Vintage 100 oz A-Mark Extruded Silver Bar

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by Gatito Bandito, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I almost pulled the trigger on a 100oz A Mark but I found that they don't appreciate well on the secondary market . It is nice to see and hold but in this current environment it may just sell at spot plus a bit.

Cool looking bar nonetheless!

3. Gatito Bandito

Are there any 100-oz'ers that appreciate well, aside from relying on spot?

Obviously not in the market for them, but those I have seen in passing, including some cool / more rare vintage ones, don't command a very high premium..

4. Altima

From (my limited) experience, minted/extruded bars don't usually command a premium.

Try to look for older/toned poured silver bars.

5. Gatito Bandito

Just did a quick eBay "SOLD" search..

Best I've seen is an old Handy & Harman that went for between $3,750 - $5,500 USD (offer was accepted, can't tell exact amount) about a month ago.

If someday I were ever to be able to afford one, or spot got whacked hard from here, would love to get my hands on one of these..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9SPn0yOOM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9SPn0yOOM[/youtube]

There was also another YouTuber who got one, but there was a "nice" drill hole on the back -- prior to purchase, he had inquired about it, & the seller had told him it was just an air bubble.. :rolleyes:

6. Altima

I guess it depends on the collector. I don't find those US Assay Office enticing at all. Or the Gold Standard Engelhard bars which are being priced close to 6000 USD.

I believe that he larger the size of the bar, the closer to spot you will have to sell it later on.

7. Gatito Bandito

Well, at least you make one less competitor for it, then.. :D

I got a couple minted/pressed US Assay in 5-oz & 10-oz versions in good condition for a good price.. I think they're pretty cool. No interest in the 1-oz bars & rounds.

I don't "get" the Gold Standard bars.. Agree with you there. Some people pay up for 'em, though, whatever the weight.

Anyway, seems like the 100-oz'ers are more of a novelty & a compact way to store a bunch of Ag. And yeah, relying way too much on spot, for most of them.

Aside from a few exceptions, think I'd rather just buy some gold if I were spending that kind of cash.

8. StackMaster G

StackMaster G New Member

This is actually my YT video. Kind of funny, but I'm a big collector of A-Mark vintage bars. I paid $1,850 for this bar. They can go for much higher. It's a very cool and unique extruded bar, but not my favorite. I have a 100 oz US Assay SF/NY poured bar, which is the holy grail for me. These are much more expensive than the A-Mark. I have more postings on Instagram under stackmaster_g. Thanks for watching my YT video.

9. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

StackMaster,

You are the reason I am broke - First I watch your video on Atlantis mint poured bars. I have to order some. Then I watch your Scottsdale videos. I have to order some. I watch your blue monster box video. I have to order an empty blue monster box.

Please know I really appreciate you taking time to post these videos. It gives me ideas of what I want to consider ordering next.

I did have a chance to pick up that exact A-mark 100 ounce bar from my LCS for $1.15 per ounce over spot. I let it go because that's still a lot of money, and I think those 100 ounce bars are more difficult to sell for a premium.

10. Gatito Bandito

I think you're mixing up videos & YouTubers.. This isn't Silver Slacker. :)

SMG, do you have a YT vid on this? Don't recall seeing it. If not, please make one!

Also, do you happen to know the estimated mintage on the poured US Assay?

Anyway, keep the videos coming.. You've got some nice vintage bars!