Upcoming Release

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Elemental, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Just looking at the upcoming releases on the Perth Mint sight and as to be expected there are a number of lunars in there (see link). http://www.perthmint.com.au/forthcoming-releases.aspx

The one that caught my eye was the sixth one down

2013 Australian 1oz Silver Proof High Relief Collection

What is this High Relief Collection?

Has this been discussed someshere on the forum already and I missed it?

Are they releasing previous years lunars in high relief?

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. somethingsilverrelated

somethingsilverrelated Member Silver Stacker

They really go way OTT don't they! Baby horse!!?? Rectangle coin!!?? Its all a bit boring really.. Only been doing this for a little while but it seems Ive come in at the wrong time. The bullion coins are great but the others are really overpriced. They've flooded the market with too many variations of what is essentially the same product. Its the same with so many consumables. Were spoiled for choice, which in most instances is great and creates competitive prices. However when you are purchasing a collectable looking for potential future increases in value it is not so great. The appeal is scarcity which Perth Mint coins now lack. The only reason I now see to purchasing one is actual interest in the subject mater of the coin. Id first have to get over feeling like I was being ripped off however.

4. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Baby lunar .... rectangular already started since dragon series. Nothing new.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks like another dragon overkill. I'm going back to my kook collecting. They sure do know how to flood the market with one themed coin. Wow.

6. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Not just the Perth Mint doing over saturation, a couple other mint's too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Lunar series theme...12 year set run is good for increasing value but I agree with others who denounce the Perth Mint over saturation of some of these years....like who needs 15 different colored dragons or 15 different colored snakes anyway?

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It's not only the collector PM Lunar coins that are being over priced...some of the bullion has been dealt that blow too. What drives the PM to mint all those varieties is the fact that they can get dealers and sellers of their products to hype it. The 2012 Dragon bullion coins are a good example that I was victim to myself. I was new and bought into the hype. Today, of course, the hype is no longer in on the Dragon but on the Horse. In the long run, I don't know if the over saturation and the hyping will hurt or help the Lunar series but what I can tell you is that I have been losing some favor with these coins in the last several months becoming acutely aware of more things than I was at the beginning of the year. Over saturation and hype tends to kill my interest.

9. Razz

Razz Member

deleted