unopened roll pennies..

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by shinymetal, May 17, 2014.

1. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

Just picked up a roll of 1964 pennies..
    It was unopened untill some IDIOT! !at the opshop opened it up to check what was inside.. the roll is still mostly intact.. just cracked at one end.. shame thou..
    What would such a thing be worth do you lads and ladies think??
    are penny rolls common?? But the wrap looks old..
    doesnt have a bank name on it.. it is in a plastic bag, i'll open it up for closer inspection when i get home! ! Pretty excited!!!

2. shinymetal

Just noticed some pen writing on it... (sonething) from bank
    J?b maybe the b is a L ?? i got a nice feeling i found this!!

3. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yes they are relatively common and not worth a massive amount Unless you have a good roll with high quality coins inside. I would suggest you minimise your contact with the roll until you get some good 2x2's to seal them in, below is a link to what I use and the correct size 2x2
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lighthou...27?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item257bff3c43
    then you can sell them, store them, show them off. if you have any with rainbow toning be extra careful! they are worth more
    on a side note if I get a roll of pennys I would break them out in a heart beat

4. shinymetal

I'll glove up and check them out when i get home..
    See if i have anything worthy!!

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

take pics :)

6. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Whats special about 1964 pennies? Or is it just that they could all be new?

7. shinymetal

I thought they might all be mint.. but nope.. peaked a few at the top.. just that they are in a bank roll is pretty cool i thought. Looks like they've being wrapped up for quite a while. even thou someone at the shop cracked the top to see what was inside.. :p haven't got around to looking thru them all yet..

8. Battling_on

Battling_on New Member

Hi,
    New on here as I am to collecting, I bought a few jars of old pennies at a garage sale and have just started going through them, one is a real orange colour and shiney but starting to tarnish, I've taken a photo so I could upload it so anyone who reads can see comparison however the photo from my tablet still doesn't show just how orange it is ( and I can't seem to find where to upload the photo on here )..would it just be an average, normal penny ? Sorry if the question seems docile but pretty new to this..it is a 1964 penny , also have a 1951 in there that's more a gold colour along with a 1925 ,1946 and 1930 though I'm not sure if the 1930 is the real deal ( and I don't know how to tell the difference or what they are all worth , have just been told by a friend to hold on to them ) so any guidance into where to find out more about them would be appreciated ( sorry if I've posted in wrong spot )

9. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

Post photos - would love to see them.

If you do happen to have the three rarest australian pennies - congrats - a great buy.

10. Battling_on

Battling_on New Member

I can't seem to be able to upload photos , I cannot see anywhere / button that allows to ad images ,can you tell me what I'm looking for please so I can

11. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

The top menu bar below the site banner

12. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

13. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try imgur.com/upload

14. Battling_on

Battling_on New Member

Ahhh thanks, I was wondering why I kept getting the "you do not have permission to upload"message ...time to read the forums and post until I can upload ..thanks for your help :)

15. ausau

ausau Active Member Silver Stacker

Whatever you do, DON'T clean them, don't even rub them with a cloth or your fingernail till you get them verified.

16. Battling_on

Battling_on New Member

No cleaning, right, got it ;) a few that are in one jar look as though they have been cleaned only because I can see streaks across them and some are a salmon colour with tarnished marks left across them ,most seem ok and have the usual colouring of what I have seen , a few have quite Matt red colouring, others a rainbow ish tone (in the later dates ) most are the brownish colouring I've seen before and ofcourse the orange shiney one which I've never seen before ..I'll keep posting so I can share some photos and get some opinions ,there a 1942 one where the head really stands out but I think it's been cleaned as it's pinkish and some places have a really black look , to me looks like someone has actually drawn on it with black marker , the gold coloured ones from 1951 one has spotting across it , the other looks ok but not sure if it's been cleaned .Ill fiddle with camera and try and get the best images possible and see what you think of these few , the 1930 from what I've been reading today I think it may not be legit , the others I think are .

Now, to verify them , do I just pop into a coin shop or are there specific places ?

17. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any coin shop should be able to verify them. Where are you located?

18. Battling_on

Battling_on New Member

Thanks, found local coin shop however they charge $80 per hour to look at them so something I need to wait a few weeks for. One I'm quite interested in knowing about is one old pop had stored in a sock of all places ,the strike is very clear and all the pearls at the top of the crown going through the centre are showing as clear as day there's two on the band that are not as strong as the other 6 but the rest of the strike is quite strong .There was a 1913 and 1917 hidden in there ,the 1913 has a really good strike too, the rims are quite deep if that makes sense on it and the strike is the clearest I've ever seen on a 1913 ,due to the strike ,ofcourse I thought I hit gold ,until I discovered there was no actual proof coin for the 1913 , the 1917 , there's just something about it that has me thinking I wonder ...more then likely it isn't any thing overly special but I'm quite intrigued after only seeing quite weak strikes or not being able to see the strike clearly at all .

19. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

I used to be quite clever at 'rolling' coins back in the olden days. The rolls we used to get from the mint/cash department were all new, and had a rolled paper edge on the ends, not just folded.

Pain in the butt! Bags are better!

OC