer

boyracer Member

Honestly NR what a pointless load of twaddle. I actually find it sad you believe the crap you spew out. Really, you are that threatened by someone challenging your beliefs you come up hollow boasts and empty threats about cutting off cojones and then adding a smiley face. Weak play.

You say you fight against some apparent epidemic of employee entitlement mentality. To be honest it's your kind of deluded, arrogant, holier than thou attitude I find more disconcerting. I'd weep for this nation were you to be in the majority.

9. nonrecourse

Mate your seriously challenged with success you claim you can run a buisness but you choose not to. You don't answer my reply about are you a corporate trustee ?; what a loser go and whine to someone else I'll just ignore you in future.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

10. Guest

Guest Guest

nonrecourse. Where would you be without a nurse who works for someone to wipe your arse if you get sick?

I've employed people also, though I make no judgements on them because I realize it's extremely foolish and wrong to make assumptions about people.

Seriously dude, do you look upon all people who don't own a business as lacking drive? :lol:

11. boyracer

boyracer Member

Most amusing - I've seen more mature responses from 10 year olds. I asked you a simple question and you appear unable to answer yet you demand I answer you. Who gives a toss whether I use a corporate trustee or not and it is certainly none of your business how I manage my affairs.

What I can take from this is you have employed a few people who did not meet your standards of being proper wage slaves who knew their place. Then, using the power of your little mind you have extrapolated this to conclude that all employees have an entitlement mentality when really the only correct conclusion to reach was that you are in fact narrow minded.

Simply coming on to this board and saying you are fantastic cause you run your own business and have vision and stuff and that also you have an SMSF in the top blah blah % of assets does not impress me one bit. That clearly bothers you. What an amazing need for external validation you have. I've never claimed I was better than anybody else. You continually do so. Bragging on the internet. So lame.

12. nonrecourse

Rather than upset the board I'll deal with you in private boyracer expect some mail when I get time

Kind Regards
    non recourse

13. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I need to post i cant help myself .

NR & myself get the same sort of response because we dont sugar coat anything & were both self employed .

I read NRs posts & he just talks straight no bullshit ....like a boss .

That is how business is & why some climb the ladder & some dont .You probably say the same thing about your boss ..The reality is thats why hes a boss he has the right mindset of no bullshit straight to the point attitude thats needed to be in the position .If he was a walkover he wouldnt have the position . its simple .

I have a lot of time for younger people & am always helping them when i can . The one saying i remember from an old friend was "you cant educate idiots " so i help to a point where i think its sinking in but if its going straight over their head i just move on & try to help the next .

Im sure NR has his heart in the right place as i do & sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind . ...like a boss. He tells you your doing a shit job ...now the smart ones will improve their work the idiots will complain about it & not go forward with their career . Thats why theres good & bad in all careers some take it on the chin like an adult & better themselves others refuse to & it ultimately inhibits their chances of promotion or increasing their skills.

Finally to be a boss you need to act & talk like one . Dont let it get under your skin they are most probably trying to help you . Think about it .