Valuing collectable coins and semi-numismatic coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Prospector Stone, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Prospector Stone

Prospector Stone Member

Hey stackers,

I'm new to stacking and I was hoping to ask advice from you on where I can find the value of coins.

Could you point me in the direction of a place on this forum where the values of coins are? Or is there a book I should study?

At the moment, I'm interested in Semi-numismatics with high premiums (so far I've just got some Panda's) I also quite like Australian pre-decimal coins particularly Crowns and I am also looking at uncirculated $2 remembrance day coins.

Any advice or insights will be greatly appreciated as I am green and there is so much to learn!

Thanks a lot!

2. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Hmmm...

When it comes to Numismatics I think there are other excellent forums. I've found this is mainly for stackers although there are a few here with numismatic knowledge, there doesn't seem to be a lot of conversation about it. Pre-decimals are a pretty interesting area.

My suggestion is to join numismatic forums and attend any numismatic meeting and/or coin fairs near you.

My novice advice is:
    * Learn to use a loop
    * Learn the high point of a particular coin and how it can wear
    * Go slow

3. argento

argento Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi P.S.

Firstly welcome to the forum.

The forum has its own Numismatic section and a large number of members are extremely knowledgeable in this field.

I also found when I first joined the forum, that attending one of the monthly silver stacker meets is also another avenue for obtaining and sharing knowledge.

Would suggest getting to know some coin dealers in your area.....I think you will find if you attend a meet, they should be able to advise which dealers are reputable.

I have found the "Coins and Bank Note" hand book to be a great tool.......its not the Holy Grail , but contains valuable information when it comes to Australian numismatics.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Greg MacDonald publishes a yearly price catalogue on Australian coins. Around $30, you should be able to pick last year's up for about $5.

The prices are a bit high, but it should give you an idea and it is full of mintages and info on varieties etc.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the SS forum.

Value is a funny thing. In my view, value is quite subjective. You can have book value....but book value on many coins can greatly vary from what the value is in the real world (public sales, auctions, etc).

One excellent resource I and many others I know use to value a coin is to review the "sold" listings on eBay. eBay is probably by far the largest venue for the sale of numi and semi-numi coins in the world and so by default it becomes an excellent resource. But it's important to look at "sold" listings only because if you look at current price offerings, you will not be getting an accurate picture of what collectors are actually paying for that type of coin.

6. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi and welcome.
    If your new to stacking then the first thing to do is decide why are you stacking. If you are stacking as a way to protect your wealth then numismatics may be a risk until you are better educated in them. The perceived value of one coin over another may vary with different opinions and different tastes over time.
    Pandas were once widely discussed here but with the changes to next years coin seeing the weight and AG removed from the markings some collectors have been put off buying future releases.
    If your looking for a quick profit on a quick flip then definitely invest in an education about what you are buying before you buy it, or you may find yourself like a lot of stamp and banknote collectors, out of pocket when the fade falls out of favour.

And here is a great place to ask question. Hundreds of active members all with different interests and bits of knowledge that can be picked up for free along the way.
    Happy stacking.

7. smaugshoard

smaugshoard New Member

Values are very market driven. You know a coin will be worth at least the metal it contains or the face value. After that you really just have to check out what it is selling for. Online auction sites give a good indication of what something is going for. Some publications also produce a price sheet used by dealers. Going to coin shows gives another good idea what things are going for. Just be careful with high premium modern coins. If something has a lot of hype it can sell out at the mint quickly and then have a glut of sellers online trying to double the price. I try to get things from the mint or wait a few months and let the price settle down. Sure there are some times where the price keeps going up but I call that a miss and still have money in my pocket to swing at the next pitch