Unrest spreads across Arab world

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Guest, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/20/3143496.htm

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/libya-...es/story-e6frfkyi-1226008849977#ixzz1ERaju4Dj

2. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Let's all hope it's a call for Democracy in these countries & not a brotherhood call to arms & the defeat of the infidel !

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Of course its a call for a liberal democracy, youd be watching different scenes on tv had it been for the other thing.

They were dealt JJ preflop and Israel is holding AA.

(ps. AA doesnt stand for Atomic Arsenal, it stands for Aces :p )

4. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

First democracy - Then poker machines on every street corner !

5. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

I wonder how hard it is to do a smash-and-grab on those gold vending machines there....carpe diem. :p

6. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

I suspect these riots were initiated by the US.

7. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think they've been influenced more by Wikileaks than the United States.

The US response to the protests in Egypt has been (in order):

"We support the Egyptian government"
    then
    "The Egyptian government should address the people's grievances"
    followed by
    "There needs to be an orderly transition of power"
    to
    "Umm...we should probably shut up now".

Having Wikileaks tell the world that America privately thinks the Middle East is basically run by nutjobs (despite what they say about all the national leaders in public) is, IMHO, more likely to have started people thinking about how crap their governments are and that they should do something about it. Not that the U.S. couldn't be acting behind the scenes or anything because they have a long history in mucking about in Middle Eastern politics, but I think the wave of protests seems more organic than a typical American-backed coup.

8. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

It's never easy to tell how much involvement the US govt has in these affairs.

I think they would've preferred Egypt not to erupt.

I had a dream the other night, or a late night insight, not sure of the difference anymore ;) about Iran and Iraq actually desiring to form two new nations. One Shiite and the other Sunni. Moving their borders for both their mutual benefit, irregardless of the views of outside western influence.

Also, saw a doco or a preview, mentioning the fact that just because the "leader" has been deposed, and/or his Party taken from power, makes absolutely no difference to who's running the country still.

Our revolutions have to shift, from taking out the governments, to taking out the banks.

9. perthsilver

It just seem strange that it started in Egypt.
    The US has been trying to get a foothold in Africa for years, and what better place than egypt. It has most of the fresh water, it borders the suez canal, its on the mediterranean (access to europe), it neighbours the middle-easter countries, and it has oil. What more could you want in a foothold.

10. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Great dream, that would be an ideal Utopian for the Muslims if it could exist. Unfortunately they hold small ancient tribal areas, speak all sorts of local dialects and are fiercely territorial. Then there's the Christians in the Iran / Iraq mix, leftovers from the Crusades. What would you do with them ?

11. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Well, the revolutions kicked off in Tunisia first.

The US must have anticipated the domino affect though, and Mubarack was already a US ally, so it would be an daring gambit. Maybe their target is Iran.

Even if they didn't instigate the spark that set this off (i.e. distributing "how to riot" brochures via their NGO puppets) they are likely to push hard to have their stooges elected in any election.

12. perthsilver

True. US stooge, just like Iraq.

I also found this interesting
    http://georgewarren.blogspot.com/2007/10/gold-standard.html

"But, in 2000, Saddam Hussein of Iraq, announced his oil would be sold only for Euro's, not U S dollars. Shortly thereafter, he switched his $10 billion UN reserve fund from dollars to Euro's. Since then, the Euro has re-valued upwards from 82 cents to $1.33 against the US dollar. Iraq has the world's 4th largest oil reserve. If all 11 OPEC countries switched to the Euro for oil sales, the dollar would probably deflate another 20 to 40%. Could this be seen as a problem warranting an invasion? About 2 months after Saddam's fall, Iraq oil sales and its UN reserve fund both reverted to the U. S. dollar.

Neighbor Iran has the world's 3rd largest oil reserve. Historically, oil has been traded on only 2 exchanges. The U. S. NYMEX, and the British IPE. Iran is setting up a new oil exchange that will trade in Euro's. It is called the Iranian Oil Bourse (French for exchange). What might this do to the value of the U. S. dollar? What would be its effect on U. S. / Iran relations?"

13. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

they were only located in the Gulf states, and these countries will be the last to join any arab "unions".

A muslim Cleric ( Sheikh Imran Hosein ) predicted ( in a video on youtube in 2003 ) that a revolution would take place in one of the arab states to topple the
    government. He reasoned that the 1st government to be toppled would be that of Jordan. ( As its closest to Israel geographically, and has half of its population
    as Palestinians ), he said that Al-Jazeera would be heavily used to foment these revolutions and that the aim of them would be to create a casus bellum for
    the state of Israel to use a pre-emptive attack on the surrounding arab states.
    He said that the state of Israel would take all the land from the River Nile ( upper north delta + Sinai ) to the river Euphrates in anticipation of their Messiah.

The fact that the 1st Domino fell in Tunisia is very very strange, they werent oppressed as other states, ( Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Algeria, Egypt, Marocco, Yemen) were all
    more likely to have had the first domino. But it wasnt to be, the Tunisian president was PAID TO DO WHAT HE DID AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY SO SMOOTHLY THE WAY HE
    DID , TO PROVIDE OTHER ARABS THE INCENTIVE TO DO WHAT THEY STARTED DOING IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

14. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

Not just Middle East now, here ya go Canada joining in now, next stop US......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12517062

Interesting to note this article says it was the 5th day of protests and yet it just made the news here as opposed to everywhere else on 1st day!

15. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

And this comment just makes my stomach turn when I hear all this rhetoric that the republicans or democrats want to cut this and cut that. One wants big cuts, the other wants smaller cuts. Cut 700 mill from food assistance to the poor, axe the free medicare system for the uninsured, but:
    and quote:
    "Despite that, the Pentagon would be awarded $8 billion more this year in a budget that totals around $700 billion for the year." And where's the military budget cuts? Defence or Offence.

They're a crazy bunch those yanks.

We've gotta be careful of them. Keep a keen second eye on them.

16. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Isn't Wisconsin in the USA?

17. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Member

18. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

mmm, i thought the same.

19. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

Linky said Canada, and I was a bit fast on the pasting. Apologies I should've known!! doh

Indeed it is in the US :cool:

20. donpaulo

donpaulo New Member

the US is reaping what she sowed

what I find of interest is how democracy is good as long as its the US army that is "creating" it, but when its a true groundswell the media goes to the fear card.

"oh no the muslim brotherhood !" its laughable

meanwhile all around the Royal House of Saud, the middle east burns.

Anyone want to speculate how many saudi's will be shot down on the street to keep the monopoly of Royal Saudi crude flowing ?

my guess is enough bodies to send the movement into hiding.

Might be good enough for Tunisia, Egypt or even Libya but they don't roll like that in the Kingdom