Unusual sources of wealth

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Ozboy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I think any finds of ambergris in Australia are forfeit due to our whaling stance. Unintended consequences - make dealing in whale products illegal to oppose whaling, find ambergris on the beach and it's illegal to trade :/

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Making it illegal to trade probably results in more whales being killed.

Less ambergris on the market = higher price = higher bounty for killing whales.

As usual stupid laws backfire.

4. kjf

kjf New Member

Nope.

Your 'equation' is correct. What you've failed to acknowledge is the fact that, with these "stupid laws", there will be less ambigris on the market.

Less ambigris on the market = less whales killed (leaf out of your book, or perhaps, an '='?).

Higher bounty yes. More people interested, yes. More whales killed? Nope - provided the law is enforced.

- An intoxicated and slightly aggravated kjf.

5. willrocks

Less whales killed in Australia, but more whales killed elsewhere. Whales migrate.

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

willrocks, surely you are not serious.
    I'm not getting into this debate... ahh, i can't help but comment on such a wrong statement.

Making it illegal to trade internationally results in less whales being killed.

Less ambergris on the market = higher price = higher bounty for killing whales.

it is not the same as ivory when even peasants with a gun can go get some. Whaling is more costly. Yes the higher price for the ambergris, but less traded overall.
    Definately not stupid laws considering they wetre nearly hunted to extinction.

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I thought ambergris was exclusively from sperm whales. I think Japan still take about 10 per year.

That compares to 770,000 taken post WWII until 1980 (according to Wikipedia), an average 22,500 per year.

8. willrocks

Don't be naive, Whales still get hunted. They always will. Especially if parts of them fetch high prices.

Making it illegal doesn't stop it, it just makes the price higher, and creates a black market. Hunters will simply move to countries where it's legal, or places they can bribe authorities.

9. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

10. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

I don't eat either :) .. not have any interest at hunting an animal for financial gains, nor condone it. People need to understand the REASONS for doing something or not doing something for it to change- regardless of whether it is illegal or not.

Speeding is illegal, but people still speed (for one reason or another), as is possession/use of cannabis (it hasn't stoppped that either). If people ask themselves all the questions as to whether they think it is justified to commit an act or not and their answer is in the affirmative, it's going to happen.

Have to change minds. It produced a more educated people and happier results. Not sure if you can tell, but I'm more than disillusioned with our current ways of dealing with criminals. It's just another silly symptom of this messed up way of looking at how to govern a society. Delusions of grandeur and perpetual hope for utopia. There will ALWAYS be criminals as viewed by our current system. What people don't realise is that we are ALL criminals. If the system were to have its way with unlimited resources, we would all literally be in prison and be continually prosecuted. Gaols would be overrun and society as we know it would grind to a halt. The same people funding the operation would be convicted of crimes, thus taking them out of the market place, thus reducing funding to the system..eventually it implodes and all the 'criminals' are set free to work and fund the system all over again!

We are SO smart!... grumble grumble grumble..

11. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm disillusioned about the current ways of making people who have done nothing against anyone except themselves criminals and yet make other people who do infringe on others rights above the law.

12. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Did I hear someone say LIBOR ? :rolleyes:

13. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are Dugong's like whales? :)