Unfortunate Timing with a Dealer Today

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Numismatist, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Just want to share and vent my experience in trying to buy some Silver coins today.

I rang up a local dealer and asked if they had a reasonable amount of stock (100oz) on 2013 1 oz Silver Kookaburras and was told there was plenty, So I said great i'll be in later today to buy. Literally within 5 minutes, and before I was able place my order the Dealer whacked a 50 cent surcharge solely on top of the 2013 1oz Kooks.

How do i know this? well I have been watching the prices like a hawk for the last few days and I screen capped the website earlier this morning (had browser unrefreshed) and also took a screenshot of prices after I had placed the call and told them that I wanted a box. see attached

So after the phone call to the dealer this extra increase in price would have cost me $50 extra if I had decided to purchase the 100oz from them, now instead i'm to buy something else and give my business to another competing dealer literally a street away.

The important thing to note is not the exact spot price being asked but instead how the dealer pegged the price comparative to other Perth mint coins.

This Morning
    [​IMG]

This Afternoon
    [​IMG]

2. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

there are many possible reasons for that happening, you better be careful as that borders on defamation

3. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Not if it was done right after the call, also no names mentioned so he can't really be pegged with that claim.

4. hem9

everyone who buys bullion knows the site and as I said there are many possible reasons so alleging something without proof and the possibility of causing them financial damage is all the elements of defamation.

5. hem9

look at the two pics, it says morning then afternoon. So it was not immediate and in those intervening hours anything could have happend

6. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I read it as the price changed right after the call. if there is any significant time between the 2 images then spot movement and/or stock volumes are more likely the reason it changed obviously.

7. hem9

the proof is the pics and the detail of the pics are clear: morning & afternoon. The rest is he said/she said conjecture, which is no way admissible. The point is anything could have happend between the pic in the morning and afternoon, the OP is already stating what happend based on his opinion and not fact but which the meaning is clearly defamatory to the business and we all know who the business is.

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for sharing the experience. Don't see how this is defamatory as it helps us stackers in the long run. The website owner in question is always free to give their side of the story to clear any doubts and do some damage control.

9. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Seems a bit strange though only that item went up in price . Maybe wanted $50 for a long lunch .

10. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

maybe just increasing of premium on 2013 coins as other 2 are 2014. it may seem weird as you asked about them today

edit : because '13 cant be minted all websites have done it a while ago as soon as '14 came out

11. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

The '13 kooks premium increased from the '13 koala well before the '14 releases

12. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I think the funny bit is if it was a shonk move they have to leave the price 50c dearer for good or all will be exposed lol

13. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

^^^ ;)

14. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

i just had a look they are same price again

15. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Today there has been a 50 cent price hike compared to the 2 other Perth Mint 1oz coins at the price points highlighted in the screen shots posted and this is an observation I have witnessed.

My original post was about my experience of not being able to lock in an order before the price rise by the matter of minutes so perhaps I am just unlucky. I am of course unsure exactly as to why the price change occurred nor do i make any claims as to why it happened either.

This could be explained by the yet unnamed and unknown dealer if they wish to engage in this thread and share with us why this occurred. It is important to note it is not the spot price changing that is the issue, rather its the difference in pegging the price according to other Perth Mint coins.

The dealer has every right to charge what they think the market will pay and change prices accordingly. Especially on items that are no longer available from the original manufacturer.

I also notice you are a site sponsor too....

16. hem9

A site sponsor does not mean anything, I paid so I can help this forum (that is what site sponsor means and not some secret code for dealer)

17. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Are you serious, how is posting a series of true events defamatory? If he said "he raised the price to rip me off" it might be. All he said was he called and 5mins later the price was increased.
    Your statement is actually defamatory hem9.

18. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

It also might be construed that a site sponsor might be biased :/ AND by mentioning the word defamation to a forum poster who really didn't state any business name in his posting could be a 007 way of threatening this poster or other posters from informing the forum community of "possible" dodgy or NOT dodgy practices amongst dealers. :/ It never ceases to amaze me ? that is, ulterior motives :rolleyes: there are no free lunches in this world :|

19. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

28.64 -> 28.94 is a +0.30 increase

31.24 to 31.04 is -0.20
    where

28.64 to 28.44 is a -0.20 drop

so differential is 0.50

20. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Look at the price of the other 2 Perth Mint silver coins. And at the quantities that are highlighted.

They were the same and seemed pegged together, however they ended up 50 cents cheaper than the Kook.