VAT for silver from 7 to 19% in Germany (and rest of Europe?)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Blasterhjal, Jun 17, 2013.

1. klacey

klacey New Member

They dont charge VAT, you are right. But on the corfirm order, they have a tick box of pay pre-vat or not. So you could pay for it there and then or risk it.

2. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

For clarity in case there are newbies reading this thread -

Goods sold in the Channel Islands may be tax free as they leave the seller but they are subject to 20% VAT arriving into the UK.
    A coin now and again might slip under the radar but this is likely to be quite rare.
    If a coin does get intercepted ( likely ) by the Royal Mail not only will you pay the 20% VAT you will also pay a handling charge of about 8.
    Factor this cost into your landed cost and compare with Atkinsons before placing your order in Guernsey.

3. klacey

klacey New Member

This is all very true and should be done at your own risk.

Im trying many different areas to get the best deals, this is just one of them, but its hit or miss.

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I checked some sites from dealers in Estonia, and the premiums are indeed high enough to make it not worth the bigger distance purchase / higher shipping costs.
    Aside of that, the 3 I found were all out of lowpremium / common silver. The same situation as in Germany.
    What does make me wonder is this: all dealers from other countries, that aren't using the reduced tax German import bypass, have everything deliverable from stock.
    And the US Mint ASE sales figures to primary dealers sit on their lowest this year, with december even less than half the 'normal' 2013 month.
    Now put yourself in the place of a German dealer. Selling precious metals / silver is their income. One would expect that they do everything they can to not have to refuse orders due to out of stock. And there were no sudden surprises that might have them catched. The remaining explanation is that they voluntarely chosed to bring their silver coin stock to zero. Why? Because they expect lower prices in the near future, and don't want to sit with a stock bought at old higher prices?
    This all just encourages me to not hurry to add another chunk, and to have patience, as other market figures also suggest.

Another remark about Estonian dealers, the way the tax of the country of the ordering person is avoided, is by letting that person ordering the shipment himself. This way the place of the goods ownership transfer is the remote / dealer country instead of the local / buyer country, and considered as a 'pick up'.
    I consider this all 'goofy'. It's just another loophole that one day will be shut too.
    Alot places already talk about the eventual German reduced tax application shutdown as if it's a fact. We'll see over a couple weeks. I hope it's not. On the other hand, if the silver price drops more, it may undo the tax difference.

5. Photonaware

Another reason is long Christmas holidays and shortage of staff as they get laden with Christmas cheer.
    Bad time to ship PMs with Gluwein and Jaegermeisters in abundance ..Prost !!

6. Pirocco

That happens every year but this plethora out of stocks doesn't. :p

7. klacey

klacey New Member

Haha i have been hunting around my usual hunting grounds and out of stock seems to hitting them all. Still i got a few last minute deals in. :)

8. Photonaware

My stacking story then in the New Year the price drops a further 20% :D

9. klacey

klacey New Member

I would love the price to drop for silver bullion coins as starting in Jan I will be opening a business account on ebay. See how it goes. I predict a profit somewhere between 10-20%. :)

10. JB3

JB3 Member

Hello.

I buy all my silver coins from Europe Silver Bullion in Estonia. Slight mark-up on gross prices, takes about a week to arrive, but never had a problem with them and they are still VAT-free (for another week at least!).

They also provide 3 months' free storage if you want to group purchases together to save postage.

11. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wont sale prices fall 20% and you lose profits with your already purchased metals when selling?

Dont quite get what your so happy about.

12. Photonaware

Let the forum know your eBay name so we can consider bidding.

13. klacey

klacey New Member

If the prices went down i would buy a ton and wait till they shot up again. I would not lower my prices, as im pretty sure some dont follow the price and just want the coin. Im in no rush to make a profit, its just another way to keep my interest up. A bit of fun really. I got maybe 50 coins to list and see how it goes. If they sell and i make something on them, great. If they dont i still have my silver. Win win really.

14. klacey

klacey New Member

I will post a link when i have some up. Not sure i will do bids yet, or just buy nows. I ordered 20 pandas ranging from 2010-2014. I think these will do well. :D

15. Pirocco

I just checked that Estonian Europe Silver Bullion dealer, and common bullion prices are even higher than a much closer dealer (a belgian one, GoldSilverBelgium), with the shipping of the latter being just a small fraction (at least for me).

16. klacey

klacey New Member

Have any of you used Apmex, the prices are crazy cheap. Minimum order of $1500 though. But this could be an option.

17. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think there's a min order from their ebay account. Free shipping as well.

18. klacey

klacey New Member

Thanks Altima, i will check that out. Working out the silver cost, VAT and delivery, it would still be cheaper then buying locally. How sad is that, having to shop thousands of miles away and works out cheaper then shopping in you own country.

19. JB3

JB3 Member

Interesting. Not seen that one before. The bullion prices are about the same as you say (about 17.70euros per Phil).

In small(ish) quantities, though the postage to the UK is more expensive from the Belgian dealer (29euros vs 19). Larger deliveries, it looks like it goes the other way.

20. klacey

klacey New Member

I have had a good look at Europe Silver Bullion. I was tempted, but i think i will wait till i can place a larger order.I delivery does effect the price quite abit.