Went to a great seminar last night: Jordan Eliseo / David Evans

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by Big A.D., Sep 13, 2012.

1. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I managed to score a ticket to a seminar last night, held (appropriately) at the Sydney Mint Cafe (they've got an old coin press in the foyer from the 1860s - simply tech but knowing it helped churn out millions of "S" mint mark sovereigns was very cool).

First to speak was Jordan Eliseo from LJ Financial Group about protecting retirement savings from the global debt spiral. As we all know, the main reason that hardly any financial planners recommend precious metals is because they don't get a kickback from the fund manager they're recommending, so it was really nice to see someone is using the fee-for-service model instead and giving an honest opinion. He also had a great section in his slide show comparing the mainstream media's thoroughly researched, completely unbiased reporting on finance from 2008 ("the ASX will grow 10% p.a. for the next five years") to now ("the ASX will grow at approximately 9.5% p.a. for the next two to three years") which would have been funnier if it wasn't so cringe-worthy.

Next was David Evans from GoldNerds. This is The Guy With The Spreadsheet and I've only ever read his articles before so it was good to see him speak. He gave an excellent run-down on the history of money creation and the arguments for and against the inflation vs. deflation we'd need to happen in order to get back to some sane debt ratios. He also explained the difference between a "goldbug" and a "GoldNerd" - one thinks gold is always a good investment, the other thinks gold is sometimes a good investment (although he reckons it'll take until the late 2020s before its time to move out of gold and into something else).

It was really good to see speakers with a positive, "go out and grab the opportunity" message rather than harping on about doom and gloom. All in all, it was an excellent night and if they do another one, I'd seriously recommend going and dragging some of your unbeliever friends and family along. Both of them are speaking at the Gold Symposium in October too (which makes the $200 ticket cost a lot less scary now that I've had a sample).