Value of damaged Perth Mint offerings

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jislizard, Apr 30, 2012.

1. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Oh yeah! NOW I got it. I thought you were confused about silver content, when it was me that was confused about the way you work out the value!
    How stupid do I feel now! Thanks for clearing that up.

2. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

oh harsh. just stick to 999 footyhead, then you wont have to think too much :p

3. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

"Never argue with an Idiot.. They beat you on experience"

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think Footy is asking why junk silver is not worth less than spot?

For instance, any 999 bar or coin has a "fabrication" premium built into the price to cover the cost of manufacture.

FC is suggesting junk silver should have a "melt" discount built into the price to cover the cost of processing and refining at a later date. (I think that is what he is saying?)

However, Footy, I think the value is based on oz's silver in possession, not possible future costs should you choose to refine.

^^ This is just retarded.

5. Azure

Azure Active Member Silver Stacker

I see your point footycard, however;

1: I believe refiners costs in bringing the silver to .995 again are minimal when doing it in quantity. So there is a bit of a floor there.
    2: With the pre-45 silver, it is sterling ( 92.5% or .925 ) and the jewellery market can take this and use it as. (i.e: almost all silver jewellery is sterling.)
    3: If the refiner is selling to a jeweller...... you can draw your own conclusions here.
    4: 50c aren't legally allowed to be melted down, ( still circulating legal tender. ) so have "NO USE" in an industrial aspect (yet), purely and simply a monetary metal value standpoint.
    5: the coins themselves are a !great! method of completing a transaction. ( ummm, they actually were money. ) thus, appeals greatly to the non-premium-numismatist, history buff, shtf'er, "heart-a-stacker" and what i like to call the "silver in my pocket warrior", who disseminates the word of AG to the masses with a piece of "hold and feel" history! :cool:

Considering the general public blindly pay 200% and upwards for mass produced Stirling silver jewellery ( see now the viability of a 50% off sale... ), and that's if its not plated on copper, or hollow.
    The "SPOT" value, the way i understand it at least, IS the cost of attainment of ASW silver in any form. then add your premiums from there.

Plus their is a market simply for "well aged" and 'unique' coins, rocks or bars; some people it seems like specific patinas on coins, like antique furniture; it doesn't need to be .999 to be valued at "spot", its simply the floor if its not "special".

Others disagree, and then there's the low-ballers. but your entitled to your opinion, just like everybody else.

:cool:

6. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

I'll buzz the lot for $4.50