Walking Dead comics

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Sonic, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

It may take some time to really grow in worth, as was the case with Marvel comics, but look how much first editions are worth now. Often thousands of dollars for a single issue. With Walking Dead's massive popularity and still being a relatively new franchise, now might be the time to buy. It might not pay off for decades, but I think it will eventually pay off, big time.

My question is, would it be better to try to buy and collect the whole series, and/or just buy multiple copies of the first issue (as that is always the one that is worth the big bucks, I think it might be best to just purchase the same issue over and over).

I will have to dig a little deeper and make sure I'm looking at the right thing, but a quick eBay search shows that the first issue (if I'm looking at the right one) sells for about $75 currently. Not cheap, but not expensive either, in comparison to what I personally believe they will be worth. Interested to hear other's thoughts on this idea.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have friends who collect comics, none of them are rich. They do occasionally buy earlier issues of things they are particularly interested in but none of them collect as investments.

There are several drawbacks.

Space being the main one, they do take up a fair amount of room.

Cost of storage, you need to have acid and lignin free backing boards and PVC free Sleeves to protect the comics and then you have to keep them in the right sized, stackable, cardboard boxes.

You need to make sure the room isn't too damp so it will need to be well ventilated or in a room with air-conditioning.

The comic industry knows full well that people are going to invest in their comics so they bring out numerous different front covers and promo items.

Like the book industry and newspapers, comics are a dying medium, how big is the market going to be in 20 years time? Are kids today reading comics or is it all just adults (I have never seen a kid in a comic shop)

The Walking Dead is very popular now, by season 20 are we going to be sick to death of it? Prison Break, Lost, Friends, Red Dwarf etc. were all great shows when they came out but by the final series I had stopped watching them.

There are lots of comics coming out all the time. Most will not be a 'Superman 1'. I started collecting Issue #1s of several series just in case, some didn't get Issue #2s and the rest are worthless. Even the Star Wars ones are too numerous to collect and not really worth it.

If you are really interested in any niche market then you can make money at it, you put a lot of effort into it but if you enjoy it, it doesn't feel like work. I would check to see how many comic shop owners are rich before I commit too much money, these people live, breath and work in the industry 24/7 so they should be able to give you some pointers. I would probably go and buy some of the classics, like early spiderman and superman and the X-Men, brands which have stood the test of time and already have a cult following and proven track record of success.

The last stack of comics I had were turned into a nest by a rat or mouse. You also need to keep cockroaches and any other bugs out of them

3. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Good points. I'm not sure if it being a dying medium means it won't stay a good investment, perhaps the opposite is true. Typewriters are an extinct product but they're worth more than ever for the historical value. I'll probably just buy one original #1 issue and see what it's worth when I'm an old man lol

4. Jislizard

Phonecards and stamps are also on their way out as collectibles.

The main problem is getting new people into the hobby to buy all your 'collectibles' when it is ready for you to sell them. Without a constant stream of new people chasing down hard to find items the demand drops. So without constant pushing by the Walking Dead producers this will eventually become one of those old TV shows, like "The Avengers" or "The Prisoner" massively popular back in the day, still has a bit of a cult following and gets released each time they bring out a new format but has a dwindling fan base.

Remember also that typewriters were meant to be used, few exist in pristine condition so finding a good one in working condition that isn't too worn is worth paying a bit extra for.

Comics and other items produced for collectors will rarely get used, they will be kept in ideal storage conditions and some may never even get opened, put aside purely for their future resale value.

I have a complete, illustrated newspaper from 1848, it documents the arrival of the Chinese Junk "Keying" in London, the first vessel of its type ever seen in the country, the Royal Family came out to see it. By all measures this is a fairly historic item, well over 150 years old. I paid 7 for it. There can't be too many around, the condition is fine, but no one except me cares enough about it to put in a bid. Several someones have been storing this newspaper over several generations and all for 7. And this was made to be read and thrown away.

Wouldn't hurt to buy one though, you never know your luck, just hope they don't reprint them... or release the collected comics into a graphic novel, or sell it in a digital format or find an old comic shop stacked to the ceiling with them.

5. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I don't know anything about this niche, but I assumed it wouldn't matter if they reprinted or combined them into a graphic novel, etc. I figured the original issues would still maintain their worth strictly for collectible value.

6. Jislizard

I don't know much about it either, I was trying to collect complete series as well and apparently that is not the way to do it either.

7. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

Some anecdotal evidence: I started collecting Todd McFarlane's Spawn series from number one through to about 120 and had issue one CGC slabbed and graded at 9.9. In the lead up to the live action film issues one through twenty tripled/doubled, when the film bombed and the foray into mainstream failed (too far ahead of its time and poor casting issues) the values fell back to near release prices.

It took me about a year to sell them as a set and didn't get anywhere near I would have hoped for... Same goes for Watchmen, the lead up to the film saw a decent bump but the increase could not be sustained.

Yes you "can" make a small profit on significant issues (first issue obviously and I believe first appearances of Micchone and the Governor) but you would need to find near mint/mint at low prices in order to flip them for something worthwhile.

Just remember Robert Kirkman has stated that he has an ending in mind (for the comic at least) and I can only recall one limited/maxi series that still hold its value: DC's Preacher. If the series declines those values will drop....
    i've learnt that it's better to collect what you enjoy rather for just pure profit.

I will also say at least look at CGC versions, pay that little extra for the certification, buyers appreciate this more.

8. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

You never know which issues might become valuable other than first issues. First appearances of characters that you might dismiss might turn out to be the big one. Look at Hulk and the first appearance of Wolverine, that was number 181.

9. Jislizard

I don't really read comics so I haven't made the effort to start investing in them but I have backed a couple of kickstarter comics, https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/comics they usually have a few exclusives available only to backers, along with the comics.

I only back the ones I want to read but you never know, one of them might go on to do something good. A bit hit-or-miss as an investment though, but you get to have your name in the actual comic on some of them (they misspelled my name ;) )

10. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

They wrote Jizlisard right?

11. Jislizard

I know! How annoying is that! Still, an easy mistake to make, my wife still calls me Lisjizard when she gets tipsy.